Melbourne Football

Warm Dunedin invite to Heart supporters 3/3/13 vs. Phoenix

ahmad

Hi everyone, my name is Ahmad and I'm the Chair of the Wellington Phoenix Club Supporters Group in Dunedin, New Zealand.

This is a warm invitation to all Heart supporters to come and experience the Dunedin hospitality when your team takes on the Phoenix at one of the greatest football stadiums in Australasia - Forsyth Barr Stadium - on Sunday 3 March. This fully covered stadium seats you right up close to the action and the roof helps creates an amazing atmosphere with the crowd in full voice.

If you or anyone you know of is travelling for the match or thinking about doing so, please feel free to get in touch with me for any local information, advice about accommodation/transport/activity options, or assistance with bookings. I can be contacted via email:

dunedinphoenix (at) icloud (dot) com

Or you can message me via the FaceBook for our Club Supporters page: https://www.facebook.com/DunedinPhoenixClubMembers

We look forward to seeing you all in Dunedin, and lose, draw, or (gasp) win, I'm sure that we can help make it a very memorable and worthwhile road trip.

No worries :)

Always love having other fans around - it certainly lightens up the atmosphere (in a non-flare kind of a way!)

There will be the inevitable pre- and post- match drinks happening of course, and I will post further details once finalised closer to the time.

General information about Dunedin:

University city with a population of approximately 110,000 (of which around 10,000 are students). Retains much of its Scottish heritage in historic buildings, etc. Easy walking distance within town so no car required for most visitors. Other attractions include natural wildlife tours, a chocolate factory (though production lines not accessible during weekends), and a BREWERY.

More than happy to answer questions and give advice - I've lived here all my life and love it :)

Im booked for this match!! Myself and my mum fly in on the wednesday before and fly out about a week after the game. I do know a couple of other people booked. So excited for it!!!

Are you on twitter? I'm @ahmadnz if you want to keep in touch closer to the time regarding activities going on for both teams, or do email me dunedinphoenix (at) icloud (dot) com :)

Would love to organise something with you and your fellow supporters in the lead up to the match.

Edited by ahmad

Thinking about it, about $1000 at the moment for my family of 4 to fly to christchurch and back with AirNewzealand. Maybe take the scenic drive down to dunedin.

You guys have to be friendlier than the welcome we got from the WSW fans :)

Will decide in a day or 2

• Like 1

Thinking about it, about $1000 at the moment for my family of 4 to fly to christchurch and back with AirNewzealand. Maybe take the scenic drive down to dunedin.

You guys have to be friendlier than the welcome we got from the WSW fans :)

Will decide in a day or 2

Would really love to have you along!

Yellow Fever is definitely very family friendly.

Drive from Christchurch to Dunedin is an easy 5 hour drive. 4.5 if you don't make any rest stops.

3.5 hours from Christchurch (and 1.5 hours short of Dunedin) is Oamaru - they have a great Little Blue Penguin colony where you will be guaranteed to see penguins if you are there around dusk. There are actually some reasonable accommodation options there too if you decided to sleep there for the night before heading for Dunedin.

If you do decide to stop or stay in Oamaru I can highly recommend one of my favourite restaurants ever too! Winner of the national Cuisine Magazine restaurant of the year in the "Casual Dining" category: http://www.riverstonekitchen.co.nz

Depending on your class of vehicle required, and length of rental period, budget for between $50-100 NZD per day for your vehicle (unlimited kms). Petrol here is currently around $2.13 NZD per litre.

If I can make the prospect any more enticing please let me know and I'll do my best :lol:

Edited by ahmad

Someone just asked me about accommodation in Dunedin and also how much they might need to set aside for the trip. Here's my reply:

There are lots of decent places to stay in Dunedin and the price range starts at a very reasonable $30-40 per night for hostel type backpackers accommodation in dorm rooms with shared bathrooms. Budget for around $80-$100 per night if you want a private room and/or ensuite. Hotels I think are in the region of $100-150 depending on the hotel. Or motels are available for around the same cost per room (based on 2 people staying, with additional cost for extra people). All prices in NZD.

