Melbourne Football

Matt Ryan's Spurs Trial.

M-H-F-C

Havn't seen any post about it, nor do i think im posting in the right section, but Matt Ryan has been given a trial at Tottenham for a week.

Now I personally don't think he will be signed by them but if he is it's a great move for him, the national team and the a-league. Even if he doesn't sign his potential is being seen, thoughts?

Really don't rate Ryan as much as a lot of people seem to, but if he learns anything from this though, will be very good for him going forward, and is more good marketing for the A-League if they are impressed. But my gutt says they wont be hugely impressed.

However, I have had similar thoughts on Curtis Good and look how that's turned out...

However, I have had similar thoughts on Curtis Good and look how that's turned out...

Is it it just me, or is Good not really EPL standard? I know Good would most likely be loaned out to a League 1/League 2 team but his not an EPL player, same goes with Ryan for mine. Best GK in the a-league but right now his not EPL standard however i do see potential in him to become our next schwarzer.

Is it it just me, or is Good not really EPL standard? I know Good would most likely be loaned out to a League 1/League 2 team but his not an EPL player, same goes with Ryan for mine. Best GK in the a-league but right now his not EPL standard however i do see potential in him to become our next schwarzer.

dead set i want to kill myself after reading this post

no shit he isn't EPL standard right now but the potential is clearly there which is why they would sign him FFS

dead set i want to kill myself after reading this post

no shit he isn't EPL standard right now but the potential is clearly there which is why they would sign him FFS

Forgot to add Good potenitally* becoming, i did for Ryan not for Good, so relax dickhead...

I don't see Good potentially becoming an EPL player, but I do see Ryan eventually becoming one just not in the near future...

Gotta relax mate just a forum :D

its not really retarded mate, just because i didn't convey my message clearly doesnt make it retarded so keep quiet mate :)

Back to topic now, Matt Ryan, will one day make EPL i think, but not any time soon, spurs wont take him or if they do loan him for a while and he will end up leaving, just my opinion.

Let me explain why this is a bad move:

He wont be 1st or 2nd choice keeper.

So he will be playing in the reserves at best (looks like he would be 4th choice at best so probably wont even be starting in the reserves).

The EPL reserves league is worse than the A-League (what do I base this on? Look at countries with B teams, on average they would be at best at the level of the 3rd division in that country, then factor in that in countries with B teams the B team is going to be closer to the first team's level than in countrys with reserves, so the Reserves league is probably around League Two standard and if you look at players that are loaned out this looks about right on average, I think we can say the A-League is likely to be better than that).

He is the best keeper in the A-League, so why move to a worse league where he probably wont even be playing?

Sure, there would be better training (apparently), but games are more important.

Langarak's move was a good one as he went to a big club, with proven youth development, who give youth a chance, where he is 2nd choice. Fantastic type of move to make, Ryan should be looking at similar, or at least just to be a number 2 somewhere, even if its at a second class European league eg Holland/Portugal/etc.

Edited by Tesla

Do people actually believe this? I really don't see it.

He is no doubt the best keeper in the league, and only 20 aswell, who would you have infront of ryan as best keeper?

He saved the mariners so many times, against us at AAMI Park comes to mind......

Let me explain why this is a bad move:

He wont be 1st or 2nd choice keeper.

So he will be playing in the reserves at best (looks like he would be 4th choice at best so probably wont even be starting in the reserves).

The EPL reserves league is worse than the A-League (what do I base this on? Look at countries with B teams, on average they would be at best at the level of the 3rd division in that country, then factor in that in countries with B teams the B team is going to be closer to the first team's level than in countrys with reserves, so the Reserves league is probably around League Two standard and if you look at players that are loaned out this looks about right on average, I think we can say the A-League is likely to be better than that).

He is the best keeper in the A-League, so why move to a worse league where he probably wont even be playing?

Sure, there would be better training (apparently), but games are more important.

Langarak's move was a good one as he went to a big club, with proven youth development, who give youth a chance, where he is 2nd choice. Fantastic type of move to make, Ryan should be looking at similar, or at least just to be a number 2 somewhere, even if its at a second class European league eg Holland/Portugal/etc.

not sure EXACTLY on the Spurs GK situation but

- Gomes was meant to leave last season was he not? so unless AVB wants him, he'll probably go before the season starts if not, by next season he'll be goneskis

- Cudicini is close to retiring

- Friedel is also close to retiring

while all 3 keepers are better than Ryan atm, if he is signed, by next season he could be 2nd choice. as all 3 of the above could be off and you'd think they'd sign a more experienced GK for 1st choice

even if he plays reserve football for next season, at least he is in England getting used to the football/lifestyle etc. could even do an Amini and be loaned back to CCM (don't think it will happen) to give them a season to find a replacement as Pasfield isn't good enough for 1st choice

Do people actually believe this? I really don't see it.

who is the best GK in the league then?

He is no doubt the best keeper in the league, and only 20 aswell, who would you have infront of ryan as best keeper?

He saved the mariners so many times, against us at AAMI Park comes to mind......

That game was not his work that saved them, it was our consistent shooting straight at him, If you get a chance to watch the game again, just look at how at least 70-80% of our shots on target went straight to him... Everyone was going on about it but he really just did what he was supposed to do.

I am sure he will improve, as you say he is only 20, but currently he is not the best in the A-League, I'd put Bolton and Covic ahead of him, and possibly even Theo.

• 3 months later...

Looks like he's off to Hull City in January. Brilliant move for all involved. Hull currently sitting 4th in the Championship with Ben Amos on loan from Man Utd as thier current number 1.

If Ryan can consolidate himself as number 1 and continue his improvement he should move up the pecking order to be the long term successor to Schwarzer so long as Langerak continues to warm the pine at Dortmund.

Galekovic is the best keeper in the a league.

Ryan is still solid and has the potential to be a great keeper.

I wonder how much CCM would be getting for him seeing as his contract expires at the end of the season.

Edited by Hammerhead