Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart Fanzine

Stone Island Manc

Alright lads,

As im sure some of you boys have guessed, im a Melbourne Heart ''freshman fan''. However, since my first game last season (Hearts 2-0 Adelaide), i fell in love with the club. The fans chanting is epic and they are also top banana boys. 

As im from MAD-chester, Pommie Kingdom, i used to be a season ticket holder for the most successful premiership team of England....Manchester United.

I will never forget walking down Sir Matt Busby Way, on a Saturday afternoon with a Benson & Hedges in one hand and a can of Stella in the other every homegame, standing at the front of the chip shop with the lads.

We all used to meet there (the stretford enders) and walk down the street feeling our hearts pound and the atmosphere shake as we got closer to the ground.

After going there for many years and chanting the team through thick and thin at at the thertre of dreams, i will never forget old man billy (i think his name was Tony and i have no idea to this day why we called him that) who used to sell the United fanzine.... The Red Issue.

I used to love reading the fanzine programme at home and on the bus on the way to work. From the front page showing our new signing of Juan Sebastian Veron in 2001 for 28.1m  to Roy Keane and the prawn sandwiches quote in Nov 2000 when we played Dynamo Kyiv. The Red Issue was always a good read with loads of different articals, quotes and rumors.

So to cut the story short lads, do any of you boys know if Hearts have a fanzine and if so, where can i get it from....

Cheers

• Like 3

I speak only as a minor contributor. I really enjoyed being a part of it, and had prepared for this season but a decision was taken not to go ahead. Our editor put in a hell of a lot of work. AFAIK we weren't short of contributors, but it is the editing, layout and production that takes the time - even as an e-magazine. Also people had to be there to distribute the magazine on the steps outside the ground - the editor's Dad was one of those! All takes organization. I had also briefly discussed with the editor running the quiz on-line and stuff such as colouring competitions for the kids etc. with prizes etc. but we couldn't really see how to get that going easily and the restrictions on the content of club web-sites just don't help at all.

You have only to think about the number of informal Heart supporter web-sites that have started up and since died to know the effort involved to keep something going.

And can I say it did hurt to see people take a copy, glance through it and then chuck it away underneath their seat...

You have only to think about the number of informal Heart supporter web-sites that have started up and since died to know the effort involved to keep something going.

Exactly, massive effort from those involved which highlights the passion in our small but devoted fanbase. You only have to look at the professional, Australian Football Weekly which was sold at A-League matches nationwide but wound down due to poor sales.

Australian-Football-Weekly-6255544.jpg

Hey lads, thanks for the quick response. Its good to see that there is a passion for the club and some good and bad points noted.

I think the best option at this stage is what ''theresonlyonebzamora'' suggested. Something simple.

i also think support from the club or Harry Kewell's wallet would be ideal, but not sure if that will ever happen.

If they are created and sold at a reasonably price, then i don't see why it wouldn't work lads? Say 50cents? that would attract attention plus, if there is enough sold, then invest that into the next issue. 

What about other teams in the league? Do they create / sell anything similar? 

Maybe i need to wake up, but i feel it would be good laugh to read.....

I am not trying to be a wet blanket here. It is awesome to see someone keen to get the fan made side of things going.

My experience is that the club are not (at least they have not been in the past) willing to contribute anything financially to fan made projects (fanzines, etc). Thats not to say the club will not be willing to help out at all but I would not expect a huge amount of support from them.

If its very cheap and easily accessible it may take off but as JW alluded to, most heart fans tend to be pretty apathetic which can be very disheartening (mind the pun) if you put a lot of time and love into something that is shown very little interest by your fellow fans.

It depends really and obviously different people have different opinions. If you want to do something proper, the workload can sometimes equate to a full time job and become very expensive too. I wouldn't have a problem with some club funding providing they didnt tell me how to run things and and Ando says, what content to add. But I cant see this as an option.

You can of course go completely independent and hope that the sales cover your costs (including time), but this is very unlikely. And if you make something too simple nobody is going to pay any attention to it or take it seriously.

The other option is to completely bankroll the whole thing yourself which I would strongly advise against. 

Print is certainly dead.

Disagree.

On the decline overall, perhaps, but there are still enormous communities that won't allow print to die in any form.

However, the football fanzine culture isn't very strong in Australia, and it is understandable that the zine is no longer active.

• Like 2

Print is certainly dead.

Disagree.

On the decline overall, perhaps, but there are still enormous communities that won't allow print to die in any form.

However, the football fanzine culture isn't very strong in Australia, and it is understandable that the zine is no longer active.

OK, not dead. As in the same way that tribes in the Amazon are not dead

Print is certainly dead.

Disagree.

Did make me laugh.

Print is certainly dead.

Disagree.

Did make me laugh.

Haha, good. I was being a smart arse of course.

But back on topic I think a decent fanzine is something we all want but making it work is the difficult part

IMO you need to sort out what it is that you're trying to do, who your intended audience is and therefore what the best way to communicate with them is, what the relationship with the club is etc. etc. before launching into anything.

As I pointed out earlier, a number of supporter web-sites have come and gone. RWU came and has almost gone? We have the HeartCast still going strong - but how many people actually listen these days? How many of our 6,700 season-ticket holders come on to MHFC Supporters? We have the FRG - but the club saw fit to try to change the "club song" without going through the FRG.

My suggestion is not to try to start something at this particular point in time, already into the season and with the club propping up the league. Before doing anything at least get in touch with the editor of "Schip Happens!" and find out more details of what was involved in producing it. Then take it from there.

Schip happens is not dead.

Luke and robin decided to take a hiatus from it as it was too hard.

Happy to talk to anyone wanting to help, as they need it.

Schip Happens is an entity of RWU and will continue to be for many years once we can sort out the best way to bring it to you all!

HeartCast is growing each year, I don't have solid figures of listeners though, but more and more people contact me about it every season.

This is all stuff RWU would like to develop more, because we all want it as fans!

• Like 1

Schip Happens is an entity of RWU and will continue to be for many years once we can sort out the best way to bring it to you all!

Perhaps when it re-appears it will be "Good Nus."

Perhaps when it re-appears it will be "Good Nus."

BOOM !!

Schipp happened in JA, but Good Nus....can be the first major story hahaha