Melbourne Football

Building towards Season 3 - What's working & what's not?

FB.

More seeds and/or nuts to be consumed.

Banning people from home end if they dont consume seeds and/or nuts.

Setting up some sort of wholesale purchasing of seeds and/or nuts to lower costs.

Moving to new pub due to the imperial's anti seed & nut mentality.

Seed & nut crew fence banner.

Thats all for now.

• Like 1

• Chant situation is a big issue. We simply don't have enough, and some of the best chants we pionered in the first season ie. Melbourne's Red & White, Melbourne Tifosi, JCGE etc. have been taken by our rivals here and interstate and flogged to death by them. We need more songs & people singing them. The more unique the better.

Creative heads need to get together and hash out another 5-10 proper tunes to add to our repertoire for regular Yarraside lads to establish throughout pre season and eventually bring in to play on the terraces in S3. I genuinely think we've got enough good stuff in the chant forum to start adding them. This really isn't my sort of thing though as I prefer to sing the bastards, not make them!

• Speed of chanting another issue. People singing far too fast which results in chants/songs being over-used during the match because we go through most of our singing for the match. Alot of this falls on the drummer - it is their job to pace the chants, not to beat to the speed of the terrace. Fixing the drumheads will hopefully rectify some of these problems.

This will slowly improve with time. Argie and Ando are a fantastic team when they both are together.

• Away Days - how can we improve the numbers? To be fucking honest, our home-end showings have been pretty poor. I know we arn't the largest club, but our invasions have been probably some of the weakest in the league.There isn't a strong enough culture of travelling amongst our home-end from outside the usuual suspects. Need to find ways to develop this.

Buses (will never happen again I know, but maybe down the track), massive promotion prior to trips, word of mouth, promotion on FB pages/twitter/through the club. As the terraces grows in number, and continues to, our away trip attendances will get bigger. Adelaide was a strong turnout, and Sydney wasn't too shabby - but we can only really go upwards from here. Would like it if the terrace picked 2-3 trips every year that are COMPULSORY trips, promote the fuck out of them and hand people all the details for the cheapest flights and accomodation. I have a feeling Sydney and Adelaide next year will be in large number.

• The Gimp. I think most would agree the Perth final was a fanstatic turnout. Pity half these kents don't come week in/week out. Need to find a way to get more of these ppl coming back for the other Away matches.

Fucking kicked all youth out at the final, was pathetic. Allowed 5 y/os in but not us.

I like the IMP, it is convieniently located, a good march and has a lot of good watering holes for youth nearby. I understand the older heads aren't too favoured towards it though.

Also - regular posts on the FB page to let people know where we'll be and when could help.

Onwards and upwards, chaps.

We've come so far already.

:wub:

Edited by marteaux

Also - regular posts on the FB page to let people know where we'll be and when could help.

Dunno how much more of this you can do. It's already posted on FB everyday in the lead-up to games and events. People will only turn up when they feel like it.

People should know when and where to meet by now, if they are willing to willing to get more involved they need to make more of an effort.

As for gameday, people don't respond well to being yelled at, although by now they should know the expectations. We will hopefully see most of the stragglers that stand in the middle of the active area moving elsewhere next season. The Roster Kop works well, we just need more time to build some better communication between the front and back.

I think I have a good idea for AS next season:

We must get the Club to highlight in bold the expectations in the terrace.

Now, most fans who are keen on active support obviously want to stand in 17 as you can usually see bays 16 and 18 quite empty as people cram into 17. I know for the Derby they games they gave us an extra 4 rows, I would like to push for an extra 8 rows for the whole of the season. This potentially allows for quality over quantity.

Then we get the club to make bay 16 and 18 general, which will allow for more density on either side of the active bay. This will give the home end more of an edge at those critical moments in a match. They will be able to join in every now and then, and over the course of the season they will learn new chants, etc. Prospective active supporters will also be able to get a taste by sitting/standing in bay 16, 18...

Over the next few season this will grow and maybe then we ken think of expanding across.

• Like 1

I think he was talking about the Yarraside (Home End Page) rather than the general Supporters Page.

And I am glad to inform ppl that this page in Season Three will start containing a lot more information, discussion, and pictures relevant to Active Support.

In fact this process has already began:

http://www.facebook.com/yside12

Edited by cadete

I feel that in regards to Away Day attendances and pub attendances, a lot of Yarraside's members are largely under age, but nearing 18, so they don't put in as much effort to get to these things. So over the time expect, both of these things to improve rapidly. Most of the lads I go with will be 18 by season start and are all keen in getting involved with the above, something we couldn't really do so before.

Speed of chanting is just an Aussie culture thing really, with persistence and encouragement of the right culture, I believe we can get it right, which I noticed started to happen a bit more towards the end of the season.

• Like 4

Getting SM to call off ACG when we rip PYROS.

The fact that I know you are dead serious and not a troll makes this one of the funniest posts I've ever seen on a MHFC forum.

I cannot contain my laughter, and hold back the froth that has erupted from my mouth.

Personally I think the kind of support coming out of the Terrace should be more reflective of the people within the Terrace.

