Melbourne Football

AFL 2014 Season

toogood18

Misread the fixture roff. We play the Hawks this week and if we win we effectively knock them out of the race. We've then got West Coast at Patterson and Swans in Syd later on. Not to mention tough ones against North, Dons and to a lesser extent St Kilda.

Tough run home, but I'm feeling confident.

Hawthorn are an absolute joy to watch. Haven't seen teams move the ball that well for a while.

Credit to the both Half back lines on Saturday arvo though, especially the pies. Their rebound was second to none just got returned faster and more direct by their direct opposites.

Awesome to watch. Think your punt might be out the window now Hammer.

Hawthorn are an absolute joy to watch. Haven't seen teams move the ball that well for a while.

Credit to the both Half back lines on Saturday arvo though, especially the pies. Their rebound was second to none just got returned faster and more direct by their direct opposites.

Awesome to watch. Think your punt might be out the window now Hammer.

What about the Hoops against the Hawks this year?

Or the three times last year?

The two the year before that?

Or the two in 2009?

Why?

Their supporters are a combination of Scotch Old Boys or Glory Hunting Muzzas from the 80's.

Pls.

Ecstatic after that win, it's great to see us playing great football and for a change winning due to it.

A good result against Essendon should set us up for a good top 4 fight, maybe even a go at the minor if form continues. But knowing what usually happens to us around this time, 4-5 players will get injured and we will bomb into the depths of the bottom 8.

Edited by Attila

Why?

Their supporters are a combination of Scotch Old Boys or Glory Hunting Muzzas from the 80's.

Has nothing to do with their supporters. It's a combination between.

• Their playing list - I genuinely like the way they play as individuals and inside the team
  • Their game style - looks good, works well and I enjoy watching it.

I agree with you on the ruckman statement as i think that this is the one place they really struggle.

although at the current minute roughhead is putting his hand up and its doing a fantastic job.

on the backline i disagree.

yes, 1 on 1 all 6 of there back are defeated comfortably.

BUT, if you really slow down hawthorns game and pay attention to the way they play you'll see that they choke teams to a stage of there defensive press where they have loaded 10-12 players in the defensive 50, leading to teams passing backwards, sideways and then eventually banging the ball forward to what essentially becomes a 2 v1 at every contest. leading to 2v4 and 3v6. This is why hawthorns rebounding footy is so good to watch because they get the ball in the hands of the players who have dropped back (borgouyne, puopollo etc) and just run it out and kick it long out in front of cyril and buddy.

this is why you'll see hawthorn only concede goals on "fast plays" (coast to coast, chain of handballs through the press) and centre clearences.

i know these stats for a FACT as it is what the senior side are trying to implement at my club, and we've watched several vids on how it is done etc.

if you look at how many goals theyve conceded

RD 1 - 16 vs collingwood.

RD 2 - 14 vs geelong

RD 3 - 12 vs adelaide

RD 4 - 5 vs west coast (L)

RD 5 - 16 vs sydney (L)

RD 6 - 13 vs St Kilda

RD 7 - 6 vs melbourne.

hawthorn are only conceding 11 goals on ave a game (which may seem like a lot, but if you put it into perspective thats just a little over 2 a quater which is conceding a goal once every 10mins) and thats already having played agaisnt four of the "big boys" (pies, cats, swans and wce) and one and "up and comer" the crows.

so although they may not have the best "backline" in the competition 1 v1 the stats are pretty conclusive that they are very well structred defensively, and i would love to see the how many of those ave 11 goals a game come from "fast plays" and centre clerances.

where they are ave around 14.6 - 15 goals a game, and id love to see how many of these are from rebounding 50s

EDIT: and even if there defence isnt that great, they are more renund for there scoring, not there defence.

Pulled this out earlier in the year when Hawthorn werent going that great. Everyone laughed when I said they will win the premiership after they lost 2 in a row.

Now they are playing good footy, winning games and it all comes down to the game plan I described here!

If anyone can ceebs doing the stats im 100% sure they will be better now.

Edited by MTP
  • Like 1

Continued on MTP's Goal's conceded per game Stat.

RD 1 - 16 vs collingwood

RD 2 - 14 vs geelong (L)

RD 3 - 12 vs adelaide

RD 5 - 16 vs sydney (L)

RD 6 - 13 vs St Kilda

RD 7 - 6 vs melbourne.

RD 8 - 9 vs Fremantle

RD 9 - 21 vs Richmond (L)

RD 10 - 9 vs North Melb

RD 11 - 9 vs Port Adelaide

RD 12 - 11 vs Brisbane

RD 13 - BYE

RD 14 - 10 vs Carlton

RD 15 - 4 vs GWS

RD 16 - 6 vs Western Bulldogs

RD 17 - 13 vs Collingwood

Hawks Average 10.875 conceded goals a match.

RD 1 - 16 vs collingwood

RD 2 - 14 vs geelong (L)

RD 3 - 12 vs adelaide

RD 5 - 16 vs sydney (L)

RD 6 - 13 vs St Kilda

RD 7 - 6 vs melbourne.

