Melbourne Football

The terrace felt like amateur hour at the derby

Bobman

This topic comes up after every derby, and I daresay it's down to a few things -

1) The megaphone is shit, especially for Etihad. Makes it hard to bark instructions at people.

2) Too many derby specials, these lads need to become engaged and understand the terrace culture. I don't care if it's your first game, get in to it and get active. I saw way too many people just standing there only a few rows from the front. Lucky I wasn't too pissed otherwise we may have had another 'last game of the season' episode on our hands.

3) Too many re-hashed UK chants. One or two are fine, but for fucks sake follow your capo. If there's a lull, by all means start something up, and the capo can direct, but doing over the top of the capo is poor form.

At the end of the day, we need to grow up supporter base and our terrace, we really need to step it up this season.

• Like 2

Yeah I about 3 from the back, personally I thought we did alright for the first game back, disappointed no one caught on for the Gerhardt chant.. But oh well. The fact the support was spread out rather than in front of the capo like at aami didn't help, but I thought we created a fair bit of noise to be honest.

Need more variety however, instead of just the same 4 chants over and over

derby day blow in's where rife! all keen for their numbers but they have no idea about the chants or clapping or even following the simple beat of the drum. but next week when we're at home i dare say we'll be even better than friday. IMO we where loud, non stop and for the first game of the season u can't really ask for more.

we're only going to improve.

• Like 1

This topic comes up after every derby, and I daresay it's down to a few things -

1) The megaphone is shit, especially for Etihad. Makes it hard to bark instructions at people.

2) Too many derby specials, these lads need to become engaged and understand the terrace culture. I don't care if it's your first game, get in to it and get active. I saw way too many people just standing there only a few rows from the front. Lucky I wasn't too pissed otherwise we may have had another 'last game of the season' episode on our hands.

3) Too many re-hashed UK chants. One or two are fine, but for fucks sake follow your capo. If there's a lull, by all means start something up, and the capo can direct, but doing over the top of the capo is poor form.

At the end of the day, we need to grow up supporter base and our terrace, we really need to step it up this season.

Too much Euro at the moment - no one knows the correct tune, rhythm & flow of the Euro songs/chants.

• Like 1

See above re: megaphone.

TBH, every megaphone we have used has been the same. This latest one is the only one that has had a higher power output than the others.

So just getting a louder one wont help. If the capo was a few metres on the other side of the fence facing the crowd, then the sound would carry passed more people, but as he has to be in the crowd,with his back the fence all those to his left and right will not hear him.

You wont hear the capo with the megaphone unless the speaker is pointing directly at you.

If the megaphone is "sweeping" across the crowd, no one will catch all the sound, unless they are quite close to the capo.

And most importantly, you need to speak loudly and clearly into the megaphone. Shouting into it muffles the sound.

We had this problem in the rbb last night.. The blokes who were doing it at rhe back.. Got put in their place at halftime and they did shut up with their own chants 2nd half..

Its annoying.. Some people just dont get it..

But in our propectives we have the alot of boys that will marshall the terrace every game.. Making sure this doesnt happen..

Perhaps yarraside.. Moving your capo further up the terrace?

Edited by Bravas

I stood up the back. Held the top corner of the tifo, to be precise. I couldn't hear anything from the capo, so I had to wait for the Terrace to start chanting then I joined in when I understood it. Was hard tho cos so many cunce around me weren't chanting at all. Felt like me and Bozza were the only ones in the top left making noise.

If there are any electrical engineers in Yarraside, would it be possible to get maybe three megas, give two of them to people to hold and one to the capo, when capo says something, comes out of all three megas at different locations, that way everyone can hear?

Edited by Bobman

If there are any electrical engineers in Yarraside, would it be possible to get maybe three megas, give two of them to people to hold and one to the capo, when capo says something, comes out of all three megas at different locations, that way everyone can hear?

its difficult

Edited by macri

no idea why people dont catch on to chants - for example green brigade.

solution for mega:

5x amigo

2x megaphone (harder)

new mega ($$)

if we had the money a drum wired up to a microphone to project it everywhere. would only need to be used at Etihad though TBH - not worth it.

if we had the money a drum wired up to a microphone to project it everywhere. would only need to be used at Etihad though TBH - not worth it.

why a drum wired up to a microphone? could just put microphone or better yet a mega next to it

but what's an amplified drumbeat going to do with enhancing the cooperation/volume in regards to chanting when, taking into account, most chants have words?

the logical solution just seems that for every 1 person that hears the chants jumps in full voice, 2 people jump in, then 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 so on.

Edited by macri

As much as everyone needs to know chants and lyrics I've said this before everyone has to know the beat of the drum. Tbh as much as everyone praised the drumming but don't think even that was at its best ( being harsh but as everything always room for improvement) and tbh again niether was our capo. Capo try not to do too many spontaneous chants when even the core Yarraside will not even know let alone the

"specials" but also I think this is about the lack of new material we have. We learn together!

• Like 2