Melbourne Football

Martin Mintoff

Melburnian

Seems to have been in Aus for a few months. Trialed with CCM by the looks of things and was living in the UK prior to that.

Been applying for 'regular people' jobs in the CBD and seems to be in Melbourne with his Family now.

He supports Man U and has the bedroom of a 12-year-old.

Goodluck, son. ;)

(I gathered all that from a quick skim of his twitter acc.)

• Like 1

You wouldn't think that would mean he would be sacked.

Gol Gol is such a talent. I would find it staggering if things were that bad to let him go!

Babalj, Grella and Gol Gol added to our squad for the run home.

I am going to enjoy this.

Interested to see how this chap goes. Trial at Stoke City is quite good.

I can't see us taking him over Eli

Perhaps not, but isn't it in our interests to trial young players on a regular basis? Irrespective of the positions that they play in? Rather like CCM we're never going to compete on $ terms, so we have to look for our talent in a different way from many other clubs.

• Like 1

Found a bit of info on the kid:

"20 year old Martin Mintoff was born in Malta on the 16th of October 1992. He moved to Australia as a youngster and soon showed some of the attributes needed to become a top class footballer. All throughout his junior progression Down Under Martin’s pace awareness and eye for goal saw him become one of the players to watch in the Victorian state leagues. At just 15 Martin found himself the star of Victorian Second Division Team Altona City. Where, despite spending his second year of a three year stint with the club warming the physio’s table, Martin established himself with more than 40 goals and a string of top quality performances. It was his maturity and strength on the ball that saw him rank 6th in the count for the league’s top player in 2012. A short stint with Keilor Park followed in which Martin bagged 12 goals before the big boys came knocking. A-League Club Melbourne Heart were the first to offer the striker a trial but the pull of bigger and better things meant that in July 2012 he headed to England to take a place in the Stoke City development program where he continues to prove that he can make the next step up with six goals in his first five appearances.

But for all of the Socceroo fans out there that are already excited about the prospect of seeing Martin grace the field for Australia it seems that he could take up the opportunity of playing with his native Malta, having already impressed their U21 coach Ray Farrugia.

“He’s only had a couple of training sessions with us but Martin Mintoff is an interesting player,” said Farrugia before hinting that the striker could very well feature in up-coming fixtures.

There is no doubt that Martin is an exceptional talent, but at 20 years old it seems that many people are still un willing to give him the chance at the highest of levels and I can’t help but ask why that is? But one thing is for sure Mintoff seems to score goals where ever he goes and that for me is enough to warrant his shot at the big time."

I find it rather amusing that this bloke more known amongst this forum’s posters as a former classmate or former workmate than a footballer was asked to train with Stoke.

Yet Mr Kewell had to literally invite himself down to a Stoke training session... :droy:

:lawl::lawl::lawl::lawl:

Edited by cadete

Martin Mintoff:

Jdidulica just thought I'd say thanks for everything! Much appreciated John!

Being a free agent and trying to get your first pro contract is the hardest part of a footballers life! #football #luckybreak #notgiving

guessing the club have let him go

Thats how unprofessional of a club we are. We don't tell players if they have made the team or not. We just tweet them!!

Martin Mintoff:

Being a free agent and trying to get your first pro contract is the hardest part of a footballers life! #football #luckybreak #notgiving

Thats how unprofessional of a club we are. We don't tell players if they have made the team or not. We just tweet them!!

That was Mintoff tweeting.

Martin Mintoff:

That was Mintoff tweeting.

Shit yeah i went and checked myself just now. Fuck i can't read

Hope the kid makes it.

Anyone know the present situation with that young del Solar lad who played for us out at Knights Stadium? He was hoping to get a gig with us. Had quite a good game and looked worth a trial.

He was very, very good in State comps as a kid, so there is some potential there.

Not sure, but couldn't sign del Solar anyway, thanks to that astute signing in Stevie Gray. He was trying to sort out his citizenship prior to the start of the season, but had some issues with it, that's why he never signed.