Melbourne Football

2016 FFA Cup including prelim rounds

Shahanga

So the draw for the preliminary rounds of the FFA Cup is out and games start in a couple of weeks. (this year they are calling it the FFA and saying it doubles as qualifiers for the Dockerty Cup, which is the opposite of last year and I think, better)

If you are playing please tell us about it and how it goes.  If your local club is playing post that too.  Hopefully we get a few Cinderella stories.

Round 1 Draw:

http://footballchaos.com/index.php/news-blogs/news-archives/1369-ffa-cup-preliminary-rounds-fixtures

Edited by Shahanga
new year
  • Like 2

Probably not quite the thread for this, but nowhere quite fits.

My love for cup football is driven by own personal experience.  To cut a long story short, the only ever cup I played in (at U17 level) had a whole 4 rounds.  We weren't that great a team, but got a favourable draw and found ourselves in the final, albeit as massive underdogs against a team we hadn't beaten in years.  As luck would have it, wet weather made the conditions tough and we shocked the league by producing a massive upset to win 3-0.  I won 3 other titles as a footballer (2 leagues, 1 GF) but nothing beats that cup win.  Even today, (31 years later) my ex-team mates and I still reminisce when we get together about that miracle mud lark win!

So lets hope we see some of that and strong lower league teams like Keilor and Eltham surprise or embarrass their more fancied rivals. 

• Like 1

Fairly certain 8-0 was the final score line. Not really a surprise though, Eltham are a very good side.

Lost 3-1 today. Reckon we had about 10% possession but were 1-0 up for a while. Far too fucking hot and we had to play on synthetic too  :facepalm:  Reckon I had blisters within 2 minutes of the game starting.

EDIT: Mazenod won 6-5 on pens. 2-2 was the FT score.

Edited by Footballism

Ringwood lost 1-2 versus Northern Falcons.

Both teams evenly matched, Ringwood suffered 2 lapses in concentration and copped 2 goals.

Ringwood at about half strength with Senior players out injured and overseas on holiday. But well done NF.

Anybody watched Eltham?They are now in our league and they want to go un defeated again this season. Just have to keep paying the players lots of money then as when it dries up………………………… it will end in tears.

Edited by The Cheshire Cat

I'm not on the committee, but I'd be surprised if we were paying anyone other than the coach.

The juniors at eltham has been completely turned around and now we have a conveyor belt of good players starting to come through. In previous time any decent kids we did produce had to leave to play decent football.

As to going through undefeated , I don't think a team in the league plans to lose games. Been a long time since we drew or lost, but every game starts 0-0 so I hope the boys don't start the season cocky.

Ps 0-8 confirmed.

Edited by Shahanga

My mate who plays as CB for RMIT will be playing on Danny Allsopp next week. Too bad its on a weeknight and in Croydon.

Will end in tears for your mate probably. DA still a very good player based on what I saw last season. Has all the tricks in the book.

Heard that he wasn't playing for them this season.

My mate who plays as CB for RMIT will be playing on Danny Allsopp next week. Too bad its on a weeknight and in Croydon.

Will end in tears for your mate probably. DA still a very good player based on what I saw last season. Has all the tricks in the book.

Heard that he wasn't playing for them this season.

That's what I heard however apparently 6 senior players left las week to go and play NPL so maybe he is pulling the boots on as desperate times call for desperate measures. I believe they lost recently to Eltham??

Who's your mate? I play for RMIT as well though I'm injured this week. (Especially disappointed cause i wanted to break Allsopp's legs)

Edited by Tbitm

Who's your mate? I play for RMIT as well though I'm injured this week. (Especially disappointed cause i wanted to break Allsopp's legs)

Your captain Adam

Love Adzo, great bloke. Him and DA is a bit of a height mismatch though

• Like 1

Ringwood lost 1-2 versus Northern Falcons.

Both teams evenly matched, Ringwood suffered 2 lapses in concentration and copped 2 goals.

Ringwood at about half strength with Senior players out injured and overseas on holiday. But well done NF.

Anybody watched Eltham?They are now in our league and they want to go un defeated again this season. Just have to keep paying the players lots of money then as when it dries up………………………… it will end in tears.

it won't dry. they have like 700 junior players! and yeah, we were in the same state 5 comp, and I went on the FFV website (as you can look at a players club history), at least 3 boys on a VPL list or State 1 the year before.... definately getting $$!!!

Edited by pattyd89

crazy night at darebin. Storms and lightning with immense rain and wind. All games halted within the first half for 15 minutes due to the weather. Old trinity were beaten (not sure who they were beaten by though) and the game I was involved with was Middle park vs western eagles. Western eagles got the lone goal of the match in the first half and did little afterwoods just defending off attacks from middle park. Difficult conditions so really a 50-50 result

Tough week for those who had to go through the qualifying round.

Now only 2 left after round 2:

• Kings Domain
  • Cobram Roar

Both have won 3 in a row to make it this far.  Ain't going to get easier though.

Round 3: Kings Domain at home to Cairnlea and Cobram at home to Warragul.

In other news Eltham away (again!  we ever going to get a home game?) to Brighton, who I suspect are SL4.

• Like 1

Shangaga- brighton are my team. State 4 south. a great club, though I believe Elthan are the favorites. probably will be played at knox or otherwise state football centre

yes, you are right, not at Brighton.  Why is that?

Anyway its at whatever they call it now (used to be DISC) at Darebin/Thornbury with an 8pm kick off.  Can't really see me ditching my family and going but we'll see (no way they'd be interested).

Yeah, we would be backing ourselves to win this one (we've got a classy side for SL level and play a nice brand of football) , but they all start at 0-0, so no guarantees.

we don't get access to dendy park until april. Right now its all cricket pitches.

would have been hoping for another week out at darebin for the cub (am involved as an official) but I have been put out at club italia sporting club in sunchine. match is between brimbank and caulfiield cobras, do you know much about either team or the venue, anyone?

Kings Domain, the last of the qualifiers, have made it through to the 4th round after a 1-0 win over Cairnlea.

They are playing the winner out of Moreland United and Frankston Pines next week.

Update:

Story about the round here:

http://www.theffacup.com.au/article/cup-wrap-south-springvale-are-back-kings-win-again/1632t8vcc4ec910cprho5lhwpy

They report that Cairnlea were 4 divisions higher!  That's giant killing stuff alright.  Cup football at its best.

Edited by Shahanga