Melbourne Football

Team changes for next season

Tesla

This comment goes against the last two years of Melbourne Heart and its philosophy...

I can't find anything in the club's stated values that endorses a particular playing formation or even style...http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/aboutus

I endorse Cadete's views (you're not alone mate)...there's nothing wrong with our stated vision and values etc. (in fact they are very worthy ones and are what attracted many of us to Heart in the first place), but the whole point of playing in the A-League is to win the bloody thing rather than wallow in the bottom half of the table whilst being some sort of 'nursery' for other clubs here and overseas...and so far we haven't won enough games and if we want to do that we have to change something...because more of the same is likely to produce, well, just more of the same...

• Like 1

I would like to see Babalj play as a number 10, similar to what Sibon did in our first season. When he has dropped into the AM area he has looked dangerous (and selfish, but this is a maturity thing) and he has the abilty to create and beat players. You could then play Williams as an out and out striker and hopefully the two would develop a lethal partnership.

I can't find anything in the club's stated values that endorses a particular playing formation or even style...http://www.footballa...neheart/aboutus

I endorse Cadete's views (you're not alone mate)...there's nothing wrong with our stated vision and values etc. (in fact they are very worthy ones and are what attracted many of us to Heart in the first place), but the whole point of playing in the A-League is to win the bloody thing rather than wallow in the bottom half of the table whilst being some sort of 'nursery' for other clubs here and overseas...and so far we haven't won enough games and if we want to do that we have to change something...because more of the same is likely to produce, well, just more of the same...

You win by playing well as an effective team irrespective of style. This is what was happening when we won 5 games in a row, that's the potential with the players on our current list. The problem is not the players in our first 11, it's about having the team work more effectively as a unit and about our second 11: the quality drops off so when we have injuries or absences our performance drops markedly.

I can't find anything in the club's stated values that endorses a particular playing formation or even style...http://www.footballa...neheart/aboutus

There is a balance that is needed. The club has gone for the longer term vision which I endorse. That system will eventually produce a first team full of seasoned professionals, they just need to learn their trade with us having some poor seasons as they do it.. As long as we improve every year early on then I am very happy with the clubs focus.

The club does need to improve its scouting of Overseas players to help balance out the team's experience in the early years, but the youth focus will reap rewards in the years to come. And that is a big deal in a comp that is salary capped.

A further point from my previous comment: we didn't lose potential, we just failed to reach it consistently, that's the benefit of good coaching - a cohesive organising philosophy around which the squad can reliably unite around to form a working group. A working group is actually a technical term in group theory. Heart this season has been a dependent group.

A further point from my previous comment: we didn't lose potential, we just failed to reach it consistently, that's the benefit of good coaching - a cohesive organising philosophy around which the squad can reliably unite around to form a working group. A working group is actually a technical term in group theory. Heart this season has been a dependent group.

So, BG, would you like to go further? Presumably the players who were in conflict with JvS (e.g. Colosimo and Heffernan) were those who wished to be more independent of him? Pretty clear to me why JvS has been a youth coach all along, except for two short stints with Twente and Heart, because he is more comfortable working with a dependent group.

I would like to see Babalj play as a number 10, similar to what Sibon did in our first season. When he has dropped into the AM area he has looked dangerous (and selfish, but this is a maturity thing) and he has the abilty to create and beat players. You could then play Williams as an out and out striker and hopefully the two would develop a lethal partnership.

would enjoy that a lot.

Babalj also looked dangerous when he played a bit wider than usual (ie. against the Roar away).

we just need Williams to come along a bit more, next year his slate should be wiped clean, with a new manager/new players and a new season, will hopefully instill some optimism/confidence into his game.

So, BG, would you like to go further? Presumably the players who were in conflict with JvS (e.g. Colosimo and Heffernan) were those who wished to be more independent of him? Pretty clear to me why JvS has been a youth coach all along, except for two short stints with Twente and Heart, because he is more comfortable working with a dependent group.

you'll see from that link that dependant groups react in a number of characteristic ways, one of them is to look for a new leader. The big change in the group process happens when they stop looking for a saviour - JVS, Fred, Colosimo etc and accept responsibility as a group. One of the dangers of having a 'father figure' like JVS is that the group slips into that dependant position. I think that whilst JVS has been aware of that he hasn't been able to stop it. Our 'blue friends' have their version of the same dynamic, however it's more malignant as they have forces from within the group (the dark lord and Kewell) who has undermined both of their leaders this season. Long may it continue there but we need to move on.

I'm not implying that there are no leaders, CCM and Roar are good examples of working groups with strong leaders but also where the group of players accepts responsibility. Brendan Hamill has identified the same issue here.

Edited by belaguttman

Yes definitely we need to keep Good, right now I rate Hamill more TBH, but Good is only 19 and a solid defender already. Long career in store for both of them considering defenders usually play at the highest level till fairly old ages.

Honestly, I will probably cop shit for this, but I wouldnt be too bothered if Hamill and Good were our first XI central defensive pairing next season. Though I would prefer a really high quality older defender to be signed (eg Madaschi, though thats not happening), and Colosimo to leave.

I'd be happy to have those two starting next season as well, agree Hamill does look the slightly more advanced but Good is well on pace with him.

WANT LIST

Baically the same as everyone bar the CB really.

1. I'd like to see Behich move to the wing and have us chase a strong experienced leader type left back. This gets more time into the two young blokes but still offers some leadership down back as without Bolton it's lacking although Hamill's voice will only get louder next year im sure.

2. Another creative mid for obvious reasons.

3. An energetic goalscoring front man also for obvious reasons.. Not so much sold on Angelos, record doesn't speak volumes and isn't currently bagging goals in a division that suggests he probably should.

(of course we couldnt get him but) a player like Craig Bellamy perhaps?

He'd be only good for 3 goals a game but I want 4.

But seriously it's a hell of a task for a club with a budget of bird seed like ours to find a week in week out type. Can only live in hope!

Bit more decent service from the mids never goes astray though and maybe with someone that can produce killer balls along with Fred a charisteas type could potentially kick around 15. Who knows but a list of soon to be out of contract journeyman would be good reading.

He'd be only good for 3 goals a game but I want 4.

But seriously it's a hell of a task for a club with a budget of bird seed like ours to find a week in week out type. Can only live in hope!

Bit more decent service from the mids never goes astray though and maybe with someone that can produce killer balls along with Fred a charisteas type could potentially kick around 15. Who knows but a list of soon to be out of contract journeyman would be good reading.

yeah. hahahaha...

If Behich and Marrone put 10% more decent balls in then what they do now, we would create a lot more chances = more goals.

Phlipo Inzaghi any one?

(one day :wub: )