Melbourne Football

Pre-Season Friendlies

hakz7

We lost 1-0.

But from the team sheets doesn't look that important to me. Pretty much a nothing game with a whole lot of second-string players on the field for both sides..

Nevertheless, disappointing that we lost again on the road, couldn't score, and from the reports of an early goal, seemingly weren't mentally prepared again.

Edited by jw1739

As someone else stated I wouldn't be overly worried by this result. Glory did dominate us but was really only Murdocca, Gerhardt, Walker, Williams and Ramsay that are first team players. 

Main points I took away from the game.

• Gerhardt looks good as a midfield destroyer but his passing is fucking abysmal.
  • When Murdocca came on we played out from the back 1000x better. His first touch, positioning and passing will be a major asset in helping us transistion from defence to attack. i could see Murdocca and Gerhardt being a decent DM pairing as they seem to have differing skill sets.
  • Garruccio when he got on the ball was pretty impressive always knew where to turn into space. It was just more that he couldn't get on the ball enough that was an issue.
  • Mauk is good when he gets into the advanced positions on the ball but was by passed almost completely until the last 15 minutes.
  • Archibald had an absolute shocker in the first half but held his own in the second. The penalty was completely pointless as the glory player was running away from goal at the time. Vrankovic was fairly composed though most of their joy came through going past archibald.
  • Velaphi was the only reason we didn't lose by more. A fantastic penalty save and 4 or 5 other top class efforts. Only had one brain fade, he does look susceptible to high balls in the box though.
  • I don't rate Mitchinson that highly he got skinned by there brazillian regularly and was at fault in combination with Archibald for their goal.
  • Schroen (i think it was at least in CM) looks to be a decent player when he came on. Got stuck in, won a fair share of ball and did the simple things well without over elaborating.
  • Ramsay looks to be an exciting signing got a bit of mongrel about him as well which I like.
  • Germano looks unfit and was generally pretty slow and shit.
  • Williams did ok up front and threw himself around a bit and held onto the well. Once we subbed on Petreski (i think) up front we couldn't really keep the ball in forward areas.
  • Also believe the hype around da silva. The kid is next level.
  • Like 6

As someone else stated I wouldn't be overly worried by this result. Glory did dominate us but was really only Murdocca, Gerhardt, Walker, Williams and Ramsay that are first team players. 

• Gerhardt looks good as a midfield destroyer but his passing is fucking abysmal.
  • When Murdocca came on we played out from the back 1000x better. His first touch, positioning and passing will be a major asset in helping us transistion from defence to attack. i could see Murdocca and Gerhardt being a decent DM pairing as they seem to have differing skill sets.
  • Garruccio when he got on the ball was pretty impressive always knew where to turn into space. It was just more that he couldn't get on the ball enough that was an issue.
  • Mauk is good when he gets into the advanced positions on the ball but was by passed almost completely until the last 15 minutes.
  • Archibald had an absolute shocker in the first half but held his own in the second. The penalty was completely pointless as the glory player was running away from goal at the time. Vrankovic was fairly composed though most of their joy came through going past archibald.
  • Velaphi was the only reason we didn't lose by more. A fantastic penalty save and 4 or 5 other top class efforts. Only had one brain fade, he does look susceptible to high balls in the box though.
  • I don't rate Mitchinson that highly he got skinned by there brazillian regularly and was at fault in combination with Archibald for their goal.
  • Schroen (i think it was at least in CM) looks to be a decent player when he came on. Got stuck in, won a fair share of ball and did the simple things well without over elaborating.
  • Ramsay looks to be an exciting signing got a bit of mongrel about him as well which I like.
  • Williams did ok up front and threw himself around a bit and held onto the well. Once we subbed on Petreski (i think) up front we couldn't really keep the ball in forward areas.

Said no one ever.

Yeah they both came on at the same time. One went into cm and other up front. Whoever went to cm looked tidy.

I've never seen Petreski played up front and Schroen is a striker in the VPL afaik.

Have always rated Phil as have many on this forum. Better than at least four players on our list.

Thanks for the write up of the match perthheart. Good to get some analysis on how Gerhardt and Murdocca are doing in midfield.

Velaphi got a number of good reviews after this game. He seems to be able to pull off some impressive reflex-saves, but I just don't think that he's a complete goalkeeper, and I'm glad that Redmayne is our no 1.

Hopefully Mauk and Garuccio get a good amount of game time this season. In particular I hope Garuccio plays a fair bit this season, but with the return of Behich he might have a tough time getting played over both Ramsay and Williams (maybe not so tough if Williams doesn't improve on the form he had last season, though).

Thanks for the write up of the match perthheart. Good to get some analysis on how Gerhardt and Murdocca are doing in midfield.

Velaphi got a number of good reviews after this game. He seems to be able to pull off some impressive reflex-saves, but I just don't think that he's a complete goalkeeper, and I'm glad that Redmayne is our no 1.

Hopefully Mauk and Garuccio get a good amount of game time this season. In particular I hope Garuccio plays a fair bit this season, but with the return of Behich he might have a tough time getting played over both Ramsay and Williams (maybe not so tough if Williams doesn't improve on the form he had last season, though).

I think Tando has a confidence problem when playing. I can relate, because I am the same. At training I can most times tear it up but once im in a compeditive setting, in a game under pressure, I'm shit haha. Unless I dont have time to think, like in tight situations with a few players in tight around me. I get the sense Tando is the same. All the mistakes ive seen him made were due to him having time to think where it seems this game he had a few good reflex saves which dont need thought but perhaps show what JA saw in him. Same with that youtube video posted earlier. He fucks up because he has time to think. However, this is no excuse and I agree that im glad Redmayne is out no 1

Edited by Dylan

this is why i rate Murdocca so bloody highly.  underrated soooooo much.

then again, it wouldnt surprise me to see the pairing work well; Gerhardt has always been brilliant in the tackle while Murdocca always fits in well as that midfielder to control with the transition side of things - Jack of all trades, Master of none.

