Melbourne Football

AFL 2014 Season

toogood18

Well done Scray.

Roos went into the game with the opportunity to absolutely flog the shit out of you guys. But no. Crumbled under the weight of expectation.

false.

we completely outplayed them in every aspect of the game, even a north supporter will admit that.

had nothing to do with any expectation or pressure...

no, but that wasnt because of pressure or expectation.

it was because of the pressure the doggies placed on the ball carrier at all times.

the set ups, match ups and press were 100% right today (got to watch from behind the goals lvl 2)

forced NM to kick long to an outnumbered petrie or mcintosh 7/10 times all day.

worked an absoloute treat.

so I put it down to the way the bulldogs went about it other than NM coming unstuck under pressure.

and tbh i find that a very invalid point because that means everytime a team loses to someone they are "expected" to beat, you're not giving the winning team credit, and putting it all down to the other team doing something wrong. Where it could quite easily (like today) just plain and simply beat the other teams good work.

Where did all these St Kilda fans come from?

Might I remind you, you're still proper shite and won't win another flag for 50 years. Back in yer holes, chaps.

Hi. I've been around for a while. Don't hear much from you unless results go in your favor.

It's gronks like you that make people hate Collingwood. Fair weathered and arrogant. Choke on a dick along with your Carlton mates.

Edited by Woody
  • Like 3

Hi. I've been around for a while. Don't hear much from you unless results go in your favor.

It's gronks like you that make people hate Collingwood. Fair weathered and arrogant. Choke on a dick along with your Carlton mates.

Woody just put that one away for "Sex" Chris Cairns style...

chris-cairns-getty_630.jpg

Inb4 Hammer starts mentioning which Pies players his Dad's best mates with to prove his loyalty... :D

Edited by cadete

I know a lot of you out there would have seen it but I think any Victorian footy fan should have seen the Documentary 'The Year of the Dogs' (1997).

A poignant, no frills and honest documentary about the famous Footscray Football Club.

1989 saw the VFL(soon to be AFL) and its Chairman Ross Oakley attempt to kill us off and the clandestine resolve of Footscray supporters had shone through with 'Save the Dogs' campaign embodying the spirit and determination of the working class west.

A sticker campaign run by a group of knock-about 'Old Scraggers' called the Top Dogs.

20sai35.jpg

The 90's were tough times for the Doggies off-field and the AFL waited with baited breathe for us to slip up financially so they could move the license on.

'The Year of the Dogs' documentary captured the nervous and tense feel of a club who since '89, never new if it WOULD BE ALLOWED to field a team the following season. '97 was one of our more prosperous onfield seasons(reaching a pre-lim and losing to the eventual premiers by 2points. :( ) and the relief that this pseudo success brought off-field was immense.

I cry every time I watch this film. Your Essendons, Carltons, Geelongs, Collingwoods etc can poke fun all they like. They think premierships and money grow on trees. Im so proud of where MY club has come from and where it is and the people that it represents . This doco might give some insight as to why.... or maybe not in which case you can get fucked. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs-v6mN4ILo

Strong, resilient and proud.

FOOTSCRAY FOREVER.

v61yfo.jpg

I was seven when this happened and due to my age at the time don't particularly remember too much about the dire situation our club was in. I do however remember travelling in the old TF cortina as a family (old man, mum, brother and newly born sister) to the western oval on the day of the official 'tin rattle'. I don't remember too much about the day itself other than seeing supporters from a number of teams (notably Hawthorn and Collingwood) out to show their support for Victorian football. The other memory I do have is a rather amusing tale surrounding my brother, who deciding he wanted to sneak into the clubrooms attempted to slide between a locked fence and gate at the player race, only to have his overly large head get stuck between it. It should be noted he was eventually freed by the man they know as Dancing Doug. Rather fitting given his middle name was decided upon because of the great man himself.

Recently I stumbled across a book at work titled 'Too Tough To Die' which detailed the overall plight of the 'scray and their eventual fight-back as a club.

61qq7URYFwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The story of our 1989 revival from the infamous organised merger/takeover with Fitzroy. Written by Alan Dalton and Kerrie Gordon it provides details of the campaign that stopped the emergence of a new team the Fitzroy Bulldogs. Sadly as I mentioned earlier, eight years later we were playing our home games at Carlton, with Fitzroy being replaced with Western.

