Melbourne Football

Melbourne Youth Derby II

Buddy Farah

Visitors Youth v Melbourne Youth

Date: Sunday 5 February 2012

Kick-off: 3.00 PM @ Kingston Heath (Soccer Complex)

Address: 301-307 Centre Dandenong Road Cheltenham 3192

Public Transport Guide:

Catch the Frankston line out to Cheltenham Station.

• From there catch the 828 bus - the same bus stop services buses going in opposite directions, so be sure you ask the driver which direction they're going (using DFO or Moorabbin Airport as reference helps). That's the easy part.Getting back is worse, especially on Friday nights.
  • Though the busdoes run late on Friday nights, they finish at about the end of a match, making using them for getting home a risky proposition. Weekends are a little better, but intervals are an hour apart - and buses may go past earlier than what is timetabled.

This should be a bunch of fun...

Edited by Buddy Farah

that ground is such a pain to get to I had to go there 4 times a week when I played for the greens, but I suppose I wont mid it to watch the youth derby seen as ive been to most youth games this season and love the way they play ( at times )

if you go by public transport then yeah maybe, but if you drive its not that much of a pain

The final score was 2-1 to MV. This was a most disappointing result, considering the flow of the game, in which we had the majority of possession but were unable to create any real clear-cut scoring opportunity. Very much like the senior team in fact. The NYL season and the A-League season have mirrored each other almost exactly - good results up until the end of December, and then a complete reversal since then so far. Today MV's scoring opportunities could be counted on the fingers of one hand, yet they seemd to score with ease when they got a shot on target. Heart, despite being down to 10 men, dominated but could not convert. I need to think about it more carefully, but off the top of my head there's a flaw in the method we are using. Our build-up tends to be slow, so by the time we get forward the way ahead is congested with bodies, and hence the number of clear-cut opportunites to shoot for goal is very limited. Conversely, when the opponents get the ball our defence is so far forward that we are very vulnerable to the quick counter-attack.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Honestly think that poor excuse for a footballer Tom Fondlesack will cry himself to sleep tonight. Copped a full 90 minute spray courtesy of Yarraside.

Definitely looking foward to when the Victorian Football footage of the game comes out, will have captured him giving it large to the lads after he scored. What a guy.

I thought we played pretty well considering the pretty rough conditions. Adrian Zahra was everywhere today - I've been one to talk down his immiment return to first team football but after today I feel as if he is taking much larger steps in his recovery. The same can't be said for Kliment Taseski, who is taking a very long time to recovery from a broken leg..

Our youth team isn't as successfull as it should be as all the gun players from it have been promoted to first team duty (Behich, Hamill, Good, Babalj, and most recently Goodwin). Those lads all playing in the Heart NYL would see us defeating even the better sides 10-0.

I've been really impressed with Kristian K, the tall 18 year old lad we recruited from Northcote in the VPL. He is another one I can see cracking the first team. He picked up a heavy knock, and then cramped pretty bad and managed to play through it.

Kamal Ibrahim still looks good coming foward, but he's a terrible defender and left us exposed numerous times today - he is an out and out attacking player, waste of his talent if he is deployed as a wingback.