Melbourne Football

EURO 2012

MC7ULTRA

Sure, they qualified fair & square, but I think Russia would put up a better fight in the 1/4's.

They would put up a better fight in the 1/4s, but they couldnt even qualify from the easiest group in the tournament?

it's a fucking joke, we could get to watch the likes of lewandowski, kuba, pizcesk & dzagoev and instead we have to watch shit cunts like Samaras who are going to be destroyed in the quarter finals.

thats footballl for ya! thats why we love it!

Easiest group? That's honestly a stupid thing to say, no one could predict who would go through at the start so I have no idea how you can classify an even, unpredictable group easy.

I don't understand why you have to be so narrow? Russia were classified a darkhorse for the tournament, they play a better brand of football than Greece do and quite frankly can at least try to compete with attacking minded sides like Germany, Holland & France. I still give us quite a good chance to get out of the group, we have created a lot of chances, all we have to do tonight is get into good areas and the goals will come if we are well organized at the back & De Jong, Van Bommel's midfield link to the more attacking midfielders is more efficient.

Easiest group? That's honestly a stupid thing to say, no one could predict who would go through at the start so I have no idea how you can classify an even, unpredictable group easy.

I don't understand why you have to be so narrow? Russia were classified a darkhorse for the tournament, they play a better brand of football than Greece do and quite frankly can at least try to compete with attacking minded sides like Germany, Holland & France.

LOL. What are you even arguing?

"A better brand of football", the only better there is in football is scoring more goals than the opposition and getting the results you need. Russia didnt. Thats it.

LOL. What are you even arguing?

"A better brand of football", the only better there is in football is scoring more goals than the opposition and getting the results you need. Russia didnt. Thats it.

the amusing part of this is that DP is a fellow chelsea fan. with many people say the same things about Bayern Munich and Barcelona at the end of the day Russia, like chelsea's opponents, weren't able to put the ball in the back of the net. Greece won, they deserve to go through... end of

• Like 1

1. You cannot involve Chelsea.

2. Russia did put the ball in the back of the net, more than the other 3 nations.

3. The Head to Head system is good to an extent (prevents teams already out rolling over) but Euro group stage is way too short for it to be used.

If people can't see where I'm coming from then you need to stop being so narrow.

This is why EURO is the best competition in the world. By best I dont mean highest quality, but it is a very high quality, almost best, while also being the most competitive competition you will find. There really aren't any teams that are just making up the numbers, even if on paper a team is weak, such is the difficulty in qualifying that they must be a very good team if they qualified. Even the hosts, who probably wouldnt have qualified if they had too, have been competitive.

Poland wouldn't have qualified? Definitely one of the teams in Group A who would have been picked more than not to go through pre-tournament, with Lewandowski one of the form strikers going in, I also find it hard to grasp how they are a team that "probably" wouldn't have qualified pre-tournament.

• Like 1

Poland wouldn't have qualified? Definitely one of the teams in Group A who would have been picked more than not to go through pre-tournament, with Lewandowski one of the form strikers going in, I also find it hard to grasp how they are a team that "probably" wouldn't have qualified pre-tournament.

Poland FIFA Ranking: 62

Scotland FIFA Ranking: 41

Turkey FIFA Ranking: 33

Belgium FIFA Ranking: 54

Serbia FIFA Ranking: 34

Slovenia FIFA Ranking: 30

Bosnia FIFA Ranking: 29

Romania FIFA Ranking: 52

Montenegro FIFA Ranking: 50

Switzerland FIFA Ranking: 21

Norway FIFA Ranking: 26

Estonia FIFA Ranking: 57

etc.

In b4 FIFA rankings are inaccurate. I agree, but when it comes to comparing teams in the same continent, they are not too bad, and its an objective measure rather than me saying Switzerland, Bosnia, Turkey, Serbia, etc. are better which is subjective.

• Like 1

This is why EURO is the best competition in the world. By best I dont mean highest quality, but it is a very high quality, almost best, while also being the most competitive competition you will find. There really aren't any teams that are just making up the numbers, even if on paper a team is weak, such is the difficulty in qualifying that they must be a very good team if they qualified. Even the hosts, who probably wouldnt have qualified if they had too, have been competitive.

agree euros > world cup

no togos etc.

Great result.

Very sloppy occasionally in the match, though.

Don't understand why Di Natale started - we can't hold shape when he plays...

Also, Balzaretti > Giaccherini, and Maggio > Abate.

Sad to see Chiellini go off.

Hopefully it's not serious, so we'll have him for the next match...

Germany for me, they aren't the same Germany of the 2010 World Cup YET, or maybe they have matured into something else, but at the moment they're getting things done efficiently, they haven't shown the zippy, vibrant, one touch, attractive football of 2010 and the lead up, but if they do, I don't see anyone beating them, the middle 3 is the hub of that team, Ozil. Schweinsteiger & Khedira are brilliant, their source of attack is amazing, they aren't just singled minded, they play wide, they play around, they play narrow, their back 4 is the most solid out of the remaining teams left, we haven't even seen Lahm in top gear, playing the ball out brilliantly or even running it out.