Many black and white photographs are woven into the 159 pages. Between pages 89 and 116 are some of the letters that were mailed to the club describing their opinions of the issue. On page 146 it is mentioned how Kerrie and Alan came across the same statistic documented in the Centenary History book as described above about Footscray having in 1933 the highest membership in the league at that time.

The last paragraph of ‘Too Tough To Die’ on page 148 is this-

I well remember Terry Wheeler’s words at the Western Oval Rally. “I believe there’s nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children”. It is up to all of us to make sure that the Footscray Football Club is still playing on the Western Oval, proudly representing the western suburbs for many years to come.

Peter Gordon

Footscray Football Club President, 1990

The old fox footy channel also broadcast a doco about this.

Like BH, I'm proud of what the club and it's supporters have overcome and the direction the club is headed in now. It was never easy being a supporter of Footscray, particularly being a north-east suburban lad where every other kid went for Collingwood or Essendon. The much heard 'Your team's shit' grew tired quickly but still I'm thankful I stuck fat when other's would change their team more often than their underpants. Some of the best memories of my childhood are that of standing on the embankment at the cross st end watching the scraggers with the old man and brother. I was there when Hawk broke E.J's games record, I was there for the last AFL game played there against West Coast when Danny Southern roughed up a first gamer in Michael Gardiner in typical 'wet and windy' conditions.

Currently I've attended six loosing prelim finals (the worst in my mind the '97 loss to Adelaide), the same as the old man, who couldn't bring himself to go to '10 prelim against the saints. Just to see them play in a GF is my dream, whatever happens from there is irrelevant. Of course I would want them to win, but it's more so the feeling of being there that I long for. And for my old man, who was born in '54, it would be great to share that moment with him.

Also,I remember the stickers from that time 'Up Yours Oakley', 'Merge Oakley Into Outerspace' etc and I remember reading somewhere that even his son had one proudly displayed on his car at the time.

Edited by Myki
  • Like 4

Rofl, that is what I always remember most about this whole affair...

How I saw on AA or 60 Minutes Oakley's Grammar Boy son with the sticker on the back of his car for a Gag down at the boatsheds. Vividly remember my father yelling at the television "Wanker!".

Edited by cadete

Says the cunt who didn't buy a membership because his team is crap and openly admits it. Shut your trap, hypocrite. One thing to question a man's personality but another to question his loyalty to his footy team - you do both, and it infuriates me. I don't feel the need to justify my love for the Maggies to you - but I do say 'we will get done this week' to fellow Pies supporters. Just because I don't post much crap in this thread doesn't mean I don't feel the losses and I don't celebrate the wins as you did last night, which was the first I've heard from you all season in terms of supporting the Saints.

Wasn't necessarily referring to you in my previous post - but to the fair amount of 'fair weather' St Kilda fans that popped up on my news feed after you guys beat Carlton.

Anyway - interesting game on Friday. Ball is in Collingwood's court really. Strongest team since the GF and Geelong on the (temporary) decline. ;)

How does that make me a hypocrite?

I've held one for many years and have paid for it out of my own pocket. You've never held one at any stage so I fail to see what the fuck your yapping about.

You came on and personally attacked my team and I threw it back on you and you got all stroppy. You fail to understand that shit's in my favour when it comes to this and it doesn't bother me. You wouldn't know the first thing about your club and you ride the wave like every single other gimp.

Have fun standing in the cold getting torn to shreds by a real footy team this week.

Why is it that Hawthorn never have to really do anything for people to be predicting big things for them...

Yeah I'm not understanding this either... Just don't get the feeling they're gonna play a massive part at this stage...

Why is it that Hawthorn never have to really do anything for people to be predicting big things for them...

there list is by far the best in the competition.

when they're on song they're the best in the competition.

and i dont say that easily, in fact i hate hawthorn almost as much as i hate st kilda but they'll be there or thereabouts come late september.

There list is the best in the comp for the past 5 years?

Not even Attila would agrees on this one.

They simply cannot have the best list in the comp when they don’t have a ruckman or a backline.

When they are on song they are best in the comp?

What about when Geelong destroys a five goal Hawks lead every time – is not that a more impressive sight?

NOTE: And I know the Cats are gone but I still don’t think the Hawks will be premiers.

Hawthorn's backline is far too weak at the moment for them to be consistently up there.

They are a team that needs all to be working at 100% for them to go well.

Not saying they won't, or can't, win, but they need to be at their absolute best for it to happen.