• CBD Area
    • Western Suburbs
    • South East
    • North East
    • North West
    • Geelong
    • Other

Hey,

All this talk of an identity crisis and the debate of a rebranding/relocation has got me thinking about the current supporter base and their location in Melbourne. If we were to rebrand ourselves as "Monash Heart" or "East Melbourne Heart" would that not alienate all the supporters who live out in the west and vice versa? If we want to differentaite ourselves from Victory (other than the colours) than we have to find out where the current 6,000-7000 base lives...

than we have to find out where the current 6,000-7000 base lives...

Pretty sure they club already know...

Majority of fans are from the North and Western suburbs. Whilst MV have more fans in South and Eastern suburbs. It's to late to do anything now bacause both have many fans scattered all over the state.

Should have been two clubs from both Sydney and Melbourne to begin with.

Hey,

All this talk of an identity crisis and the debate of a rebranding/relocation has got me thinking about the current supporter base and their location in Melbourne. If we were to rebrand ourselves as "Monash Heart" or "East Melbourne Heart" would that not alienate all the supporters who live out in the west and vice versa? If we want to differentaite ourselves from Victory (other than the colours) than we have to find out where the current 6,000-7000 base lives...

Why?

The Answer would be all over Melbourne - Hence the side being called Melbourne Heart.

than we have to find out where the current 6,000-7000 base lives...

Majority of fans are from the North and Western suburbs. Whilst MV have more fans in South and Eastern suburbs. It's to late to do anything now bacause both have many fans scattered all over the state.

What Data, Research or Sources have u read or found to base this statement on?

Edited by cadete

Does everyone not realise that the latest TV rights deal guarantees Hearts (and the other 9 teams) future for the next 4 years.

Thats alot of time to build a fan base, and stop worrying about this negative publicity.

If you want a better indication of fans locality - not that it makes any difference , stand on the richmond platform after the game and watch which direction they go. Think you'll find an even split going east and west.

Does everyone not realise that the latest TV rights deal guarantees Hearts (and the other 9 teams) future for the next 4 years.

Thats alot of time to build a fan base, and stop worrying about this negative publicity.

If you want a better indication of fans locality - not that it makes any difference , stand on the richmond platform after the game and watch which direction they go. Think you'll find an even split going east and west.

So what u are saying is Melbourne Heart fans, come from all over Melbourne.

Seems Legit. :up:

I don't think the whole geographical differentiation would work at all because of the way Melbourne is layed out also because of the AFL mentality where people rarely support the team that represents their suburb rather a team who is competitive. I think the only differences that will be formed between heart and victory is the attitude of the community that support either victory or heart

I can't see how changing the name to suit an area would help very much. If fans want to support a team they will. I can't see some person out in the west or east deciding to support the club now and not before because they didn't feel represented because the name was Melbourne.

The secret is not to be shit and stand for something.

• Like 2

I just find it frustrating that there is almost no difference between the two clubs...its like we exist just for Melbourne Derbys..whereas watching WSW on saturday night showed that they have a massive market and are extremely passionate (and yes i know about the divide of the west and east in sydney compared to here in Melbourne)

Its almost like the big bash..why will you follow stars over renegades or the other way?? The colours? A particluar player? it turns into an intra-club match more than anything else..it dosnt help that heart recruited Behich, Dugandzic, Sarkies in their first couple of years.

I doubt you will get many fans from Melbourne traveling to Geelong.

Really???

Well at least 50 Yarrasiders travelled to North Shore (Geelong) on a cold wet Friday night for a game against a Select XI this Preseason in a Paddock.

Compare this to a Modern Kardina Park right next to a Train Station, Pubs and Offical A League game being played during the day time I think you would get quite a few.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

They better !! I travel with a few guys in a 300km round trip each week, including friendlies and a couple interstate away games. I'm not proud, but if people in melbourne that have the money and time can't even travel to Geelong for a game that has 3 points attached then they better have a hard look at themselves.

• Like 5

They better !! I travel with a few guys in a 300km round trip each week, including friendlies and a couple interstate away games. I'm not proud, but if people in melbourne that have the money and time can't even travel to Geelong for a game that has 3 points attached then they better have a hard look at themselves.

I travel 600km ;)

• Like 2

If we move any games from aami you devalue memberships, hence costing you members. Last year we played a game at morwell and 2500 fans turned out. Hardly a success why would geelong be any better. I Recommend this article just out to give perspective

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/despite-naysayers-damning-melbourne-heart-things-have-never-looked-better-writes-fox-sports-simon-hill/story-e6frf4gl-1226538514595#.UM6_lHNevIY

Edited by schrecky
  • Like 1

That's naive. Geelong population is far bigger than Morwell, 14k vs 175k. Im all for counrt games too, but Geelong supporters are more than likely to attend a game in town rather than the folks from the country. Geelong is a massive market waiting to be untapped form a Aleague perspective. It's only an hour rail or drive and is set to expand population wise in next few decades. I'm in Bundoora and I'd drive there easily to watch my team play, but don't have time to drive a few hours each way for Morwell, no disrespect.

Note the Cats supporters, they really rally behind the club. I say we play 2-3 in Geelong off season and 2 or so during season. Can use local boy Skoko as a marketing ploy to. There's massive potential to appeal to local public, lots of football lovers there also. In my mind its even better than playing in Tassie. Get on it, make enough noise and we'll find our M/shop base grow over time.

I take my hat off for you :)