Melbourne Football

Occasionally have trouble accessing this website

Young Polak

Yeah, on my phone now but fuck me I can't access this forum, all other websites work fine for me but chrome and Firefox say that the cannot connect to this forum giving no reason other than it simply can't connect and it only suggests me to access a cached copy. And the other computers in this house cannot connect to it so its obvious that I must do something with my net to finally access this forum.

Any ideas?

In command prompt, type the below and report back the results.

nslookup mhfcsupporters.com

ping 205.204.72.34

tracert 205.204.72.34

telnet mhfcsupporters.com 80

telnet 205.204.72.34 80

Could be a DNS issue with your ISP or a problem with a route

Edited by hedaik1

Bit weird that you had a DNS timeout, some additional things to try would be to change your DNS server to another well known one such as iiNet/Telstra or something.

This is similar to what you should be seeing

>nslookup mhfcsupporters.com
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    mhfcsupporters.com
Address:  205.204.72.34

• 1 month later...

Around once every three or four weeks I can't access this website for 4 to 7 days. And then all of a sudden I can access this site. I think I might be having the same problem as other people:

http://mhfcsupporters.com/topic/1774-need-help-cant-access-this-website-via-computer/

http://mhfcsupporters.com/topic/1750-503-service-unavailable/

Young Polak pretty much perfectly describes my situation: "Yeah, on my phone now but fuck me I can't access this forum, all other websites work fine for me but chrome and Firefox say that the cannot connect to this forum giving no reason other than it simply can't connect and it only suggests me to access a cached copy. And the other computers in this house cannot connect to it so its obvious that I must do something with my net to finally access this forum."

Just wanted to find out if there was anything I could do. It's a real annoying issue.

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. I vaguely recall resetting my router the first time I had this problem (I've had this happen a few times), but I'll make sure that if it happens again that the first thing I do is my reset router (i.e. disconnecting and reconnecting).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have now encountered the issue myself. I don't think it's a DNS issue as I can't reach the ip neither, and other domains I have on the same host don't work either.

What I am thinking is, before the issue I had a problem posting and was getting a 404 forbidden error for some reason, and I kept trying, leads me to think too many 403 errors from one ip leads the server to automatically ban that ip.

Will investigate further.

Couldn't copy and paste since can't access from computer, so I've attached.

I did a traceroute through telstra and tpg and they end at the same ip but I don't know if they're truncating the timeouts and they are normal or if they don't get the timeouts and it's part of the issue.

post-1-0-70152200-1370819252_thumb.jpg

My trace gets all the way to to the server in the US. I reckon theres a good chance theres a routing issue between 209.44.125.160 & 205.204.72.34 for your particular subnet.

To get it fixed the admin will need to gather IP Addresses of people having issues and speak with the hostwhitelabel.com. Or you could try and email them yourself I guess.

Tracing route to server10.hostwhitelabel.com [205.204.72.34]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     3 ms     8 ms     9 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    29 ms   101 ms    22 ms  nexthop.vic.iinet.net.au [203.215.7.251]
  3    25 ms    20 ms    19 ms  te7-2.mel-pipe-bdr1.iinet.net.au [203.215.6.10]

4    34 ms    29 ms    29 ms  xe-7-1-11-0.syd-ult-core1.on.ii.net [203.215.20.
102]
  5    37 ms    28 ms    29 ms  xe-7-0-10-10.br1.syd7.on.ii.net [150.101.33.112]

6    43 ms    35 ms    36 ms  ae0.br1.syd4.on.ii.net [150.101.33.14]
  7   191 ms   188 ms   190 ms  te0-0-0-1.br1.lax1.on.ii.net [203.16.213.69]
  8   204 ms   196 ms   201 ms  gig.nlayer-la1.on.ii.net [203.16.213.58]
  9   205 ms   200 ms   198 ms  ae0-110g.cr1.lax1.us.nlayer.net [69.31.127.137]

10   295 ms     *      285 ms  xe-2-2-1.cr2.ord1.us.nlayer.net [69.22.142.255]

11   252 ms   249 ms   249 ms  xe-3-0-3.cr1.tor1.ca.nlayer.net [69.22.142.78]
 12   259 ms   259 ms   258 ms  xe-0-1-1.cr1.mtl1.ca.nlayer.net [69.22.142.80]
 13   259 ms   258 ms   265 ms  as10929.xe-1-1-0.cr1.mtl1.ca.nlayer.net [69.31.1
42.122]
 14   255 ms   249 ms     *     209.44.125.160
 15   258 ms   258 ms   268 ms  server10.hostwhitelabel.com [205.204.72.34]

Trace complete.

