Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Don't stress Niko deep down every1 is doing back flips!!

Having supported heart since the beginning I'm simply gonna believe it when I see it. (But the fact it's even a possibility is pretty amazing). Imagine the exposure it would bring to the A-league for starters let alone our crowds. 

If someone said 6 months ago that David villa would be playing ten games with us in the red and white strip the reaction on here would be one of complete amazement and excitement, and not the negative bullshit that's being spewed up by some on here at the moment.

Out of likes.  Unfortunately this forum can be glass half empty so often.

There is only one word to describe Villa.  CLASS.

10 games?  YES PLEASE.  Madaschi keeps being thought of very highly on here (rightly so), but the bloke only played 9 games.  10 games with easily the best striker in the league would make a huge difference to our season.  The guy has been a regular in the La Liga champions as of 2 weeks ago, he is still top drawer.

• Like 2

same could be said of Richard Garcia before he came back.  certainly had the talent given his ability to get an EPL contract with Hull.

what a sale out !!

agreed

and for me that is the greatest shame; Heart took the risk and the guy didnt look to show the club some love.  

It was revealed that Bresc and JK were targets a while ago.

I highly doubt it's a matter of not wanting to pay a transfer fee, it seems that both want to be loyal and see out their respective contracts. However, the J.League resumes July (currently on break for the WC) and conveniently wraps up the first week of December, while the HAL will go on recess for most of January with the Asian Cup.

This is speculation, but that creates the perfect scenario to transition from a forward on a 10-game deal (be it Villa or another player) in to Josh Kennedy.

Edited by LR9

You're right JW. Hopefully the 3 new visa players are all handy players.

The comment from the spokesman that " the club had six spots left to fill on its roster for 2014-15" seems wrong to me though, as I count 16 players in Heart's 23-player squad, with Melling not being counted in the 23 as the announcement on his signing spelled out:

Melling will join Melbourne Heart outside of the salary cap as a full-time, base salary contract, one of three additional youth players that A-League clubs are afforded outside of its 23-player squad.

(http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/heart-sign-talented-trio/27fn67eo4mmo19wjalhscqjex)

I don't get why some people are fussed about guest players. Clubs everywhere, from the EPL to La Liga sign players on loan, that is short term deals. Guest players are pretty much the same, and it's not like teams are full of guest players as A-League sides are only allowed 1 each per season (and most don't use it most seasons).

Heart can build an awesome and balanced squad, with talent in all areas, AND sign an incredible guest player like Villa. There's no contradiction there at all.

There's nothing surprising about that Bresciano article at all. It was reported a month ago, when the hunt for an Australian marquee seemed to be in it's early stages, that Heart's target list had shorted to focus on Bresciano and Kennedy (here). Iain Strachan of Goal.com (whilst being a decent journo, doesn't seem to be the most informed about Heart) reported on Wednesday or Thursday that Bresciano had been approached by Melbourne Heart (and that's all Bresc said, that there was an approach from Heart: "Honestly? There has". Nothing more. Not that he was our no. 1 target, or that he is certainly signing as our Australian marquee).

Late yesterday it was reported by Davutovic of the Herald Sun (who was the reporter who reported a month ago that Heart was looking at Bresc and Kennedy) that Kennedy is now Melbourne Heart's no 1 Australian target. That seems to be the more updated and accurate reporting.

The David Villa story is getting a bit more play in the media. Goal.com has reported it here, and British paper TNT has reported it here. Interesting trivia about the British TNT paper: it was founded by British Iraqi businessman Ghadir Razuki, who migrated to Melbourne a few years ago and was 1 of Melbourne Heart's founding owners. 

Craig Foster, in response to an article on Villa possibly joining Heart, tweeted an hour ago: 

Wow, I heard several Barca senior players linked to possible guest stint on same route 

A lot of news coming to the boil at the moment.

• Like 1

http://m.theage.com.au/fifa-world-cup-2014/australia-2014/mark-bresciano-says-he-is-a-marquee-target-for-melbourne-heart-20140530-zrss8.html

Looks like we couldn't land Bresc do we've got Kennedy instead. Happy days.

