Melbourne Football

Heart stadium

Huzie

Another brilliant move by another incompetent government. No one told the roof designers about the plan to expand meaning now its current capacity will forever be and then they go and charge exorbitant rates for it use.

Love storm, heart and rebels to share a stadium owned by the clubs and tell amy parks to sod off.

I'm quite serious about the idea. You develop a proposal for, say, a 15000 capacity ground, and then take it around the various councils who own potential sites. The deal be that Heart (with maybe the Rebels and the Storm) propose to put up the capital to develop the stadium infrastructure, the council continues to own the land but the clubs enter into a long-term lease-back arrangement, say 25 years. Of course there would be hurdles to overcome (NIMBY being one), but - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Plenty of money and the establishment hanging around the Rebels - they'd be my first port of call.

This not about thinking big, it's about thinking smart.

• Like 1

Melbourne rebels averaged just over 17,000 last year and they had a crap year. with many attendances above 20k couldn't imagine them wanting to move.

There membership costs a fair bit as well.

Storm were close to 15000 average, but play alot more games.

I think we should just hang in there - a few years , a few good decisions and our crowds can be that high.

Based on last years numbers we were not that bad..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Australian_football_code_crowds#Attendances_by_Code

Edited by schrecky

I'm quite serious about the idea. You develop a proposal for, say, a 15000 capacity ground, and then take it around the various councils who own potential sites. The deal be that Heart (with maybe the Rebels and the Storm) propose to put up the capital to develop the stadium infrastructure, the council continues to own the land but the clubs enter into a long-term lease-back arrangement, say 25 years. Of course there would be hurdles to overcome (NIMBY being one), but - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Plenty of money and the establishment hanging around the Rebels - they'd be my first port of call.

This not about thinking big, it's about thinking smart.

Nothing ventured nothing gained I agree.

I think we wait till we at least average 15,000 a week (without the numbers of the Derby) to get a proposal in for our own stadium. But I am of the belief, despite my love for AAMI Park as a venue, that the next step in football in this country is your own stadiums. Exclusive for your team.

As you stated, it can happen, but we are not in the ball park yet to get it. We have to show our long term stability, a massive increase in memberships and general admission walk ins, winning and culture. We have to be a sponsors dream. At the minute, I must say whilst we have some success, every critical aspect you look at, you have to doubt our long term viability.

We have great people at our club, the right philosophy, good mentality and building a strong culture, yet, we have low membership base and crowd figures on occasions are embarrassing. This simply has to change. If it doesn't the club will not survive as they league grows. Our fans are tremendous and balanced. You have the Yarraside who in my opinion are the best Terrace group in all aspects. The noise is sensational and the colour, the originality in tifos. the never boo your team aspect puts them up the top for mine. Then you have the RWU who are the Fan Association who provide content and avenues for all the fans and a voice for the fans to the club and vise verser. Also thrown in for great effect I notice heaps of families and youngsters around which points to a good future if that can grow. It is a tremendous output for the club, but the question remains why are numbers so low. The aspects of the club are spot on, whats not happening.

We figure this question out, we achieve results, then who is to say we cannot get a 20,000 seat stadium, purpose built just for us with the ability to extend. That would be an amazing achievement one day. Red seats with a MHFC in white on the seats on the side and a big emblem on the ones behind the goals. That would be the dream.

Whilst it is fantasy talk at the moment, and our concentration should be on just growing to be sustainable, it is something the club should be talking about and planning.

I think due to us having such a slow start to the season was a big issue for us not getting more members, if we continue our good run into the finals I think can get back to 7-8k people at a game and if we do well in the finals and get a really good signing preseason I think we can expect our numbers to go up to 7-8k members (before 5 game memberships)

We figure this question out, we achieve results, then who is to say we cannot get a 20,000 seat stadium, purpose built just for us with the ability to extend. That would be an amazing achievement one day. Red seats with a MHFC in white on the seats on the side and a big emblem on the ones behind the goals. That would be the dream.

But where would the money come from?

Take the Western Bulldogs in the AFL for example. They have 32,000 members, an average attendance in excess of 28,000, and yet rarely fill up their ground Etihad Stadium. They would be ideal for a second stadium of approx 30,000 capacity. North Melbourne is the same. But no one is interested in it because the costs are so prohibitive that it is not financially viable and atm the situation doesn't demand they need their own stadium.

If everything in your post does come to fruition regarding the strength of the club, then why would anybody look to change something which is clearly working? If we ever match Victory's attendances then the size stadium we are looking at is still Aami Park. How could you possibly convince any major funder that Aami Park isn't sufficient for our needs and thus requires an investment in many millions of dollars which will merely net us a ground where we have to manage upkeep, try and find a location that suits our already well established fanbase that enjoys coming to Aami Park and may not be keen to drive all the way to the Western/Eastern suburbs. Plus what do we do for the months and months where we aren't actually playing? Just train on it and take the financial hit? Aami Park is pretty good, and the stadium idea whilst a lovely one, belongs in FM.