Edited by hedaik1

I was trying to avoid submitting a support ticket with the host as I cbf with the usual bs where they treat me like an idiot and claim it isn't their fault if it's something unusual like this.

Anyway, I'll see what they say.

I was spot on, my IP was automatically banned by the server's firewall.

Should be fixed now so it doesn't happen to anyone anymore, I also think a longstanding issue with a post sometimes not posting has been fixed as part of the same issue.

Merged the two topics on this issue.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

I'm posting this using Explorer.

Normally use Google Chrome.

Since late this afternoon 2nd February I have been unable to access the site using Chrome, receiving instead a "Default Website Page" indicating that I may be able to restore access by clearing my dns cache. I've done that several times but to no avail - still can't access via Chrome.

Also notice that the favicon has changed to a white v on a sky blue background.

I can still access the site using Explorer, where the favicon is still the red one.

Much prefer to use Chrome, where all the other sites that I have tried so far are all still working.

What do I try now?

Any help appreciated - I am out of my depth.

Cheers.

I'm posting this using Explorer.

Normally use Google Chrome.

Since late this afternoon 2nd February I have been unable to access the site using Chrome, receiving instead a "Default Website Page" indicating that I may be able to restore access by clearing my dns cache. I've done that several times but to no avail - still can't access via Chrome.

Also notice that the favicon has changed to a white v on a sky blue background.

I can still access the site using Explorer, where the favicon is still the red one.

Much prefer to use Chrome, where all the other sites that I have tried so far are all still working.

What do I try now?

Any help appreciated - I am out of my depth.

Cheers.

This was an issue at our end, the server was being changed as part of measures to avoid the downtime we had the other week.

When you change what server a domain (mhfcsupporters.com) points to, there is usually a delay before that change flows through to everyone. By now it should be working for everyone.

If it's working in IE then you do have the updated DNS data, so the issue you are having seems to be due to chrome doing its own caching, if you open an incognito windows you'll probably find it works, this was happening earlier to me on chrome on my Pc, and also on my phone. Not really sure what exactly got it working properly on PC Tbh, but I'd say one of these would solve it:

Restarting browser

Restarting computer

Clearing cache and data from chrome

On my phone I just checked the Request desktop site button and it worked, I then just unchecked that setting again as it doesn't need to be on, I think checking it initially just forces the browser to lookup where the domain should be pointing.

Edited by Tesla

Thanks Tesla my friend. I have tried everything this morning. I could open the site fine in an incognito window, I could open all the forums individually with Chrome, everything with IE, but not the main forum page with Chrome. I tried creating a new bookmark in incognito and then copying that across, but to no avail.

In the end the solution was to delete all browsing history and data for the past week.

Many thanks for your assistance. Couldn't have done it without you. I think the computer would have been out on the nature strip before I lost my sanity completely.

Had a couple of other people needing help with this, similar to jw1739's post, you need to clear the cache in chrome (Settings -> advanced settings -> Clear browsing data -> just select clear cache). You don't need to delete history or cookies or anything else though.

• Like 1

Had a couple of other people needing help with this, similar to jw1739's post, you need to clear the cache in chrome (Settings -> advanced settings -> Clear browsing data -> just select clear cache). You don't need to delete history or cookies or anything else though.

Thanks mate, haven't been able to access the site on chrome all day till now!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That link isn't directly to an image, it's a page with the image on it, so you need to right click on the image and click Copy Image URL, then use that url as the image url.

The exact wording of "Copy Image URL" depends on your browser, that's what its called in chrome. If your browser doesn't have that option, it might have a "open image in new tab" option, use that instead and then copy the URL from the address bar of the new tab.

In this case the url is https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BscuA08CIAABJvQ.jpg

Which then works in the image tags as below:

BscuA08CIAABJvQ.jpg

Edited by Tesla

• 1 year later...

When I try to log on via my phone (ie not on wifi) I keep getting told my IP address is blocked.

I can still log on through wifi though so I'm guessing it wasn't something i said.  Any ideas what and where the problem is?

I have pmed "the great man" but forgot he was OS holidaying.  Anyone else help?

can you screenshot the page, or can you at least tell me if you see the forum with the error message appearing or is it just a blank page with that message?

Reason being is that it will help me figure out whether the IP is banned from the forum or from the server itself.

On 16 December 2015 at 10:18 AM, Tesla said:

can you screenshot the page, or can you at least tell me if you see the forum with the error message appearing or is it just a blank page with that message?

Reason being is that it will help me figure out whether the IP is banned from the forum or from the server itself.

ITs fixed now. I presumed you did something?

(I couldn't see the forum, it said The connection to the server was being blocked by the firewall.

If it happens again I'll do a screenshot.

cheers

• 2 months later...