Now I'm confused

maybe i'm reading way too much into it, i'd say Bresc would look on us pretty favouredly once his deal finishes mid next year (given that he has said he has a year left i am assuming the league he is in runs July-Jun).  given the circumstances that he has been through the last 12 months, who can blame him for seeing the contract out - after his club seems to be supporting him well.

mind you, i'd say that the fact we were very supportive too and with all that we did to Grella (the two have always come across as best buds) then it surely goes down well.  all things being equal, surely that means the minute Bresc finishes in the Middle East then Heart have first option.  

Edited by mattyh001

News on Villa, that broke about an hour ago:

EXCLUSIVE: David Villa in Manchester ahead of New York City move

Mike Keegan

31 May 2014

villa.jpg

David Villa at the Bridgewater Hospital, Manchester

Here is David Villa, taking a medical in Manchester this afternoon before becoming New York City FC's first marquee signing.

The exclusive picture, captured by one of our photographers, shows the Spanish international at the Bridgewater Hospital in Moss Side.

City declined to comment but M.E.N. Sport understands the 32-year-old is here to finalise the terms of his move to the Blues' US franchise, which kicks off in the new MLS season next March.

The swoop for Villa will send shockwaves through the game across the Atlantic and is a clear sign that NYCFC mean business.

He will join from Spanish champions Atletico Madrid after scoring 13 goals last season and will shortly jet out to the World Cup with his country, who are considered one of the favourites.

The ex-Barcelona striker is NOT expected to train with City or be eligible to play for them before the MLS season starts.

Speaking about New York City this month, Manchester City chairman said: "Very soon you will be hearing about our first signing for our club in New York and it will be a very pleasant surprise I hope for our fans.

"This is a very exciting project we have embarked on. We have a wonderful team of individuals over there that is being set up, led by Tim [Pernetti], our CEO. We have a great coach in Jason [Kreis]," he added.

"This will be another story of organic development. This is a club that is in a wonderful city, with a great fanbase. I love how the fans selected our crest. It is a wonderful story and I think it is going to be a great success story. I am very excited about next year."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-transfers-david-villa-7198334

The bold and underlined part is important for us. The main rival theory being reported that would prevent Villa from joining Heart on a 10 game guest player deal was that he'd train with Man City FC in Manchester, and as noted above that apparently won't be happening. So it looks like Villa will be loaned out. There has been a few stray reports that Villa would be loaned back to Atletico, but not many reports (and that might be problematic, as the Atletico season would overlap with the 2015 MLS season. It could also be asked why would Man City loan one of their assets to Atletico?).

Now it looks like the odds of Villa coming to Melbourne have significantly gone up, and it looks like the media are starting to piece the evidence together, with some media outlets, like Empire of Soccer, suggesting that Villa to Heart on a guest player deal will happen.

Even if Villa does not come this year to Heart the fact that he is joining the City franchise bodes well for a guest stint at some point. Him coming this year almost seems too good to be true. I would almost feel embarrassed for the guy playing alongside some of our players... From Atletico Madrid to Heart? Wow now that's about as big a step down in league quality as any top flight player has made when they are still World Cup material for one of the top two national teams in the world. 

• Like 1

Why should we have to be the team that gets the guest player why can't he be loaned to the mls after the season is done. I don't want to be made inferior by a club that hasn't even played a game yet

Because the MLS is a superior league, and NYC is the biggest media market in the world

Edited by MPM

Even if Villa does not come this year to Heart the fact that he is joining the City franchise bodes well for a guest stint at some point. Him coming this year almost seems too good to be true. I would almost feel embarrassed for the guy playing alongside some of our players... From Atletico Madrid to Heart? Wow now that's about as big a step down in league quality as any top flight player has made when they are still World Cup material for one of the top two national teams in the world.

His apperance at the club could bring conflict in the changing room.

You can already see infighting between Hoffman and willo about who is going to do Villa's shoelaces.

• Like 4

was really hoping that Lampard was coming here, but then again at least it shows the new owners are willing to spend the money to bring in the talent.

Spend the money at NYCFC :P

true, but why would they buy Heart to not spend anything on marquee spots when they have elsewhere

Edited by mattyh001

The Daily Mail reporting that Heart tried to sign Lampard, but it didn't eventuate:

New York City is a new Major League Soccer franchise set up with the backing of Manchester City’s owner Sheik Mansour. City also have a sister club in Australia, Melbourne Heart, who initially approached Lampard, though New York is a more attractive option.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2644893/Frank-Lampard-told-no-new-deal-Chelsea-MLS-newcomers-New-York-City-favourites-sign-him.html?ico=sport%5Eheadlines

Maybe that tilts things in Lampard's favour to be the guest player. Or maybe he was just wanted as our international marquee (or maybe the report is wrong).