All accommodation that I quote prices for above would be centrally located and no more an easy 5-10 minute stroll from the city centre. The stadium is a brisk 15-20 minute walk from the city.

Not sure how much money you'd put aside for such a trip. Ticket to the game is $25 NZD.

A McDonalds "meal" costs around $7-10 I think. Mains at cafes and restaurants are in the region of $15-40 depending on lunch/dinner. An espresso coffee sets you back around $4-5. A beer costs $6-8 I think (I don't drink!). Entry price to attractions I'm uncertain of but you can google for these - eg. Speights Brewery Tour, Cadbury World chocolate factory tours.

next thing you know, 50% of supporters turn up to the next home crowd because we are all either dead or kidnapped

wait...what?

I think he is being a racist kent, suggesting that me fellow brother Ahmed is a terrorist and anyone who goes over for the trip will be killed or kidnapped by Ahmed and his mates, thus reducing our attendance by 50% for the following fixture...

I don't think he meant that at all, think he was getting at the fact some random on the internet is offering friendly hospitality... nothing suss etc

• Like 2

next thing you know, 50% of supporters turn up to the next home crowd because we are all either dead or kidnapped

wait...what?

I think he is being a racist kent, suggesting that me fellow brother Ahmed is a terrorist and anyone who goes over for the trip will be killed or kidnapped by Ahmed and his mates, thus reducing our attendance by 50% for the following fixture...

Wow. That escalated quickly.

I didn't see anything racist about what he said. More of the fact it's an unusual welcome from another club.

• Like 1

Im booked for this match!! Myself and my mum fly in on the wednesday before and fly out about a week after the game. I do know a couple of other people booked. So excited for it!!!

Are you on twitter? I'm @ahmadnz if you want to keep in touch closer to the time regarding activities going on for both teams, or do email me dunedinphoenix (at) icloud (dot) com :)

Would love to organise something with you and your fellow supporters in the lead up to the match.

i have found you on twitter, i will love keeping in touch. Gladly i do know a few things about dunedin as a few of my work mates come from there.

but shall definitely connect with you. love meeting other supporters!

At this rate there are going to be more Heart supporters around than there were Roar for last year's pre-season and Community Round fixtures last August and December respectively.

This is not going to be your typical Phoenix crowd - I like to think of it is the Phoenix's home away from home. Dunedin does not have a local professional football team, and the local regional team struggles in the national league. Football doesn't have the strongest following but it definitely has large participation numbers in the winter.

Quite honestly Forsyth Barr Stadium cannot be underestimated. I am 99% certain that those of you that make the trip will be impressed by the stadium.

Last December when we only managed to pull a crowd of 4000+ (it was during the University holidays when as many as 10,000 people quietly disappear from our city) it was still a superb atmosphere as the roof leads to interesting acoustics and the crowd sounding much larger. You are extremely close to the action and from the front row you could literally spit on the sideline officials (though I would strongly discourage such activity).

If there are some of you around on the Saturday before the game on Sunday I'm hoping we might be able to organise some activities, quite aside from the possible public appearances of one or both teams.

Hi everyone - is anyone who is coming going to be around on Saturday 2 March? And can you guys come up with enough players for a football/futsal game in the town square (ours is 8-sided actually)??

Would really love to have a Fever vs MHS exhibition match if we have the numbers!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Just touching base again and confirming that there will be a small football event happening on Saturday 2 March.

The central city lawn area will be where we set up some goals and have a few kicks. Nothing too serious, just a great way to have some fun and meet with other travelling and local football fans.

The event will also involve inviting children along to have a kick on the field too, with a huge focus on drawing families and casual fans along.

Hope to hear from a few more of you soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Only 12 days to go!

How many are confirmed to be travelling for this one? Hopefully at least enough to form a team to play Yellow Fever on our town square (Octagon) lawn?

This event is now confirmed for Saturday 2 March 1pm - 3pm and everyone is welcomed. Really hoping to see you there and please made contact in advance if you can so we can organise a team for a fan match.