For me Klose is still the man to play, his linkup with Muller & Podolski is a lot better than Gomez', sure Gomez scored twice but other than that he is to narrow and is only really a threat in the box and around it, Klose comes deep, wide, and is just as dangerous in the box. So if Germany hit that top gear, they might not even show that 2010 style, they may have matured, but regardless if they hit that top gear I think they have improved significantly enough in 2 years to beat Spain, simply because they can beat Spain in the midfield and can play any style they want.

Spain will make the final, simply because they have to much source to score and they're always going to dominate possession, I see the only way them getting beaten is by Italy or Germany, only because they're the only 2 sides that won't sit back and will try to rattle Spain, for me if Spain played with a striker against Italy and not a false #9, they would have won, when Torres came on against Italy, Spain looked a lot more dangerous going forward as Italy had to deal with a true #9 making runs in behind, and losing his man, with Fabregas as the false #9, sure you had the creativity and danger but from a CB's point of view it is easier to play against a false #9 regardless from Spain simply because they don't need to worry as much of the dangerous runs and a true #9 losing a CB, in saying that Torres was highly ineffective against Croatia, but for me Croatia a tremendous job against Spain in general, Torres was fully isolated, but when Spain come against an Italy or a Germany that won't be case because they won't be sitting back like Croatia did.

• Like 3

Portugal or England.

LOL. Portugal cant defend, their star player is heavily overrated and cant perform on the international stage, and they haven't impressed at all IMO.

England is England. Dont see it happening, if it does its all because of my boy Roy Hodgson. They should build statues of him and what not if it does happens.

LOL. Portugal cant defend, their star player is heavily overrated and cant perform on the international stage, and they haven't impressed at all IMO.

England is England. Dont see it happening, if it does its all because of my boy Roy Hodgson. They should build statues of him and what not if it does happens.

LOL. If Greece can win the Euro's there's no reason why these two couldn't.

Portugal's defence not the best but still decent. Don't think Ronaldo is overrated tbh. Clearly second best player in the world. Scored in a Euro Semi when he was 19. Has scored a goal at all 5 international tournaments he has played in, unlike Messi, Robben & Rooney to name a few. Complete myth that he "Cant perform on the international stage".

What? If anything Portugal have been better than what everyone expected, Portugal are always solid, every competition they are there come the end. CAN'T defend? I'm talking about PEPE, a player who is so inconsistent it's unbelievable, you honestly don't know what you're gonna get from him, has been brilliant, the whole back four has been pretty good, so saying they can't defend is silly, yes they have hiccups there but they have been fine.

Portugal are a very similar side to Holland, they're defence has hiccups and they rely on players in midfield to help out, which was shown in the Holland game they can do very well, Portugal's three midfield players have been brilliant, have done their job every match, and have put defending before attacking, I see Portugal going through the Semi's comfortably over the Czech Republic.

Now starting on Ronaldo, he can't play at international level? Honestly the most retarded thing you have said, so what he didn't score in the first two games? He was efficient on the ball, and quite often kick-started every Portugal attack, now moving to the Holland game, he wasn't as efficient with the ball, but he scored two goals? He was man of the match and sent Portugal through to the 1/4's, what has he done this tournament for you to say that he can't perform on international level?

For me Portugal have impressed, going into the tournament, Holland & Germany were the two sides picked more than not to go through, yes Holland were terrible, but Portugal impressed in the group stage, especially the defence, Pepe in particular, and the three midfield players have been brilliant, Meireles, Moutinho & Veloso have done their jobs to perfection so far, three typical box-to-box players who do the team job every match.

What? If anything Portugal have been better than what everyone expected, Portugal are always solid, every competition they are there come the end. CAN'T defend? I'm talking about PEPE, a player who is so inconsistent it's unbelievable, you honestly don't know what you're gonna get from him, has been brilliant, the whole back four has been pretty good, so saying they can't defend is silly, yes they have hiccups there but they have been fine.

Portugal are a very similar side to Holland, they're defence has hiccups and they rely on players in midfield to help out, which was shown in the Holland game they can do very well, Portugal's three midfield players have been brilliant, have done their job every match, and have put defending before attacking, I see Portugal going through the Semi's comfortably over the Czech Republic.

Now starting on Ronaldo, he can't play at international level? Honestly the most retarded thing you have said, so what he didn't score in the first two games? He was efficient on the ball, and quite often kick-started every Portugal attack, now moving to the Holland game, he wasn't as efficient with the ball, but he scored two goals? He was man of the match and sent Portugal through to the 1/4's, what has he done this tournament for you to say that he can't perform on international level?

For me Portugal have impressed, going into the tournament, Holland & Germany were the two sides picked more than not to go through, yes Holland were terrible, but Portugal impressed in the group stage, especially the defence, Pepe in particular, and the three midfield players have been brilliant, Meireles, Moutinho & Veloso have done their jobs to perfection so far, three typical box-to-box players who do the team job every match.

Talking up Portugal to justify the failure of the Dutch. Interesting strategy.

Edited by Tesla