Edited by mattyh001

this is why i rate Murdocca so bloody highly.  underrated soooooo much.

then again, it wouldnt surprise me to see the pairing work well; Gerhardt has always been brilliant in the tackle while Murdocca always fits in well as that midfielder to control with the transition side of things - Jack of all trades, Master of none.

Orlando who?

Thanks for the write up of the match perthheart. Good to get some analysis on how Gerhardt and Murdocca are doing in midfield. Velaphi got a number of good reviews after this game. He seems to be able to pull off some impressive reflex-saves, but I just don't think that he's a complete goalkeeper, and I'm glad that Redmayne is our no 1. Hopefully Mauk and Garuccio get a good amount of game time this season. In particular I hope Garuccio plays a fair bit this season, but with the return of Behich he might have a tough time getting played over both Ramsay and Williams (maybe not so tough if Williams doesn't improve on the form he had last season, though).

I think Tando has a confidence problem when playing. I can relate, because I am the same. At training I can most times tear it up but once im in a compeditive setting, in a game under pressure, I'm shit haha. Unless I dont have time to think, like in tight situations with a few players in tight around me. I get the sense Tando is the same. All the mistakes ive seen him made were due to him having time to think where it seems this game he had a few good reflex saves which dont need thought but perhaps show what JA saw in him. Same with that youtube video posted earlier. He fucks up because he has time to think. However, this is no excuse and I agree that im glad Redmayne is out no 1

Hahaha me too and refreshing honesty Dylan! Reminded me of seeing the Socceroos against a Brazil and especially some of the cheap turnovers. It's about having confidence in yourself to make the right decisions under pressure and not getting flustered.

Well there's nothing like having a pumped up Terrace to give you confidence  :lol:

This

I think Tando was inspired in Bentleigh when he recieved his new nicknames of "Nandos" and "Chicken".

Sharing a Nickname with man below in a massive honour in anyone's book...

116843-ricky-nixon-and-tegan-gould.jpg

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

Thoughts on last nights game.

Gerhardt can't play defensive midfield. He got caught in possession overran the ball and was 100 percent responsible for Glory's goal.

How people can try and blame young Archibald amazes me. Gerhardt lost the ball and McClaren had a free run on goal.

Germano was no better he twice conceded possession both leading to Perth chances one being the penalty well saved by Tando.

Enter Murdocca to demonstrate how to play as a defensive midfielder. Gone was the long high balls up to Williams because at last Heart had a player dropping back creating space. The young players responded to his talking and the second half was greatly improved performance.

Heart played the last 30 minutes with 8 under 21s (Perth probably similar) the ball was played on the deck more and went down both wings as Murdocca dedicated.

Shocking conditions Tando some outstanding saves some promising signs from the younger players in the second half.

WA press description of Perth goal;-

Maclaren pounced on an errant Heart back pass.

Sounds like the same old story. Fiddling about at the back, not getting the ball though the midfield quickly enough, leading to pressure on our goal instead of creating a chance for our forwards.

We're just not learning.

Another player who I identified as a potential list clogger at the end of last season.

The guy is too brittle for a professional brittle.

I think your being a bit harsh on Germano. His first season he was really good for us, last season was a different story obviously but that was more due to injury and being under-done rather than losing form.

Conpared to other people on our list who were signed because they were grossly overrated (Kalmar) or for no reason at all (Hoff) i still believe that germano, when healthy can really help the team. I agree though that if he doesn't play well this season, or gets injured again, it's time to move him on

To be honest I didn't see where the pass came from as I looked up to see Archibald fall flat on his arse allowing McClaren straight through. Apart from the goal Archibald was a liability most of the game. Everytime Glory got a shot off it was through working the ball through the space he should have been occupying.

I can see your point about Gerhardt on the ball as he is terrible once he gets his foot on the ball but he gets his tackles in and generally breaks up play. Similiar to how Shroj was. These kind of players always cop shit as it doesn't look pretty but still do a job required at this level. I can still see Murdocca and Gerhardt working well together as Murdocca is able to dictate play going forward but doesn't get as many tackles in. Perth got in behind the defense more readily second half as they got more time on the ball around the edge of our box. Need to give PG and Murdocca time on the pitch together in Mandurah. Hopefully the instructions are along the lines of PG get your tackles in then dish the ball off to Mass he'll take it from there.

The one example that stood out was when Da Silva danced around three of our players in mid eventually lost the ball but managed to take it straight back off Murdocca and start another attack. Gerhardt would have flattened him on the half way line and left it at that.

Agree that on the ball we were better second half (mostly due to mass) but still didn't look like scoring. Whenever Ramsay got it into the box we only ever had one guy up front to aim at. When we did get it forward with numbers centrally we seemed to find a dead end turn back around and play it all the way back to tando for some reason.

Not sure about the long ball call in the first didn't see many hoofs from the CB's, with only Gerhardt not being able to help himself occasionally, to me we just actually moved the ball through the CF first half, second half we sent the ball through Ramsay mostly out wide as the kid up front wasn't presenting for the ball as much were as Williams was demanding the ball everytime it went forward.

Defensively second half though I think we were worse off mostly due to a lack of midfield pressure but is to be expected with young players, tiring etc.

On the ball. Were you the kid sat in front of us in the heart strip with his Missus?