• Like 1

Melbourne rebels averaged just over 17,000 last year and they had a crap year. with many attendances above 20k couldn't imagine them wanting to move.

There membership costs a fair bit as well.

Storm were close to 15000 average, but play alot more games.

I think we should just hang in there - a few years , a few good decisions and our crowds can be that high.

Based on last years numbers we were not that bad..

http://en.wikipedia....ndances_by_Code

Do remember that the Rebels have a very different demographic to Heart, they try and go for the rich and wealthy eastern suburbs private school kids and parents and from what I've heard they do give away quite a lot of free memberships etc. They also have a rubbish roster, but have some absolute crowd pullers, i.e. O'Connor and Beale

Also I have been to Storm games were they are lucky to get more than 6 or 7k on numerous occasions

Edited by toogood18

Do remember that the Rebels have a very different demographic to Heart, they try and go for the rich and wealthy eastern suburbs private school kids and parents and from what I've heard they do give away quite a lot of free memberships etc. They also have a rubbish roster, but have some absolute crowd pullers, i.e. O'Connor and Beale

Also I have been to Storm games were they are lucky to get more than 6 or 7k on numerous occasions

There is no way a professional sporting team would limit itself to such a particular supporter base.

These might be the people attending games because the play the sport - but not a deilbrete intention of club.

Playing at AAMI is unsustainable IMO. We simply do not have the crowds to justify the costs. The club will need to consider relocating its home games except the derby if it wants to survive. The "no brainer" for me is to play out of Lakeside. It will possibly cost 10% of what AAMI does. If we grow too big for Lakeside we can always move back in to AAMI. As for building our own, its just a pipe dream.

Playing at AAMI is unsustainable IMO. We simply do not have the crowds to justify the costs. The club will need to consider relocating its home games except the derby if it wants to survive. The "no brainer" for me is to play out of Lakeside. It will possibly cost 10% of what AAMI does. If we grow too big for Lakeside we can always move back in to AAMI. As for building our own, its just a pipe dream.

no one said it wasnt a dream...

lakeside would be a good choice

Forget Lakeside. Moving there would be the end of Melbourne Heart. It's purpose built for athletics, not football. Zero atmosphere. Crowd too far from the action.

If you're in the thick of the active support, you might think that way. The rest of us in the end go for the football.

Lakeside has two stands with seats totalling 7000, on the side of the football oval. Behind the goals there are steps that can be stood on or sat on. Yes there is a running track.

But look at the affordability. They charge $5 per adult entry for athletics meets. So the costs there must be low. Of course Aths Aus would jack that up, but no where like AAMI. Plus the club could say its acting to the recent government recommendations about the A-League seeking better stadium deals. No they won't like AAMI being empty, but that was built without us in mind anyway.

Price the stadium seats from $20-$35. Uncovered general admission $15 Adults (everyone, pensioners students), $5 for kids under 14. At an average of $25 for 7000 attendance thats $175k match day revenue. The club could do its own catering and give itself a second source of revenue, say they get another $35k -try something different here: offer Greek, Italian, Serb Croatian, Sth American Lebanese Asian Indian food stalls. A link to "old soccer". Say match day costs are 60k, that still leaves the club about 150k in the black.

Now I think Fox demands stadiums with 10 k seating and video screens. The FFA should negotiate a wavering of this for new clubs in the first 5 years.

I don't know what the transport is like though.

When we get bigger, we move full time to AAMI.

We played in Morwell for christ sake, the club could at the very least give Aths Aus a call and book a couple of "community round" matches and trial it.

• Like 1

We cant play at lakeside because then we'll no longer be elite, no casual sports fan will travel to lakeside because they prefer the feel of a big occasion at a good venue like AAMI, That's why Victorys crowds are always good at Ethiad because it's a bigger sense of occasion if we play at 2nd rate stadiums we will be treated as a 2nd team

• Like 1

Price wise would be unbeatable. Perhaps even temporary seating could be added behind either goals to take it up to the 10k required by Fox. As for video screens there is one already behind one of the goals as shown below, don't know if more would be needed.

lakeside1.jpg

Ok I didn't see that video screen photo.

And they would only need 3km of temporary seating. I reckon even that would be negotiable if the FFA got on board with the club and pushed Fox

Personally its a no-brainer to at least schedule Glory and Phoenix there next season, I can guarantee will do better than we did at Morwell!

We cant play at lakeside because then we'll no longer be elite, no casual sports fan will travel to lakeside because they prefer the feel of a big occasion at a good venue like AAMI, That's why Victorys crowds are always good at Ethiad because it's a bigger sense of occasion if we play at 2nd rate stadiums we will be treated as a 2nd team

I agree with that 100%. But if it comes down to it, being treated like a poor man's victory is better then not having a team at all.