Going off the reported info so far, I think there's an plausible argument for either of Lampard or Vila to be our guest player next season. Can't wait to see what happens with our guest player!

• Like 1

All news about New York , when is it our turn given that the season starts in 4 months.

Don't panic. Our turn is coming, and we have to keep things in perspective. Don't forget City paid for the NYC licence 10 times what they paid for the licence for Heart. It's perfectly reasonable that they sort NYC first.

All news about New York , when is it our turn given that the season starts in 4 months.

Don't panic. Our turn is coming, and we have to keep things in perspective. Don't forget City paid for the NYC licence 10 times what they paid for the licence for Heart. It's perfectly reasonable that they sort NYC first.

Fully agree. When you pay $100 million for a licence the risk is magnified greatly. It has to get its NYCFC venture right, or else investments like us will really drop off the radar.

If its MLS venture works, we will likely see the benefits flow onto us.

In saying that though, lets hope they can get us back on track over the next couple of months, bringing some level of confidence to our fans and the broader community that we aim to broaden our reach to.

• Like 1

You're seeing big headlines for NYCFC because NYC is the #1 club in the North American region. That's been in the works for some time. Both our current and former CEOs viewed the US as the primary overseas marketing region due to the potential for growth.

Keep in mind that the CFB's Asian region is still in the early stages. We just invested in Yokohama and now are rumoured to be exploring a purchase in Shanghai. The failure in the colour thing might complicate things.

Edited by Manchester City
  • Like 1

^^ I can't see them having an easy time with many existing clubs though. If you buy an existing club, it adds complexity in making changes.

Its NYC licence gave it the luxury of starting from scratch and not alientating existing fans.

I can't see Yokohama, especially with only a 20% stake, changing colours and a Chinese club would be frought with risk, given the troubles football in that country have had.

For us, they may have to bide their time in the HAL to make changes, but I could well see them taking on the current away kit (sash) as the home shirt and a sky blue one for away matches if they can do so as a compromise.

To take on board how I think they may consider its options, the sash is less in your face red and white and will allow for them to possibly even blend in some form of sky blue into the design :)

Edited by Heart_fan

^^ I can't see them having an easy time with many existing clubs though. If you buy an existing club, it adds complexity in making changes.

Its NYC licence gave it the luxury of starting from scratch and not alientating existing fans.

I can't see Yokohama, especially with only a 20% stake, changing colours and a Chinese club would be frought with risk, given the troubles football in that country have had.

For us, they may have to bide their time in the HAL to make changes, but I could well see them taking on the current away kit (sash) as the home shirt and a sky blue one for away matches if they can do so as a compromise.

To take on board how I think they may consider its options, the sash is less in your face red and white and will allow for them to possibly even blend in some form of sky blue into the design :)

Well that (the sash) would be an option if they want to (continue to) grind the morale of existing supporters into the dust.

Edited by Shahanga

Villa confirms via Twitter he's leaving Atletico for NYCFC, stating his move was an "irresistible offer/project", as he says goodbye to Atletico fans: https://twitter.com/Guaje7Villa/statuses/473027817387872257

(as the message was in Spanish I got  the text from these articles: http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/06/01/villa-confirms-new-york-move-waiting-on-lampard/ and https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/liga-new-york-bound-villa-says-goodbye-atletico-102015077--sow.html)

Villa then explained his reasoning for leaving behind Vicente Calderon and switching to MLS.

“I’m excited for the important project that has come to me and my family on a sporting and personal level for the future,” he revealed.

“I’m very excited to embark on another challenge. On a personal level this is what I have done in my career, taking on challenges, and I think this is another very important one for my career and for my life.

“I thank Atletico for every day they have shown me their desire that I stay. I thank Cholo Simeone and the coaching staff, who showed me their desire that I continue.

“So did Enrique Cerezo and Miguel Angel Gil for the club, which made me a new offer.

“But it’s an irresistible project for me and my family. This is football and we have to accept it.”

It's been reported that an official press conference could present/announce the signing of Villa Monday (American time).

Just waiting on confirmation of Lampard's signing with NYCFC now.

Edited by Murfy1