Melbourne Football

Joey Barton?

MHFC19

In all seriousness it was a joke, but how anyone can't say they wouldn't take Joey Barton is crazy.

He is perfect for what we need. Outspoken, mongrel, hard nosed player who would not take any shit from anyone not giving their all. Despite what many fail to recognise is he is a top class player also, being a Newcastle United fan I can attest to this. We still miss his set pieces.

He would make even Burns squirm on the field and have the media rushing to La Trobe. We would be front and back page news.

Love Joey Barton, for all his faults, you know what you get with him. He deserved jail, he deserved to be mocked and abused for what he did but he has in my opinion changed and is a settled guy since the birth of his child.

There is no chance of this happening, but want an image change, want to be recognised and this nice club persona and struggling club wiped away? Joey is the man! Would be the ultimate Terrace Legend.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I have just read the following tweet from him:

I'm 30 years old. I'm not interested in money. I just want to test myself in the best club competition in the world against the best players.

So if,

(1) The A-League equals "the best club competition in the world"; and

(2) The A-League has "the best players" who will test Joey Barton

then there is a chance.

That being said, (1) and (2) are clearly incorrect, thus, Joey Barton is highly unlikely coming to Melbourne Heart.

So I am 'retarded' for not liking a player who goes out to injure people, including his own teammates.. 

Melburnian, you described him as "Outspoken, mongrel, hard nosed player who would not take any shit from anyone not giving their all."

Muscat had the same characters as a footballer..  So I ask, what is the difference between Barton and someone like Muscat? 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bad-boy-joey-bartons-bust-ups-862234

• Like 1

So I am 'retarded' for not liking a player who goes out to injure people, including his own teammates..

Melburnian, you described him as "Outspoken, mongrel, hard nosed player who would not take any shit from anyone not giving their all."

Muscat had the same characters as a footballer.. So I ask, what is the difference between Barton and someone like Muscat?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bad-boy-joey-bartons-bust-ups-862234

Retarded? I didn't say that.

Wouldn't say that.

Just that there is significant difference in quality, experience and thuggery in Barton and Muscat. Muscat would intentionally break a leg on the football pitch. Evil. Joey is your smart arse thug.

Off the pitch Joeys reputation is qualified but I will say ever since he left jail and went to Newcastle United he is a different person. A child and a settled life has made him a new man.

Either way Joey Barton is a level or two currently better than any CM in this country in my opinion. You'd take the negative for his absolute quality.

As a leader he would demand excellence and winning around him. He would be outspoken and give relevance to our club.

In all honestly, the perfect marque for us.

So we should tolerate thuggery and make excuses for him because he will probably play well?? The same argument Victory fans used with Muscat..

Barton may well be a changed man, but his RECENT performance against Man City and subsequent ban suggests otherwise..  To say that Barton somehow doesn't mean to hurt people is way off the mark..

And a leader who is violent towards his own teammates and bags the club, players and coaches when he doesn't get his way doesn't sound like my view of what a leader should be.

• 2 weeks later...