Melbourne Football

Photography

bazzatron

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Sony A350 with standard 3.5-5.6/18-70 but recently purchased a Sigma 50-500mm 1:4.5-6.3 Telescopic to do long distance shots. I couldn't be happier with it...heavy as fuck, but can take a pic of a fly on a horse's arse at 500 paces...not to mention great skyline shots from the Eureka Tower. Doing my Cert IV in freelance photography as I post this, hoping to receive my press pass by end of year...anyone looking for budget freelance photographers?? message me with your subject and I'll see what I can do.

• Like 2

Doing my Cert IV in freelance photography as I post this, hoping to receive my press pass by end of year...anyone looking for budget freelance photographers?? message me with your subject and I'll see what I can do.

actually might need you for something. its a friends party. ill send you an inbox...

I have a Sony A350 with standard 3.5-5.6/18-70 but recently purchased a Sigma 50-500mm 1:4.5-6.3 Telescopic to do long distance shots. I couldn't be happier with it...heavy as fuck, but can take a pic of a fly on a horse's arse at 500 paces...not to mention great skyline shots from the Eureka Tower. Doing my Cert IV in freelance photography as I post this, hoping to receive my press pass by end of year...anyone looking for budget freelance photographers?? message me with your subject and I'll see what I can do.

what is the lowest aperture at focal length 120mm?

So which area of freelance photography are you interested in?

• 2 weeks later...

Just about every photographer has had a great idea for an outdoor shoot, only to find its raining! Well to Christophe Jacrot, that is ideal! In fact he waits for shit weather before he starts shooting. I guess some people have enough money to replace their equipment if it gets water damaged. Some pretty amazing work though.

22_cj2009hongkong570smal2_v2.jpg

22_cj2009hongkong599samal2.jpg

32_cj2011chicago091smal_v2.jpg

21_cj2007parispluie487smal2.jpg

37_cj2012tokyo069rsmal.jpg

http://christophejacrot.com/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Today i went to the Collingwood silos. Very interesting place, completely abandoned and some very good graffiti inside. Unfortunately i didn't have a small enough lens to many pictures inside but i was able to take pictures of the views and the outsides of the silos.

The pictures are on my blog if any of you would like to look, http://xaviermadden.tumblr.com/

• Like 2

Cheers, I have a couple grand to throw around. I'd prefer quality of shot more than cost so money hopefully shouldn't be a factor

Edit; a grand or two depending on quality of shots (eg. Afl player running with the ball, or taking a mark)

Anything cheaper would be awesome but I struggled to find anything worth it.

Edited by MrAiDaN66

What bazzatron said. I think the AFL have the same rule as ALeague where maximum focal length allowed in is 150mm so keep that in mind.

Dont worry too much about the differences between Nikon or Canon. Back when I started shooting Canon had better ISO handling but I  think they are much of a muchness now. Better off getting whatever system your mates have (if they have a camera) so you can share lenses.

Thats a fixed focal length of 200mm which is different to the 70-200 which bazzatron recommended, so you basically wont be able to zoom in or out. But if you use a teleconverter you will get a 400mm focal length which will be pretty good for an AFL ground. However you will be losing aperture size with the teleconverter so wont be great for night games.

Thats a fixed focal length of 200mm which is different to the 70-200 which bazzatron recommended, so you basically wont be able to zoom in or out. But if you use a teleconverter you will get a 400mm focal length which will be pretty good for an AFL ground. However you will be losing aperture size with the teleconverter so wont be great for night games.

Won't have to worry about night games! Am a Melbourne supporter.. Early Sunday games for me :/ haha

Didn't realise that one was only 200mm..

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/Canon-Ef-70-200mm-F2-8l-Is-Ii-Usm-Lens-p32313.htm?0=0&utm_source=TopBuy_Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=TBDF-XX82342 this one how ever is 70-200

Why would I have trouble bringing into the ground? AFL policy says it can't be greater than 200mm doesn't it?

So a camera body doesn't really need to be posh or anything? Do you have a number you can throw at me for a camera body for the lens I suggested?

Edit: so so sorry for asking so many questions..

Edited by MrAiDaN66

Aight you're sweet then, dunno where I got 150mm from.

Lenses keep their value really well as they hardly get updated. Whereas dSLR's are a bit like phones these days where people are upgrading every second year for minor updates.

I reckon aim for a Canon 30D, seem to be only going for a couple of hundred on gumtree.

• Like 1