Melbourne Football

The future of Gold Coast United

True Until I die

• 4 months later...

Didnt think this thread would ever be used again...

Top-flight football on the Gold Coast disappeared with the demise of United, but it could return within five years if the FGC have their way

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2012/09/03/3350121/exclusive-gold-coast-eye-a-league-return-through-australian

The Gold Coast could have a new A-League team in five years if an ambitious plan to springboard a Glitter Strip team back into the national competition through the Australian Premier League comes off.

From the ashes of a failed bid to save the ill-fated Gold Coast United, a new push has emerged that hinges on Football Gold Coast's application for a license in the Queensland conference of the new second-tier APL, set to begin in 2013.

Concurrently, FGC is also well advanced in a move to secure a 21-hectare parcel of state-owned land adjacent to Metricon Stadium.

FGC has made an application to the Newman State Government for the land, on which general manager Damien Bresic hopes to build a training centre and a boutique stadium for 8000 people.

I'm all for another GC based team. Got a soft spot for the region.

Yes the supporter culture up there was just farken fantastic, places like Wollongong, Tassie, Auckland, Geelong and even Fremantle all of have claims of their own and strong histories of supporting the sport or sport in general.

Promising sings that the APL will be like what I have called for previously, a second tier where potential expansion teams are given a chance to prove themselves viable before being added to the A-league, much like what happens in the USA. Will help to avoid future GCU/NQF failures.

• Like 1

Promising sings that the APL will be like what I have called for previously, a second tier where potential expansion teams are given a chance to prove themselves viable before being added to the A-league, much like what happens in the USA. Will help to avoid future GCU/NQF failures.

Agreed,

This is pretty much a must have for our league to really stand on its feet, though I'm still not a huge fan of new teams every single time, I understand many of the reasons behind it, and am thankful for Heart being one of them, but still feel there should at least be more opportunity given to "old" clubs to break into the top tier.

Perhaps this will need to wait until the day (when I am old and boney) when all the countries football tiers are integrated into each other?

but still feel there should at least be more opportunity given to "old" clubs to break into the top tier.

Will never happen unfortunately.

1- It would seem that sweeping the past under the carpet is priority #1 at FFA HQ, so they will do everything in their power to make it impossible for historic clubs to thrive

2- If old clubs are allowed back into the top flight again, what was the point of the A-League in the first place?

3- If an efnik club is promoted and eventually performs better than an existing A-League club from the same region, the FFA are going to look like a bunch of idiots

Will never happen unfortunately.

1- It would seem that sweeping the past under the carpet is priority #1 at FFA HQ, so they will do everything in their power to make it impossible for historic clubs to thrive

2- If old clubs are allowed back into the top flight again, what was the point of the A-League in the first place?

3- If an efnik club is promoted and eventually performs better than an existing A-League club from the same region, the FFA are going to look like a bunch of idiots

Most of all Ethnic Clubs would never attract enough supporters to be able to survive in the A League as the mere fact they are Ethnic Club means they have already set a very specific and too small limit on their supporter base.

A limit that the Generic Clubs that they would be competing against will never have:

Meaning the Generic Clubs could always pick up supporters from the Ethnic Club’s tradtional supporter base but never really vice versa.

In saying this supporters of a well known Ethnic Club in Sunshine at this very minute seem to be talking very positively in regards to their own club and these new second tier reforms proposed by the FFA and FFV.

Edited by cadete

Fact is the decision was made 7 or so years ago to exclude the ethnic clubs from the national competition. Not really going to discuss the merits of that etc., but the fact is it is the path that was chosen, and it would make no sense for FFA to change from that policy. There shouldnt be any ethnic teams in the A-League or APL.