RD 8 - 9 vs Fremantle

RD 10 - 9 vs North Melb

RD 12 - 11 vs Brisbane

RD 13 - BYE

RD 14 - 10 vs Carlton

RD 15 - 4 vs GWS

Wow and it all matters for sweet FA once u start playing finals.

Edited by cadete

As it looks at the moment cadete, atleast they will 100% will be. Same cant be said for Geelong.

Bet is still on - just need to win every game left and give GWS a good old bollocking this weekend. Massive longshot if we plan on continuing how we've been playing lately (excluding the Geelong game).

As it looks at the moment cadete, atleast they will 100% will be. Same cant be said for Geelong.

Bet is still on - just need to win every game left and give GWS a good old bollocking this weekend. Massive longshot if we plan on continuing how we've been playing lately (excluding the Geelong game).

The point is Hammer: In 2009 the media and public all jacked themselves of over the Saints H&A Stats and Facts:

And the end result was a season worth nothing.

Last year despite beating the Pies losing to Geelong early in the season and in the last round the Media and Public did the exact same thing again: And once it again at the end of day it all meant nothing.

Just remember: 2007 PF, 2009 PF, 2011 GF > 2010 GF.

Edited by cadete

RD 1 - 16 vs collingwood

RD 2 - 14 vs geelong (L)

RD 3 - 12 vs adelaide

RD 5 - 16 vs sydney (L)

RD 6 - 13 vs St Kilda

RD 7 - 6 vs melbourne.

RD 8 - 9 vs Fremantle

RD 10 - 9 vs North Melb

RD 12 - 11 vs Brisbane

RD 13 - BYE

RD 14 - 10 vs Carlton

RD 15 - 4 vs GWS

If you could be a champion, could you see what they are scoring (goals) a game.

But yeah, they are conceding, when rounded up 11 goals a game.

which is just over two and half goals a qtr.

Which is a goal conceded once every, 8 or so of actual play, and around a goal every 13 minutes.

would be surprised if that isnt the best record in the league.

Edited by MTP

I'd say it matters more than previous years match ups tbph.

Why???

This makes no sense at all as this Season will be all about the Finals Series as there has not been a more open season since 1997 and it was Adelaide who ended up winning that year from fifth.

All year the Saints, Dogs and Cats turned it on - Only to done over in three heartbreaking finals to those Croweating Scum.

In all seriousness Ruckman become twice as important in PF and GF's compared to the H&A Season, and thats why my money would be on WCE winning the flag.

And Key Forwards (Buddy) lose about 1/3 of their value in PF and GF's as well.

Edited by cadete

As a Carlton supporter....

bad luck tigers... Can't blame umpires (they made bad decisions all over the shop to both teams)...

you guys should have won. Top performance! You have the foundations set, just need to learn to win. 6 games decided by less than 2 goals, and only winning 1 of these games. Big 2013 for Richmond.

As a Carlton supporter....

bad luck tigers... Can't blame umpires (they made bad decisions all over the shop to both teams)...

you guys should have won. Top performance! You have the foundations set, just need to learn to win. 6 games decided by less than 2 goals, and only winning 1 of these games. Big 2013 for Richmond.

Wish I could believe ya mate but we've been thinking the same thing for the last 5 years.

But I agree, shit umpiring both ways- cant blame it.

12 year olds being strangled by grown men, bloody AFL hooligans. There should be a government enquiry into this sport, machete attacks and rapes by the players are now clearly influencing their fans who idolise them, leading them to such hooliganism in the stands. Absolutely disgraceful.

12 year olds being strangled by grown men, bloody AFL hooligans. There should be a government enquiry into this sport, machete attacks and rapes by the players are now clearly influencing their fans who idolise them, leading them to such hooliganism in the stands. Absolutely disgraceful.

Your trolling needs work.

• Like 1

Trolling? You AFL fans have lost all sense of empathy for your fellow men, thinking that one can joke about these matters. Time to stop idolising these axe wielding rapists and regain some normal human emotion.

Chooses AFL side due to Maco Colours:

Becomes Big Bombers Fan.

Jumps of Bandwagon in 2005 when club dont make finals:

Joins YSIDE in 2010 and pretends to have never liked the game.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Chooses AFL side due to Maco Colours:

Becomes Big Bombers Fan.

Jumps of Bandwagon in 2005 when club dont make finals:

Joins YSIDE in 2010 and pretends to have never liked the game.

I stopped following it because I was disgusted at the behaviour of players and fans, its unacceptable and unaustralian. Of course I would try to hide that I used to associate myself with this sport, I think thats understandable given the issues I have highlighted.

I will be writing to my local member of government demanding that federal funding for AFL is cut.

The majority of AFL fans aren't abusive morons, it's just small cases like this guy, who are pretty quickly eradicated and banned.

The players on the other hand are out of control, taking drugs like normal people put their underwear etc. that needs to be fixed.

Plus all sports have crowd problems, not just AFL