Email - dunedinphoenix (at) icloud (dot) com

You are also invited to the pre- and post-match drinks, but I'll need to confirm that venue before I can do that :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, if you are coming to this match then on behalf of Dunedin City, I welcome you. Might not be as special as a Mayoral welcome to the city but I've arranged for that too - this Saturday at 1pm in the equivalent of our town square, "The Octagon".

Here are the details of events for the weekend. Please feel free to join us!

Saturday 2 March

10:30am-12:00pm - (Phoenix) open training session at Forsyth Barr Stadium. Come along and spy on your enemies.

1pm-3pm - The inaugural Octagon Festival of Football. Be there and join the Melbourne Heart Supporters in taking on Yellow Fever on the Octagon lawn. A special guest from the Heart will be there!

Alibi Bar (Octagon) - $6 tap beers and house wines until close (9pm for a private function) - available to anyone in Phoenix gear that asks for the offer, and I'm sure if you are in Heart gear they will sort you out too ;)

Sunday 3 March

9am-3pm - Alibi Bar Fever pre-match. 25% off brunch/lunch, $6 tap beers and house wines - available to anyone in Phoenix gear that asks for the offer - once again if you ask for the deal and you are in Heart gear, they will sort you out. Tell them Ahmad sent you ;)

3:15pm - March to the Phoenix Match. Join us as we march down town and through the University Campus along to Forsyth Barr Stadium. Come crash our party if you want to! But keep it clean please. Family event.

Post-match - Craft Bar (also in the Octagon). As we were told that Alibi would be closed on Sunday night, post-match will be at Craft Bar. They will be offering: $5 Export 33s. $6 Monteith Classic Range. This excludes Cider and the Brewer's Series. Also $5 off board mains (excluding the Sunday Roast special). Available to anyone in Phoenix gear that asks for the offer - yada yada.

Cheers to DB, Alibi, and Craft for these specials. Please remember that these specials are PRIVILEGES - ie. don't be a dick if you are told that there are specific exclusions and try to push it. If you have any issues have a chat to the bar manager or me.

Edited by ahmad
  • Like 2

Hi everyone, if you are coming to this match then on behalf of Dunedin City, I welcome you. Might not be as special as a Mayoral welcome to the city but I've arranged for that too - this Saturday at 1pm in the equivalent of our town square, "The Octagon".

Here are the details of events for the weekend. Please feel free to join us!

Saturday 2 March

10:30am-12:00pm - (Phoenix) open training session at Forsyth Barr Stadium. Come along and spy on your enemies.

1pm-3pm - The inaugural Octagon Festival of Football. Be there and join the Melbourne Heart Supporters in taking on Yellow Fever on the Octagon lawn. A special guest from the Heart will be there!

Alibi Bar (Octagon) - $6 tap beers and house wines until close (9pm for a private function) - available to anyone in Phoenix gear that asks for the offer, and I'm sure if you are in Heart gear they will sort you out too ;)

Sunday 3 March

9am-3pm - Alibi Bar Fever pre-match. 25% off brunch/lunch, $6 tap beers and house wines - available to anyone in Phoenix gear that asks for the offer - once again if you ask for the deal and you are in Heart gear, they will sort you out. Tell them Ahmad sent you ;)

3:15pm - March to the Phoenix Match. Join us as we march down town and through the University Campus along to Forsyth Barr Stadium. Come crash our party if you want to! But keep it clean please. Family event.

Post-match - Craft Bar (also in the Octagon). As we were told that Alibi would be closed on Sunday night, post-match will be at Craft Bar. They will be offering: $5 Export 33s. $6 Monteith Classic Range. This excludes Cider and the Brewer's Series. Also $5 off board mains (excluding the Sunday Roast special). Available to anyone in Phoenix gear that asks for the offer - yada yada.

Cheers to DB, Alibi, and Craft for these specials. Please remember that these specials are PRIVILEGES - ie. don't be a dick if you are told that there are specific exclusions and try to push it. If you have any issues have a chat to the bar manager or me.

Have mass respect for the yellow fever . Sound like a great bunch to be around.

I can't go to this game, but will consider going next season. Will be very happy to meet you guys!