Melbourne Football

Week 24: Melbourne v Sydney FC - Mar 17 - 7:45pm

Hammerhead

In all my years of watching football I have never seen a side pass the ball backwards as often as Heart - even free-kicks. This just has to stop next season. Also messing about with the ball in defence - almost cost us the match. So many passes went astray - Thompson again the worst culprit. . TBH, don't think we deserve a place in the play-offs on this showing.

I shouldn't complain having penciled them down for a loss, sorta a half win which is a bit like a half wank which in reality is shite. Can't knock them on their consistency as that's one thing they do excel at, unfortunately it's the completely wrong traits that champion teams exude.

I apologise as I keep banging on about this but your first sentence JW, it only seems to be seen by a few in here, people seriously can't keep defending this idea of us playing attractive football. All teams from bumfuckidaho u12's to the top flight display attractive football at times but in the majority we do not.

Please, for christ sake can someone show me the difference in our gameplan to the other 80% of teams in the league. The reason i tipped Sydney was because of their experience and having looked in better form than us recently which brings me to your 3rd sentence. The lack of direction and leadership shown by Thompson was non-existent and coupled with a horrible display of passing not just this week but past weeks also would seriously have to have people questioning his value to the club. Mind you his not the only one that didn't step up to the plate and grab the game by the balls, we really lack any sort of mongrel. Agree with your last sentence also but I guess that's capitalism.

its impossible for us to get a home final

No it isn't, If we lose to Adelaide and finish 6th, then beat Perth in the play-offs we get a home final in the 2nd round.

Fuck I really want us to lose and finish 6th. We play well in Perth, but we are always fucking shit in Welly!

No it isn't, If we lose to Adelaide and finish 6th, then beat Perth in the play-offs we get a home final in the 2nd round.

Fuck I really want us to lose and finish 6th. We play well in Perth, but we are always fucking shit in Welly!

how does that work? pretty sure the higher placed team in the second round gets a home final

so if we finish 5th, and we beat wellington and if newcastle/sydney beat perth then we will get the home final 2nd round because we finished above them in the ladder

• Like 1

how does that work? pretty sure the higher placed team in the second round gets a home final

so if we finish 5th, and we beat wellington and if newcastle/sydney beat perth then we will get the home final 2nd round because we finished above them in the ladder

Yep you are completely correct.

Despite the fact we have secured finals for the first time, I was remarkably flat when the missus picked me up post game.

Bloody tough result to deal with. Great that we made finals but we really blew an opportunity to get that home final with the usual issues - sloppy defending and lack of finishing touch.

That's the moment we need on-field leadership. Where was it?

Which is why other than a finisher, we need an experienced leader at CB. Someone who has that presence. It was embarrassing last night. How obvious was it when we were sitting back and playing more balls to Bolton then anyone else. FFS, was a disgrace last night.

have got a feeling this week it will all click, with a big win on the way.

3-0

duga x 1(21st) , fred x 1(65th), babalj x 1 (83rd)

crowd: 7,187 - Crowd was 7,498.

2 of the 3 goal scorers, and fred should have scored as well.

and only a couple hundred off the crowd figure.

score line was completely wrong though.

decent effort id say.

Edited by MTP

ACG I must say are pathetic.

I HATE people who say "all these soccer fans, all they do is throw flares and cause trouble", that is crap. 99.99% of football fans are respectful of others around them, don't cause trouble and are passionate, that's all.

BTW after the game there was whole bunch of f***w** police in their riot gear. What for? Bloody morons

I'd like to know why two people were thrown out and roughly handled after the flare was lit. It only takes 1 person to light the flare, so they were obviously guessing.

I was sitting on the wing and the rough treatment was pretty obvious for everyone to see.

Edited by hedaik1
  • Like 1

I apologise as I keep banging on about this but your first sentence JW, it only seems to be seen by a few in here, people seriously can't keep defending this idea of us playing attractive football.

Us playing "attractive football" is simply a lie. Say it often enough and people start to believe it. Same with us playing "possession football".

