Melbourne Football

Taking a while...

Sydneyheart

Just read this thread  and What a pack of whingers. Just be thankful we have a good team and a great stadium,who cares what colours are on the strip i certainly don't i just want to watch my team going all out to win, for gods sake grow up and get behind the club. Sick of all the nay sayers on this forum.

Johnno, I don't see the original post or the subsequent comment and discussion as whinging at all, not do I see it, as some others do, as re-opening the discussions on badge, name, colours etc. If you're on the forum every day you follow the various minutiae of the club's activities - "Have we signed Archibald?", "When's the next pre-season match?", "WTF is wrong with Germano this time?" and so on and so forth. When you're not reading the forum every day, and come back after an absence, it's rather different and IMO you tend to look at the bigger picture.

I interpreted Sydneyheart's OP as an introspective question along the lines of "Now that the various changes have taken place, how do I feel emotionally about Melbourne City and are my feelings the same as they were for Melbourne Heart?"

The question resonated with me, because when I went overseas in August I had limited access to the internet and therefore did not follow the forum for three weeks. When I returned I found myself asking the same questions about my attachment to Melbourne City.

Attachment to a football club for most people is not determined by the stadium the club plays in, the training facilities, success or otherwise on the field, or by anything that is logical or rational. It is determined by an unexplainable connection in the brain. People all around the world continue to support small clubs that exist in the very shadow of the big glossy stadiums of the premier clubs.

As has been suggested, the proof of the Melbourne City pudding will be in the eating. The next couple of seasons will determine whether City can incorporate and build on what was Melbourne Heart or have changed just a little too much too soon.

Lets face it, it's been a hard sell when you are told one thing but things are starting to shift back to the mini man city idea that they said would never happen.

I'm still in two minds about renewing my and my daughters membership due to the fact that the team I fell in love with is not really there as I know it. I pose a question, if heart won the title last season would man city have changed the clubs identity as much as it has already?

Just read this thread and What a pack of whingers. Just be thankful we have a good team and a great stadium,who cares what colours are on the strip i certainly don't i just want to watch my team going all out to win, for gods sake grow up and get behind the club. Sick of all the nay sayers on this forum.

Johnno, I don't see the original post or the subsequent comment and discussion as whinging at all, not do I see it, as some others do, as re-opening the discussions on badge, name, colours etc. If you're on the forum every day you follow the various minutiae of the club's activities - "Have we signed Archibald?", "When's the next pre-season match?", "WTF is wrong with Germano this time?" and so on and so forth. When you're not reading the forum every day, and come back after an absence, it's rather different and IMO you tend to look at the bigger picture.

I interpreted Sydneyheart's OP as an introspective question along the lines of "Now that the various changes have taken place, how do I feel emotionally about Melbourne City and are my feelings the same as they were for Melbourne Heart?"

The question resonated with me, because when I went overseas in August I had limited access to the internet and therefore did not follow the forum for three weeks. When I returned I found myself asking the same questions about my attachment to Melbourne City.

Attachment to a football club for most people is not determined by the stadium the club plays in, the training facilities, success or otherwise on the field, or by anything that is logical or rational. It is determined by an unexplainable connection in the brain. People all around the world continue to support small clubs that exist in the very shadow of the big glossy stadiums of the premier clubs.

As has been suggested, the proof of the Melbourne City pudding will be in the eating. The next couple of seasons will determine whether City can incorporate and build on what was Melbourne Heart or have changed just a little too much too soon.

Lets face it, it's been a hard sell when you are told one thing but things are starting to shift back to the mini man city idea that they said would never happen.

I'm still in two minds about renewing my and my daughters membership due to the fact that the team I fell in love with is not really there as I know it. I pose a question, if heart won the title last season would man city have changed the clubs identity as much as it has already?

Probably wouldn't have been sold if we won the title the issue was croweds were getting smaller and last two seasons placing were dismal. The fact is now Manchester city have brought our club and as I have said before the colours may have changed but our goals have not win the league beat the tards that is why I support

• Like 2

Well I can see why some people just see it as whinging, but to me, acquiescing to the colour change is just "tugging the forelock".  I don't think I was EVER any good at tugging the forelock and I certainly haven't "improved" with age.  

To be honest, I was shocked how easily most rolled over and went for the forelock.  Am still waiting for the Cardiff style campaign to start (but whilst passionate about it, am not passionate enough to start and drive that campaign).

• Like 1

Well I can see why some people just see it as whinging, but to me, acquiescing to the colour change is just "tugging the forelock".  I don't think I was EVER any good at tugging the forelock and I certainly haven't "improved" with age.  

To be honest, I was shocked how easily most rolled over and went for the forelock.  Am still waiting for the Cardiff style campaign to start (but whilst passionate about it, am not passionate enough to start and drive that campaign).

Whether you feel it is tugging the forelock or not, we cannot change what has happened so-- Build a bridge and get over it. Sure it will seem a little strange for a while but providing we do better than the last 2 seasons 

I cant see that what has changed can be so bad.

• Like 1

I bought the "Supporters polo" at Family Day and I think I mostly did it because I waited in line for so fkn long that I wanted to buy something, but as I wore it afterwards, I felt like I was cheating on Heart. I love the red & white stripes, it's that emotional connection that's hard to shake off. I suppose I'll have to get used to the sky blue and saying Melbourne City instead of Melbourne Heart, but to me City will always be "The Heart"...similar to how the Sydney Swans will always be "The Bloods" I guess...
I hope the monikor, "The Heart" does stick and remain as part of our club and in the stands and in the chants of the active supporters.

