Melbourne Football

AFL 2014 Season

toogood18

Macedonian teams in the AFL: 1

Greek teams in the AFL: 0

Italian Teams: 1 (Carlton obviously - Just look at the NSL Failure, they even kicked out Brunswick Juve to be the only Italians in town.)

And TBH a fuckload of Berger supporters do support Collingwood, crowd numbers are always down when their games clash and u see Pies gear at games. (Obviously nowhere near enough to justify the stupid 90's Merger thing)

The large amount of Greek Pies supporters is because of the large population of Greeks that lived in Collingwood - Fitzroy after the war. This was also the reason why Alexander (First based in Fitzroy b4 moving to Heidelberg) became such a strong club to justify NSL Status.

A stack of Bergers fans are also P.A.O.K fans (As the share similar cultural and political ties to Heidelberg) and they also wear Black and White Stripes like the Pies.

(A lot of the older Berger fans wear P.A.O.K gear at Berger games).

Also the OG Freo Home Jumper - Had Red - White -Green across the top of it on purpose to represent the Italian community of Fremantle, however this is not very well known and when PPL over there find out its not like they would care.

Edited by cadete

Yeah that was another reason but I was told by the Head of the WAFC at the time (He was also my fathers boss) that they also wanted the Italian Colours. (I have to admit is was pretty cool looking over the heads and see the Green and Reds light though...)

Out of interest they decided on the Italian colours first and then did massive polling for the final colour, Purple came back so immensely popular they decided to make this the Primary Colour of the Club.

So that's how the Purple Army was born.

Edited by cadete

In the vote I think there was also Pirates - Dockers was always the best out of the option IMO and most locals, only problem was the fact that the word Dockers cant be printed by itself on Scarves and Beanies because of the USA Jeans Company (Who Osti designed for at one stage).

However to be honest FREO on such gear has been a good look in most PPL's eyes.

They probably would have been the Sharks if East Freo had not became the Sharks in the early 80's (From Old Easts) so it was never going to happen due to all the South fans...

However at a very very early stage it was suggested that the AFL were thinking of getting Sydney to wear NSW colours so that a Fremantle Sharks side could wear South Fremantle (South Melbourne) Jumpers... but thankfully this was quickly dismissed.

Edited by cadete

Are you seriously still mad at Bomber thompson? He won you two flags and gifted Johnson the third. Would be a hero of mine if it had of been my club, regardless of him moving.

lets not pump him up too much. geelong couldnt loose in 07 - players simply outclassed any team in the league. I hold him largely responsible for the 08 grand final loss, and theres also a fair chance Ablett junior would still be at the club if it wasnt for him.

lets not pump him up too much. geelong couldnt loose in 07 - players simply outclassed any team in the league. I hold him largely responsible for the 08 grand final loss, and theres also a fair chance Ablett junior would still be at the club if it wasnt for him.

All he had to do in 08 was move one player - get that goal, and we would have got on with it and won...

Just saw the geelong bandwagon dropped off at simmonds stadium.

Looking pretty light now :P

My mum knitted my first Hoops b4 I was born, and I started attending Cats games regularly in 1988...

I saw us lose 4 Grand Finals years before we ever won one in 2007...

Bandwagon?

What were u doing in 1988 ya flog?

Not a Geelong hater, but glad this era is coming to an end.

Utmost respect fro all involved (even if some are individually flogs) and i'll look back as a neutral and be glad I saw this team play.

Surely this is it though?

I really doubt it:

1. Our VFL side has made the Prelims in the VFA showing the young talent at the club.

2. We debuted 10 kids this year alone - Only GWS debuted more kids...

3. And then u have the following list:

Young FF - Walker

Youngish CHF - Hawkins

Young Small Forward - Motlop

Young Medium Sized Forward - Menzel

Young Ruckman/ Forward - Vardy

Youngish Mid - Selwood

Youngish Mid - Varcoe

Young Mid - Christensen

Young Mid - Duncan

Young Defender - Murdoch

Young Small Defender - T Hunt

Young Defender - Guthrie

I think what Woodrow is saying is that yes you'll win enough games to make finals each year. but you won't be dominant like you have been in previous years. I agree. Your next GF appearance will be a while away.

Please feel free to correct me tho Woody.

I think what Woodrow is saying is that yes you'll win enough games to make finals each year. but you won't be dominant like you have been in previous years. I agree. Your next GF appearance will be a while away.

Please feel free to correct me tho Woody.

2015 or 2016 is not that long a wait which IMO is when it will be...

Of course that is a few years away and with their extra half of a Salary Cap from the AFL your beloved Swans Bloods will prob again attempt to steal some of these young stars that we have developed.

My mum knitted my first Hoops b4 I was born, and I started attending Cats games regularly in 1988...

I saw us lose 4 Grand Finals years before we ever won one in 2007...

Bandwagon?

What were u doing in 1988 ya flog?

haha nah mate not having a go at you, just seems to be a lot more geelong supporters now

than what there was back in the day. Now that the team looks like its going down it'll be good

to see true supporters like yourself stay with the club whilst all those bandwagoners who

were pumping the team up can now FOAD.

i actually like geelong but in a way i am glad their era

of dominance is coming to an end, just hope it doesn't turn into an era of hawthorn preimierships

or i'm jumping off the westgate

no idea what your on about. don't really see any bandwagoners in AFL tbh. european football no doubt, but never met anyone who changed clubs/wasnt supporting what ever club from a very young age.

Exactly.

It’s almost exactly the same group blokes stand around me now as to watch Selwood and Bartel that also stood there to watch bloody Kent Kingsley and David Haynes.

Edited by cadete

I must admit I've only started going to games again recently after a ~10 year break, but its more the convenience and the fact I was invited to go with other Cats fans. I pretty much missed Abblett Jnr's journey at the club and dont recall even watching the 2007 GF.

But as Salzy said u chose thE Cats as a kid and never jumped of them despite all the pain we went through in those days.

Blokes rarely jump on and off bandwagons as far as AFL teams are concerned and if they do its only as little kids.

And TBH anyone who supported Geelong prior to 2007 chose to support (Clearly not the hardest team to support) but def a club up there as one of the most frustrating in the league to support.

Edited by cadete

But as Salzy said u chose thE Cats as a kid and never jumped of them despite all the pain we went through in those days.

Blokes rarely jump on and off bandwagons as far as AFL teams are concerned and if they do its only as little kids.

And TBH anyone who supported Geelong prior to 2007 chose to support (Clearly not the hardest team to support) but def a club up there as one of the most frustrating in the league to support.

Can support this entirely, have supported GFC all my life just like my dad and his dad and so on, but recently lost my 8 year old brother to Essendon. Sad times

Can support this entirely, have supported GFC all my life just like my dad and his dad and so on, but recently lost my 8 year old brother to Essendon. Sad times

Essendon: Was always the team kids jumped on board if u wanted to feel apart of the pack when I was @ school.

If kids abandoned their family side it was almost always for Essendon as they had the numbers supporter wise to back them up in the school yard and the side was probably the most consitent Victorian side from from basicly 1984 to 2004.

In Perth obviously the WCE were the easy choice.

Edited by cadete