Currently feel that certain Continental aspects of support take a too prominent role.

In effect I am talking about the Capo Role and Flags.

I am no means saying that such things need to be eliminated.

I just don’t think that there large part in proceedings is that reflective of the people in Yarraside End.

Yarraside has changed a lot since things started of in Season One for the Terrace has become a lot more Western/Casual in look.

Personally I would like the Western look of Terrace to be more emulated in the Support given at Home Games.

To Illustrate my point for those who have been on Away Trips, you will notice that at these times the Support given towards team during these games is notably more Western. I believe this happens as this is when the Supporters reflect more who they are more as indivduals when at the game.

I am going to make two suggestions:

1.) The first would be for the Capo to allow for more chanting to come from the back, perhaps for the Capo to lead one chant and then for him to ask key lads in the Rooster Kop to start another more Western Chants - so both styles get a look in.

Alongside this I think chants should not go for so long and stopped by the Capo, personally I prefer it where we can get some fun out the game and chant about what’s actually happening on the field. Doing the same chant over and over a few weeks in a row IMO just ruins that particular chant for the future.

2.) Finally the Flag situation is Dire, we either have a lot of flags or we have none of a specific small amount.

Personally I think the best look would be to have two of three well made proper flags and limit it too late so the look was polished and simple.

Communication between the front and the back is terrible. Half the stuff that comes from the back dies off way too quickly, perhaps as people don't see it coming from the capo at the front? I dunno. I like the combined nature of how the terrace was working towards the end of the season.

Long chants are fine if spontaneous. If they're forced then they die down anyway. I'm not going to stop people having fun and singing - think back to that GCU match. The back of the terrace supports the front quite well, as it should be.

Anyway, there's always room for improvement :) .

Away days are different I think and until we get bigger numbers traveling what happens away should not really reflect what happens at home.

Flags? I don't care either way.

We just need more numbers being engaged. The term 'active support' is a tag that needs revision as it categorizes a small number, and excludes a larger number. This is more for the club/FFA to think about though perhaps.

Personally I think the kind of support coming out of the Terrace should be more reflective of the people within the Terrace.

Currently feel that certain Continental aspects of support take a too prominent role.

I just don’t think that there large part in proceedings is that reflective of the people in Yarraside End.

Yarraside has changed a lot since things started of in Season One for the Terrace has become a lot more Western/Casual in look.

Personally I would like the Western look of Terrace to be more emulated in the Support given at Home Games.

To Illustrate my point for those who have been on Away Trips, you will notice that at these times the Support given towards team during these games is notably more Western. I believe this happens as this is when the Supporters reflect more who they are more as indivduals when at the game.

I am going to make two suggestions:

1.) The first would be for the Capo to allow for more chanting to come from the back, perhaps for the Capo to lead one chant and then for him to ask key lads in the Rooster Kop to start another more Western Chants - so both styles get a look in.

Alongside this I think chants should not go for so long and stopped by the Capo, personally I prefer it where we can get some fun out the game and chant about what’s actually happening on the field. Doing the same chant over and over a few weeks in a row IMO just ruins that particular chant for the future.

2.) Finally the Flag situation is Dire, we either have a lot of flags or we have none of a specific small amount.

Personally I think the best look would be to have two of three well made proper flags and limit it too late so the look was polished and simple.

10/10 post. Agree with all.Our flags are grossly poor. 1 sided printed ones, tiny basic striped ones, just really poor. I think we overhaul the flags with about 10-15 new ones (original designs and patterns), or not bother with them next year. I also think $ is the biggest factor involved in this.

or not bother with them next year.

[sarcasm] Yeh. That will look great [/sarcasm]

Flags look great when looking at our end from the TV or the other seats in the Park. I'll be searching for a cheap flag maker (asian based) from now till October.

There is a common misconception in the terrace that we are mainly made up of "anglos" rather than "ethnics". This is not true, its just that the main group of guys involved are mainly "anglo", outside of that its pretty much all more "ethnic" types.

So trying to kill off the continental style just because you and your mates are of the more "anglo" persuasion is not really fair.

This is not a thread of Gifs, it is meant to be one for proper discussion.

The gif accurately reflected my reaction to what you said and is therefore relevant. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say, and a gif contains many individual pictures.

There is a common misconception in the terrace that we are mainly made up of "anglos" rather than "ethnics". This is not true, its just that the main group of guys involved are mainly "anglo", outside of that its pretty much all more "ethnic" types.

That's a load of shit but carry on. There is a healthy showing of both at every juncture of terrace life.

I dont think we should change 'style' on a whim either FWIW.

That's a load of shit but carry on. There is a healthy showing of both at every juncture of terrace life.

Dont see how its a load of shit. I know other people in the terrace have noticed this as well. Its like a 90%-10% ratio of anglo-ethnics in the main group, whereas overall its probably closer to 50%-50%.

Anyway, my point is there is no need to change the current balance. Its fine how it is. The capo is there for a reason and does a good job, and should continue doing the same job without his influence being decreased.

Edited by Tesla

So trying to kill off the continental style just because you and your mates are of the more "anglo" persuasion is not really fair.