• Like 5

I bought the "Supporters polo" at Family Day and I think I mostly did it because I waited in line for so fkn long that I wanted to buy something, but as I wore it afterwards, I felt like I was cheating on Heart. I love the red & white stripes, it's that emotional connection that's hard to shake off. I suppose I'll have to get used to the sky blue and saying Melbourne City instead of Melbourne Heart, but to me City will always be "The Heart"...similar to how the Sydney Swans will always be "The Bloods" I guess...

I hope the monikor, "The Heart" does stick and remain as part of our club and in the stands and in the chants of the active supporters.

It will mate, I will still be wearing my red and white on top of my new home top and I think a lot will 

• Like 1

Hopefully one day they might even put "MHFC" somewhere on the jersey like how Sydney Swans has "SMFC" at the back of their jumper. A bit of history for our beloved club!

• Like 1

Red or Dead wearing sky blue. Guess he's dead.

• Like 4

We were a franchise before and we are a franchise now. We had no real control before we have no real control now. For me I enjoy going to games and going wild when we score and win etc. But the club isn't my whole existence at the end of the the day it's some blokes kicking a ball around. I am more worried about my family and work etc than the colours or a name. Maybe the reason most people have moved on with the colours and name is that it's not a big deal for them than still have a club to support and cheer and get excited for so not much has changed they just retro tops now. They want the club to be successful. In a perfect world we would all get what we want. At the end of the day that's why we support sporting teams to hopefully watch them win games and the hope they will be successful and share that success with our fellow supporters. If not go and join a book club or something.   Most people will find that going to a game hasn't changed they will still go wild when we score and will still be down when we lose. Chanting is still the same just that now we have two nicknames City and Heart. People weren't happy with the old board and people aren't happy now just because some people don't like something doesn't mean we all have to not like it. That goes both ways. People who are saying the the club is now plastic and that people have no pride and that they rolled over etc like was said in the past is not helpful and is unjust to other people. As I said this works both ways. Buy a membership or don't it's not really that hard. Do what you think is best for you. If you have doubts don't buy a membership or go to games the club will still be here if you change your mind later on. Take care.

• Like 6

We were a franchise before and we are a franchise now. We had no real control before we have no real control now. For me I enjoy going to games and going wild when we score and win etc. But the club isn't my whole existence at the end of the the day it's some blokes kicking a ball around. I am more worried about my family and work etc than the colours or a name. Maybe the reason most people have moved on with the colours and name is that it's not a big deal for them than still have a club to support and cheer and get excited for so not much has changed they just retro tops now. They want the club to be successful. In a perfect world we would all get what we want. At the end of the day that's why we support sporting teams to hopefully watch them win games and the hope they will be successful and share that success with our fellow supporters. If not go and join a book club or something.   Most people will find that going to a game hasn't changed they will still go wild when we score and will still be down when we lose. Chanting is still the same just that now we have two nicknames City and Heart. People weren't happy with the old board and people aren't happy now just because some people don't like something doesn't mean we all have to not like it. That goes both ways. People who are saying the the club is now plastic and that people have no pride and that they rolled over etc like was said in the past is not helpful and is unjust to other people. As I said this works both ways. Buy a membership or don't it's not really that hard. Do what you think is best for you. If you have doubts don't buy a membership or go to games the club will still be here if you change your mind later on. Take care.

9007_d049.jpeg

• Like 4

Honestly I'm more disappointed in the yarraside disbanding... The whole short history of our club could have been kept with the yarraside but instead they disband? I understand where you all are coming from I'm in the same boat but I said from day 1 this happen I said I would support this club... I will show up in red and white and support the red and white team from melbourne! As far as I'm concerned yarraside disbanding is worst for our club then having sky blue on our home kit.

Honestly I'm more disappointed in the yarraside disbanding... The whole short history of our club could have been kept with the yarraside but instead they disband? I understand where you all are coming from I'm in the same boat but I said from day 1 this happen I said I would support this club... I will show up in red and white and support the red and white team from melbourne! As far as I'm concerned yarraside disbanding is worst for our club then having sky blue on our home kit.

There is a big difference between the decisions made by a "Professional Football Club" with its millionaire owners and well paid full time employees and those made by a group of unpaid volunteers who simply help out with the running of a "Non for Profit Supporters Group" due to the love of their football club.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Mate, it doesn't have to be one way or the other, I don't think it's that black and white...I'm not happy about the sky blue, but I still bought a membership because like you, I love football and going to games and celebrating goals and wins...up until now I enjoyed doing it wearing red & white - albeit not as often as we'd like - and so my emotional attachment is to The Heart and the Red & White...because of that, all I'm saying is that it will take time to adjust seeing my club wearing the white/sky blue...scoring many goals and winning many games will obviously help quicken the transition (/betrayal? Lol)  ;)

I have already seen that for some it will be a big adjustment. At the FFA Cup game I saw a guy absolutely ripping into the team in white warming up before the match calling them 'Sydney wankers', 'go back to oxford street and take it up the arse' and so on. He obviously wasn't quite with it and not too observant and as soon as I said that team in white is Melbourne he quickly shut up and shuffled off. It was funny to see someone make an idiot of themself and any close follower of the club wouldn't do such a thing but it did speak to me...on the surface to passers by my club can't be seen. But more imporantly still I saw the team in white as Melbourne, I found myself cheering them on just as normal...even if the best part of that freezing night was seeing the Sydney GK's towel get stomped on in the mud. I'll still wear my red and white...I've got enough of it to last me a few decades, but the team in white is still the club that belted Victory 4-0 earlier this year.

• Like 2

lol 5 posts in :droy: