Melbourne Football

Your Favourite Match

Shahanga

Get a feeling tonight has just rocketed up the charts. Just home and still pumped. All went our way - ref, loved Mate thanking The Boss for his goal, and the way we swarmed all over them for the last 30 minutes it should have been 6 or 7 - nil but for more class up front.

A night that will sit in the memory for a very very long time.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Thought I should bump this.

That Derby win was pretty damn good and I have to say being in the home end at the 90th minute was probably the finest place on earth at that moment, but I would still place it behind the season 2 Christmas derby (sitting in the "enemy base", was pretty sweet) and the sensational gutsy win over Sydney with "that" Williams goal at the death (caught in an insane traffic jam near the G, arrived so late i was finding my seat when Engelaar got marched).

The 4-0 win against the Tards was pretty damn special. Especially considering the shit season we were having and the fact that it was sweet revenge for the Christmas Derby earlier in the year. Although Season 2's Christmas Derby will always be my absolute favourite. Everything fell into place that game and I still think that it was some of the best football this club has ever played.

With that being said, last Saturday was pretty great. The sheer joy in the home end when Paartalu scored that goal was magnificent, and hearing everybody, even GA belting out chants was fantastic.

There's been three great derbies in my time as a member: my first game (had been to the odd one previously) with Aloisi debuting in charge at Etihad and Macallister got the winner, which was pretty much the last meaningful contribution he had in his career. 4-0 was great last year, as was the derby on Saturday. That win against Sydney last year when we were down to 10 men was unbelievable: we never used to get a point after conceding the first goal, let alone win from that position with a man down. And Engelaar's debut and the breakthrough win against the Jets in January damn near made me cry.

For me it has to be Adelaide away last season.

Something like 50 - 80 of us heart supporters then sang for 90 minutes straight.

When Kisnorbo's scalp connected with the ball and landed in the net, the scenes were wild. Shoes off for the Heart!

That's the most passionate I've seen Heart/ City supporters ever be. 

We ended up drawing thanks to a last min equaliser by Adelaide - but fuck me it was a great game.

Something about away days that's just so beautiful.

Significance of Saturday will depend on the rest of the season. If the tards go all the way then it will hold greater weight. Also if its the start of our run could be also special.

To me the significance is what happens with us from here. If/when the tards tank this will be seen as one of the nails in their coffin, so that's important, but more important is carrying our form forward.

Take away the Derbies, the best game for me was between the last season 2-1 win against Sydney with the late Willo goal and the 2-1 away win the Adeliade in season 1 with Colosimo and Aloisi scoring in the last 5 minutes. My god i  got shit faced during that game. The best away trip game wise ive been to.

Has to be the first derby for me, went with a couple of mates and the abuse we copped on the way in cemented everything I hated about their fully sik try-hard ultra hit da clubz supporter base. Aloisi celebrated his goal right in front of us, you could see how much it meant to him.

Went to the yarra end 2nd half and the elation when Terra scored followed by unbearable tension as we hung on with 10 men was something else.

Honorable mentions go to the 2011 Christmas Derby and the 4-0 rout of Sydney, was at the imp for that one.

Almost impossible to separate them out. The first and last Derbies as Melbourne Heart (2-1 and 4-0) right up there, but I'll take last Saturday's Derby win as the best match of all. Lots of reasons. I doubt too many people inside or outside the stadium thought we could win, and to do it with a killer goal that Victory could not pull back was magnificent. It took me at least 48 hours to come down from the emotional high of those last couple of minutes. Also very significant for us with new owners and as Melbourne City, because I feel we've lost a lot of the goodwill (certainly in the media) we had when we just little old Heart up against the mighty MV.

2-2 draw v victory when we came from 2 goals down. The two times I've seen us win out of 30 games were probably two of the most boring games of football I've ever watched in my life. 1-0 v Brisbane two rounds ago and a 2-1 v Perth in Perth. Second favourite was the 3-3 v Adelaide last year for sheer comedy value at the end with aloisi trying to rev the crowd up and Migliorinis ridiculous goal after id spent the whole game telling him to fuck off.

That Win in perth was in the best period of our clubs history- 7 wins in 8 games including 6 away games.

Was fortunate enough to be at the Gold Coast game (2-1 to us) a real highlight of my time with the heart.

That streak culminated with a 4-0 thumping of sydney fc.

That was one point where we really were looking the goods- 3rd on the a-league table- shaping up for a home final, capped socceroos.

I dream of us reaching those 'highs' again.