Melbourne Football

Photography

bazzatron

So often when we mention photography, we immediately think of a single still image and neglect the discipline of cinematography. In order to show more respect to an art form which can be extremely unforgiving, over the next few days I will endeavour to share with you some iconic cinematography too.

First up is a few clips from the groundbreaking 2003 skate video Yeah Right! which was directed by Spike Jonze (the dancing guy in fat boy slim's praise you video). Although by today's standard the effects are a bit dodgy, etc, at the time nothing like this had ever been seen in a skate video before. Subsequently this footage has gone on to influence a generation of film makers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWjG9NEInkI

Thanks for sharing mate. Just out of curiosity, were these done for anything in particular (a school project or something) or just because?

no reason - i don't try for my school photography as my teachers an idiot.

i sort of have a shutter finger, sometimes i just get an urge to create something and so i do, haha. :)

One thing that really annoys me about photography is that no matter how good the work is, it always seems to have some ridiculous name that is supposed to make the series seem more deep and arty or some shit. Anyway. This series with the unfortunate title Visions From the Edge by Finnish photographer Mikko Lagerstedt is quite stunning, but lets its self down with a pretentious name and the cliched ominous figure standing in distance.

ad743bb408f9e433af2f93f9ba41e2eb.jpg

b25062afa76b57091afb2cb75d402f8f.jpg

6ec9c9a90c8f560aaefcb4599b0cfa01.jpg

a84d4a27099f784b2b4598d46eb85efb.jpg

cd8e249eaa052bda7b1b7973aaf3ff4b.jpg

12413f16a87f7fc950515b0aa5b3981d.jpg

Speaking of pretentious, you know how I said I was going to share some more cinematography with you? Well here's some more. A Scene taken from the film Koyaanisqatsi. You will no doubt recognise at least some aspects of this film. It has been referenced in pop culture loads of times in things such as the Simpsons, Grand Theft Auto and Scrubs just to name a few and is regarded of the greatest films to have ever been made.

While I dont mind the music (composed by Phillip Glass) and the film is incredibly well shot (some of the film making techniques used were groundbreaking for its day) actually sitting down and watching his thing from start to finish is a monumental task. It just seems to go on and on and on and about half way through I was yelling at the TV "OK! OK! We get it! Humans are horrible and we fuck up the planet!" The to make things worse I found out there was a 2002 version as well!

If you ever take up film studies and your teacher/lecturer is a massive wanker, by all means pretend this is your favourite film because it will no doubt get you some serious browning points. But if you watch it an legit come up to me afterwards and say "it really changed the way I look at life" I am afraid I will never be able to talk to you again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRmrxYvm7iY

(excuse the poor quality)

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

Waiting in anticipation for your next cinematography post

Well I was going to space things out a bit, but seeing as you like the posts so much, I will give you another.

This clip uses scenes from two different films. The first one is what is described in the title. A dream sequence for part of Hitchcock's film Spellbound (1945) which was created and mostly directed by surrealist artist Salvador Dali (you know- the guy that paints the melting clocks). The second is from a French 16 minute film Un chien andalou (1929) which was directed by Luis Buñuel, and co-written with Dali. The eyeball that is being cut is that of a real calf (dead of course)

Edited by KSK_47

I'm gaining interest in the photography area and I am liking the pictures shared on this thread

finishing my exams next week so my holidays will start soon, since I'll be the newfag for today, I'm just interested to maybe purchase a camera for myself, but more or less, a camera for casual uses. Just if I'm ever going out and I happen to be see something interesting and take a few snaps.

Something that produces decent-ish quality. Not a common digital camera.

I Would perhaps start making my own private album on my brother's Victorian Champions League matches.

Also, what is the term used for, when taking pictures, you select specific colours to be produced and the rest of the environment greyed out / black + white? Or even choosing to take photos only in black+white as seen on the history of Melbourne Heart blog.

Edited by Young Polak

Also, what is the term used for, when taking pictures, you select specific colours to be produced and the rest of the environment greyed out / black + white? Or even choosing to take photos only in black+white as seen on the history of Melbourne Heart blog.

do you mean like the photos i have posted recently in this thread man?

'colour splash'. relatively easy on photoshop.

could do that, but like I have seen my mates dad years ago, looked like he had an Digital SLR, but he was showing its features, and I remember he selected a colour he wanted to be shown on screen when taking pictures.

Eg: selects red, so wherever he goes to take pictures, the camera detects the colours, if not red, the camera greys it out, or if that object is red... stays the colour red.

Edited by Young Polak

could do that, but like I have seen my mates dad years ago, looked like he had an Digital SLR, but he was showing its features, and I remember he selected a colour he wanted to be shown on screen when taking pictures.

Eg: selects red, so wherever he goes to take pictures, the camera detects the colours, if not red, the camera greys it out, or if that object is red... stays the colour red.

oh - yeah mate, selective colour.

D5100 does that. here's a video.

• Like 1

Also, what is the term used for, when taking pictures, you select specific colours to be produced and the rest of the environment greyed out / black + white? Or even choosing to take photos only in black+white

I had a point and shoot digital Cannon back around 2005-06ish that had this function. I think it (the function) was called 'colour pick'. Basically you would set it to this mode, point the camera at something that was the colour you wanted it to highlight (for example a red jumper to make red the highlight colour) and then take the shot. If you ask at teds or something for a camera that does this they should be able to help. Although, it is probably not really necessary because as Maccri has said, its pretty easy to do it in photoshop.

Shooting in black and white is usually referred to as 'greyscale' or simply 'black and white'. I would recommend shooting in colour and converting to black and whit on computer (thats what i do). You can also find cameras that have a setting which shows you the image in black and white on the screen but saves the file in colour. That way you can see if it looks decent in b+w, but still have the option of having the image in colour if you want.

Hope this helps mate

• Like 1

I had a point and shoot digital Cannon back around 2005-06ish that had this function. I think it (the function) was called 'colour pick'. Basically you would set it to this mode, point the camera at something that was the colour you wanted it to highlight (for example a red jumper to make red the highlight colour) and then take the shot. If you ask at teds or something for a camera that does this they should be able to help. Although, it is probably not really necessary because as Maccri has said, its pretty easy to do it in photoshop.

Shooting in black and white is usually referred to as 'greyscale' or simply 'black and white'. I would recommend shooting in colour and converting to black and whit on computer (thats what i do). You can also find cameras that have a setting which shows you the image in black and white on the screen but saves the file in colour. That way you can see if it looks decent in b+w, but still have the option of having the image in colour if you want.

Hope this helps mate

Fair enough, already have photoshop cs5 on my computer, might as well follow thise advice.

Fair enough, already have photoshop cs5 on my computer, might as well follow thise advice.

Thats not to say dont look for a camera that can do this. Its a great function and loads of fun! I just meant that if you cant find one that has this function in your price range dont worry about it too much

Thats not to say dont look for a camera that can do this. Its a great function and loads of fun! I just meant that if you cant find one that has this function in your price range dont worry about it too much

I know, but just saying for myself that I'll save time worrying or looking for a camera that has this spec if I can do it on my pc