• Like 1

MV crowds are big at Etihad because its much easier to get to. Not everyone lives East of the Yarra. I live in the West and take public transport. On train at Sydenham, off train at Southern Cross. Getting to AAMI can take 30 minutes longer depending on whether trains/trams run on time or not or if they're full. The derby took 25 minutes from Flinder St beacsue we chose the trams which were few in number and full. Getting home is a bitch. Last night missed the train, sat for 40 minutes at Flinders.

We can try to aim for world class stadia, and the debts can keep mounting until the syndicate goes broke and says "enough". They won't break even next season, AAMI will jack the costs the season after I believe. Or as the government has already said, we need to live within our means.

The derby took 25 minutes from Flinder St beacsue we chose the trams which were few in number and full. Getting home is a bitch. Last night missed the train, sat for 40 minutes at Flinders.

Both Aami and Docklands are a 10 minute walk from Flinders street station.

I can see myself getting absolutely canned for saying this but i seriously wouldnt of minded FFV to keep Olympic Park up and running and let us play a quite few of our games there , It is a perfect size for the type of crowds we get, and it seems like we are losing heaps of money by playing at AAMI, (going by the fact that victory are losing money and we get about 1/2 the crowds they do)

I can see myself getting absolutely canned for saying this but i seriously wouldnt of minded FFV to keep Olympic Park up and running and let us play a quite few of our games there , It is a perfect size for the type of crowds we get, and it seems like we are losing heaps of money by playing at AAMI, (going by the fact that victory are losing money and we get about 1/2 the crowds they do)

Lakeside is basically just a brand new version of olympic park

Both Aami and Docklands are a 10 minute walk from Flinders street station.

Not to be a smart arse, but Google maps measure it at about 2 km along batman avenue. Walking pace is about 5-7 km/hr, slower if you have a 70 year old father coming. Say 2 km @6 km/hr= 0.33 hrs ie 20 minutes walk.

I'm just saying its one reason that more people go to Etihad for Victory games.

Olympic Park doesn't exist anymore

The derby took 25 minutes from Flinder St beacsue we chose the trams which were few in number and full.

Why would you go to Flinders on the way to a game?

Get off at Southern Cross and switch trains there. Saves a lot of time.

Just to clear something up, Aami was capped at it's current capacity predominantly because when the Victorian Government were building Docklands, one of the contract requirements was that no stadium would be built larger than 30,000 in the next decade or two in Victoria, so that basically Docklands would get all the big events.

And i agree with Cadete, this thread is pointless. Aami is beautiful.

havnt seen that 30 page TTIM thread then?

Strong comparison.

One is a random chat thread that rolls from one topic to the next under a broad heading in the Club Room hence its daily use and longevity .

This poses a question that has already been answered , AAMI Park was built specifically as MH was coming onboard as a tenant.

MH are not going to move away from AAMI Park.,

Why would you go to Flinders on the way to a game?

Get off at Southern Cross and switch trains there. Saves a lot of time.

We do. The next Ricmond train is usually only 3 minutes on the next platform. No probs. But then it goes through Flinders first. And waits 15 minutes at Flinder St. So we 1. sit and wait 2. walk or 3. take a punt on a tram.

Strong comparison.

One is a random chat thread that rolls from one topic to the next under a broad heading in the Club Room hence its daily use and longevity .

This poses a question that has already been answered , AAMI Park was built specifically as MH was coming onboard as a tenant.

MH are not going to move away from AAMI Park.,

Thats news to me.

My recollection was that it was designed as a rugby stadium to seat about 18k, Victory was getting 50k crowds at Etihad, so they increased it to 30k. AFAIR Heart came in later.

South Melbourne has exclusive football rights at the stadium, so you'd have to talk to us.

Ofcourse, but given the stadium is underused in summer, if Heart wanted to I bet it could make a compelling case to the State Government in the event that Sth refused.

People calling it a useless thread, maybe you're right. But if the losses keep accruing I'd hope the club thinks of alternatives rather than turning the lights out.

Ofcourse, but given the stadium is underused in summer, if Heart wanted to I bet it could make a compelling case to the State Government in the event that Sth refused.

I don't think it's up to the government. That's the point of the exclusivity clause in the contract. Whose to say that Heart haven't already explored Lakeside as an option?

Leo Athanasakis has given support for one off A-league games, Perhaps If South Melbourne were to profit from the heart games played at lakeside they might be willing to give up their exlusivity for Heart to play there.

But if there is an exlusivity arangement for South Melbourne FC an agreement would obviously have to be made between the Three parties MHFC, SMFC & the State Sports Centre Trust who opperate the facilities.

Edited by Hammerhead