Melbourne Football

Week 15 (Mid Week) : Melbourne v Central Coast Mariners - 18 Jan - 7:30pm

Hammerhead

Hopefully we can salvage a draw in this game. Really need to improve our home form if we're to be taken seriously as a top 3 team.

Also as far as weather goes there has been some forecast of possible afternoon storms in melbourne.

Also we'll be in the 3rd kit for this game correct?

I think we should experiment & mix things up for this fixture, might as well do it now instead of doing in a few weeks when we will NEED to change something if things are still going badly, we go into this fixture with not a huge chance of winning going by current form & results, so now would be a good fixture to mix it up a little.

Can't see us getting the job done here. We have structural issues.

- Inexperienced CBs.

- No experienced DM/distributor.

- Runners such as Dugandzic, Thompson, Worm, Marrone have dropped off.

I still think with our best team, we can finish 3rd and win a couple of home finals and see what happens.

I agree, especially with the bolded part.

Behich worked his arse off yesterday but he was about the only one until Germano came on. The players you mention didn't do enough for mine, and it's those players who should be leading the way. Dugandzic is still pretty good when below par at least - I gotta say that given my photo.

Anyway, Heart 2-0 on Wednesday. Maycon and Hoffman to score. ;)

Ahh . . . who am I kidding. Babalj and Dugandzic.

• Like 1

Some experimentation might be good. I don't think we need to experiment up front though. The defence and midfield could perhaps be altered. Try playing 3-4-3 again? Colosimo may be back, or perhaps Germano could play in a back 3 with Good and Hamill? Sarkies, Behich, Marrone, Thompson midfield then maybe? I have no idea what we should try given the circumstances.

It will be a tough game, but I'm more concerned about playing against Brisbane on Sat than Mariners on Weds.

Just need to get the ball to the final third, create a few chances and take them, like we did against Brisbane. I'm not expecting much so if we come away with anything, a decent performance or a point, I'll be happy.

One thing I noticed, not that I have stats to back it up so I might be wrong, but most goals we have scored recently have been counters and quick breaks. Not that's a bad thing and it's good we can do that, but we don't look that troublesome building up towards goal. Teams just sit back and wait for us to give it to them because we look like we don't have much idea of what to do next !! Very frustrating.

@cadete You've said many a time, especially last year that we would be better off playing a 442 diamond with advanced wingers and wingbacks that also push up, but for this to work we need a destroyer in the midfield, and someone to clean up the scraps in defence. A lot of problems would have been solved if we'd signed Madaschi on a permanent contract.

I'd love to see Babalj and Terra playing off eachother, but I think it would work much better with Dugandzic and Babalj, which also frees up more space on the wings. But for either of these to work, we need Fred in behind them.

With a fully fit squad, I'd like to see JvS try this starting XI.

Bolton

Marrone - Hamill - Colosimo - Behich

Srhoj/Thompson

Williams - Fred - Worm

Dugandzic - Babalj

Subs: Mattei, Good, Germano, Hoffman.

This also allows Dave Williams into his preferred RW inverted winger role, Hoffman to play off the bench as a striker, Germano to inject versatility and energy off the bench and Thompson to play as a box to box midfielder.

Edited by marteaux

One thing I noticed, not that I have stats to back it up so I might be wrong, but most goals we have scored recently have been counters and quick breaks. Not that's a bad thing and it's good we can do that, but we don't look that troublesome building up towards goal. Teams just sit back and wait for us to give it to them because we look like we don't have much idea of what to do next !! Very frustrating.

This is very true and its the main way Heart are different from their first season. Last season we kept the ball and would build up and attack (not always efficiently, but its the way we played and it did win games). This season we keep the ball less and try more often to quickly get behind defences. Sometimes its good, but against tough defences which sit deep it means we are less able/practiced in actually building up a play and beating a defence to score. The Mariners have the toughest defence in the league only conceding some 11 goals. We'll learn if we can unlock defences and actually create chances this season or not.

My concern is the young players aren't up for a good possession game which can unlock defences. Hopefully my concern is completely unfounded.

Edited by Murfy1

The only player in our team that can possibly replace Fred is Germano. How long till he is back?

Babalj is better on the ground than in the air. Real tawk. Thats nothing against his aerial ability neither.

need to do whatever it takes to get Dugandzic back in form, even if it means resting him for a game. Behich has taken the crown as best player in the squad off him for a while now. But when Dugandzic is on he is not only the best player in the team, but the best player in the league.

Srhoj haters, please go.

And, as always, Worm out. Forever against Worm.

Tesla has spoken.

Edited by Tesla

Need to get somewone in our backline who is over 18 years of age. I thought colosimo was playing the last game against Perth? Thought he was named in the team sheet maybe saving him for ccm? Anyway, i would be happy with a dram against this team, there the best team in the league atm and to get a draw against them would be good. Also, if we want to win please don't start hoffman. The guy doesn't seem to have any position on the field and everytime he gets the ball he looks like a deer in headlights.

Germano reminds me alot of Fred, I like how they both close down players and pressure pressure pressure. Germano seems to link with worm and Fred seems to link with Babalj, madaschi aside I think the main reason we won those 5 games in a row was due to Fred & Germano bossing the midfield. Just wish we could have a fully fit squad for a whole season!

Unacceptable.

Yes, completely unacceptable.

Was saying this the other day. Our whole game plan is built around sustained pressure and creating an opening, yet I don't remember a goal we have scored that hasn't been on the counter. At the moment the midfield know that they have to pass the ball around waiting for an opening, but I don't think they know one when they see one.

@cadete You've said many a time, especially last year that we would be better off playing a 442 diamond with advanced wingers and wingbacks that also push up, but for this to work we need a destroyer in the midfield, and someone to clean up the scraps in defence. A lot of problems would have been solved if we'd signed Madaschi on a permanent contract.

I'd love to see Babalj and Terra playing off eachother, but I think it would work much better with Dugandzic and Babalj, which also frees up more space on the wings. But for either of these to work, we need Fred in behind them.

With a fully fit squad, I'd like to see JvS try this starting XI.

Bolton

Marrone - Hamill - Colosimo - Behich

Srhoj/Thompson

Williams - Fred - Worm

Dugandzic - Babalj

Subs: Mattei, Good, Germano, Hoffman.

This also allows Dave Williams into his preferred RW inverted winger role, Hoffman to play off the bench as a striker, Germano to inject versatility and energy off the bench and Thompson to play as a box to box midfielder.

You're wanting to start Williams and drop Terra!? say what now!? Shroj getting a starting berth over Germano!? Thank fuck you're not the manager mate!

Need to get somewone in our backline who is over 18 years of age. I thought colosimo was playing the last game against Perth? Thought he was named in the team sheet maybe saving him for ccm? Anyway, i would be happy with a dram against this team, there the best team in the league atm and to get a draw against them would be good. Also, if we want to win please don't start hoffman. The guy doesn't seem to have any position on the field and everytime he gets the ball he looks like a deer in headlights.

Hamill is 19, problem solvered.