Melbourne Football

The Yellow Card Tightrope

jw1739

I think its about right, but I would like some kind of appeal process. Aziz is going to miss this game for an extreamily harsh yellow. I was watching him as it happend, he kicked the ball away during the whistle blow from the referee. Although I accept with every system there are always going to be kinks etc

Nah, it's a good system.

I hate 2 yellows = suspension in the World Cup though, now that's harsh.

I think its that because its a ratio to the amount of potential games played at the cup?

I know, but it's still harsh ahaha. 

3 would be fairer.

I agree that 5 yellows = suspension. BUT I would certainly like that the A-League introduce a match review panel for every game like they do in the AFL. The MRP would look for simulation, behind play fouling and other dangerous incidents that the ref may have missed. This isb't a slight on the referees as they need to keep looking at where the ball is and of course if they have successfully simulated then they have fooled the ref. Penalties can range from awarding yellow cards all the way through to red cards.

I agree that 5 yellows = suspension. BUT I would certainly like that the A-League introduce a match review panel for every game like they do in the AFL. The MRP would look for simulation, behind play fouling and other dangerous incidents that the ref may have missed. This isb't a slight on the referees as they need to keep looking at where the ball is and of course if they have successfully simulated then they have fooled the ref. Penalties can range from awarding yellow cards all the way through to red cards.

They do have an MRP, don't they, but it seems to look only at certain matches? I recall Sibon being retrospectively punished for allegedly stepping on someone's ankle.

They do have an MRP, don't they, but it seems to look only at certain matches? I recall Sibon being retrospectively punished for allegedly stepping on someone's ankle.

Didn't someone (I have forgotten his name) get suspended for doing something to Germano in a derby last season? Or am I imagining things again?

They do have an MRP, don't they, but it seems to look only at certain matches? I recall Sibon being retrospectively punished for allegedly stepping on someone's ankle. Didn't someone (I have forgotten his name) get suspended for doing something to Germano in a derby last season? Or am I imagining things again?

It was Contreras, in the first Derby this season, he got 2 weeks for an elbow/stray on Mate.

They do have some review process where bans can be handed out/increased or red cards rescinded but it's not an indipendent review process.

Edit: Actually I just remembered Milligan got a match ban for punching Germano last season. Scum twats.

I which these were picked up dieting the game, a suspension afterwards doesn't really help us...

Edited by LR9

I'm pretty sure in regards to the MRP, sanctions can only be issued if the incident was behind play and the ref didn't see it. Therefore, if the ref was in view of an incident then even if he made the incorrect decision, a penalty can't be enforced.

That's as far as I'm aware anyway.

They do have an MRP, don't they, but it seems to look only at certain matches? I recall Sibon being retrospectively punished for allegedly stepping on someone's ankle. Didn't someone (I have forgotten his name) get suspended for doing something to Germano in a derby last season? Or am I imagining things again?

It was Contreras, in the first Derby this season, he got 2 weeks for an elbow/stray on Mate.

They do have some review process where bans can be handed out/increased or red cards rescinded but it's not an indipendent review process.

Edit: Actually I just remembered Milligan got a match ban for punching Germano last season. Scum twats.

I which these were picked up dieting the game, a suspension afterwards doesn't really help us...

Yeah, the Milligan one was the particular incident I was talking about. It was in the box as well if I remember correctly, right in front of the Yarraside.

I'm pretty sure in regards to the MRP, sanctions can only be issued if the incident was behind play and the ref didn't see it. Therefore, if the ref was in view of an incident then even if he made the incorrect decision, a penalty can't be enforced.

That's as far as I'm aware anyway.

That is my understanding that if the ref has seen it and deems no incident then that stands. The AFL MRP tend to treat things the same way but the MRP does have the power to sanction a player even if the ump has decided that there was nothing in it. This additional power is used sparingly.

What I don't know what the guidelines are for the MRP as set by the FFA/FIFA.