There's nothing attractive about the keeper bombing it to a forward who is too short, or a tall striker who's never won a heading dual, umpteen times per game.

Its not "possession football" when your midfielders-all FOUR- can't string three passes together. Maybe this is why Bolton avoids them.

We are, at best, a counter-attacking side. Its why we get better results away form home. We don't have to dominate the possession, because we can't anyway.

But that won't bring crowd's in to home games. FFS we played Sydney not Barcelona, and JVS went in without a left winger (Behich played both LW and LB), to stack the middle. And yet even with this numerical advantage Carle, Antonis and McFlynn (McFlynn!), made us chase shadows all game, always second to the ball, always too heavy with the touch, always second best in the challenges.

Last season we dominated possession. Slow, tedious possession with no cutting edge. This season its very direct, with the keeper being the main provider! Laughable!

For all his plaudits JVS is nothing more than a youth coach. I for one welcome a different approach next season to what we've had this season.

Us playing "attractive football" is simply a lie. Say it often enough and people start to believe it. Same with us playing "possession football".

There's nothing attractive about the keeper bombing it to a forward who is too short, or a tall striker who's never won a heading dual, umpteen times per game.

Its not "possession football" when your midfielders-all FOUR- can't string three passes together. Maybe this is why Bolton avoids them.

We are, at best, a counter-attacking side. Its why we get better results away form home. We don't have to dominate the possession, because we can't anyway.

But that won't bring crowd's in to home games. FFS we played Sydney not Barcelona, and JVS went in without a left winger (Behich played both LW and LB), to stack the middle. And yet even with this numerical advantage Carle, Antonis and McFlynn (McFlynn!), made us chase shadows all game, always second to the ball, always too heavy with the touch, always second best in the challenges.

Last season we dominated possession. Slow, tedious possession with no cutting edge. This season its very direct, with the keeper being the main provider! Laughable!

For all his plaudits JVS is nothing more than a youth coach. I for one welcome a different approach next season to what we've had this season.

I think it is more complicated than that. Sometimes we play a good possession game, with patient build up, sometimes we struggle to string two passes together. we aren't a possession based side and we aren't a counter attacking side. Some people think this is a strength, personally i don't. Our players struggle to switch between the two.

One of my biggest criticisms of JVS has always been his desire to have the team sit back and defend the lead, that is why we have never really flogged a side before as we never go for the jugular.

The long ball stuff is down to the midfield not moving enough off the ball to provide passing options to play out of the back.

The other thing to not from this game was Sydney always had to option to play out of trouble with their two wide players being generally unmarked. This was down to JVS playing four central midfielders and trying to choke the central channels. leaving the wings to be guarded by Marrone and Aziz.

I think it is more complicated than that. Sometimes we play a good possession game, with patient build up, sometimes we struggle to string two passes together. we aren't a possession based side and we aren't a counter attacking side. Some people think this is a strength, personally i don't. Our players struggle to switch between the two.

One of my biggest criticisms of JVS has always been his desire to have the team sit back and defend the lead, that is why we have never really flogged a side before as we never go for the jugular.

Agree. Its madness to hold onto a 1-0 when lets face it our defense at times has been comical this season.

Even at 2-0, you concede once and then its 2-1- and the momentum is all with the opposition. I played with a coach who would always say at 2-0 they will come our hard after half time. We have to come our harder and kill the game off with a third.

The long ball stuff is down to the midfield not moving enough off the ball to provide passing options to play out of the back.

Agree. The lack of movement is so frustrating but jeez its been happening all year!. I think there's a lack of leadership on the pitch to keep players moving.

The other thing to not from this game was Sydney always had to option to play out of trouble with their two wide players being generally unmarked. This was down to JVS playing four central midfielders and trying to choke the central channels. leaving the wings to be guarded by Marrone and Aziz.

Yep, but it happened for 90 minutes and there was no tactical change. I wonder why Worm or Williams weren't brought on at half time to go for the third and stop Jamieson's free running.