So even if the majority of those who do the hard work behind the scenes want western the support, things should not be reflective of this?

Instead we must be reflective of the apparent silent ethnic masses our Terrace contains but nobody can see.

Why do u think NT became a continental Terrace?

May have had just a little to do with the vast majority of BWB being Italian.

Sorry, may I ask, what is our style?

Because for me, I'd describe it as a 'mess'. We are all over the place, and after 2 years I am yet to see any concistancy on the terrace.

I'm not trying to start a shit storm but id say Many people really don't know where the terrace stands on some key issues.

Flags or no flags?

Set up from the back, middle or front?

Pyro or no pyro?

Imp, Riser or new pub?

More banners or minimal?

Printed tifo, hand painted or none?

Spontaneous chanting or planed and sustained chants?

Casual or Merch?

• Like 3

Can we please not turn this into to an Ethnic debate. It's unnecessary and diverts the discussion away from it's purpose.

Its an important part of the debate, why dont you look at cadete's first post about it ITT, even though its not explicitly stated its implied. Plus he has explicitly stated it before when discussing this matter.

I am happy with a mixed style that caters to everyone, I'm not trying to eliminate the more western style, but I certainly dont want the more continental style being eliminated neither. As far as I remember, a mixed style was always our intention and how we have always been.

Tbh there is too many in fighting in the terrace on match days. Too many Kent's trying to tell people what to do. Then some Kent's try an fight others etc. why does this happen? And how can it stop.

Flags or no flags?

Set up from the back, middle or front?

Pyro or no pyro?

Imp, Riser or new pub?

More banners or minimal?

Printed tifo, hand painted or none?

Spontaneous chanting or planed and sustained chants?

Casual or Merch?

In bold are the obvious choices, but are they all that realistic?

We're never going to have a terrace with the best flags in the world,

We've test ran every possible location of drums/mega,

Pyro's never going to be able to stop, whether we like it or not,

All pubs are fucking shit thats why you should drink in Alleyways with Youth,

If we could fill up the whole YS end in Red/White banners both Yarraside and MHFC related, it'd be awesome - won't happen though.

I'd love to have a handpainted, high quality, expensive and well executed tifo every week - not going to happen.

I'd love to see the terrace rock up in Adidas trainers and Burberry scarfs every week - not going to happen.

I've seen the terrace from the beginning - 15 guys at the Everton game trying to do 3 chants for 90 mins.

How it has grown. And continues to do so, I don't exactly think we need to instantaneously go out and try to change everything up, from our mentality to other things as quickly as we can before next season, because I still reckon the terrace continually progresses each week, gradually getting better and better. Let things go on as they are. Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

That's not saying the terrace can't improve though. This has been highlighted earlier on in the thread.

• Like 6

Tbh there is too many in fighting in the terrace on match days. Too many Kent's trying to tell people what to do. Then some Kent's try an fight others etc. why does this happen? And how can it stop.

Those who know that they dont have any Authority should stop trying to exert it over others @ Home and Away games.

[sarcasm] Yeh. That will look great [/sarcasm]

Flags look great when looking at our end from the TV or the other seats in the Park. I'll be searching for a cheap flag maker (asian based) from now till October.

Problem is, we don't have enough people willing to wave flags.

What looks good is also very subjective. What you think looks good mightn't be what I think looks good or what the rest of tribune thinks.

Regardless, If you can be bothered searching for producers and getting flags made and finding enough people to wave them at matches then you have my full support.

Who said anything about changing 'style' on a whim?

The season doesn't start for 6 months. This thread was started early specifically with that in mind so that we have enough time to work through improvements for next season.

Our style has changed considerably from between season 1 and season 2. It's a natural progression and I think cadete raises some fair points.

Its an important part of the debate, why dont you look at cadete's first post about it ITT, even though its not explicitly stated its implied. Plus he has explicitly stated it before when discussing this matter.

I am happy with a mixed style that caters to everyone, I'm not trying to eliminate the more western style, but I certainly dont want the more continental style being eliminated neither. As far as I remember, a mixed style was always our intention and how we have always been.

Problem is we're not a mix though. Not even an even mix. It's more like 90% from the front and 10% from the back.

Edited by FB.

Problem is we're not a mix though. Not even an even mix. It's more like 90% from the front and 10% from the back.

Whats 90% from front and 10% from back? Chanting? Well doesnt this more "western style" involve less chanting than the "continental style", so that makes sense. Chanting isnt the only aspect anyway. Overall there is a pretty good mix.

I've seen the terrace from the beginning - 15 guys at the Everton game trying to do 3 chants for 90 mins.

How it has grown. And continues to do so, I don't exactly think we need to instantaneously go out and try to change everything up, from our mentality to other things as quickly as we can before next season, because I still reckon the terrace continually progresses each week, gradually getting better and better. Let things go on as they are. Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

That's not saying the terrace can't improve though. This has been highlighted earlier on in the thread.

Well said young chap. ;)

Sorry, may I ask, what is our style?

Because for me, I'd describe it as a 'mess'. We are all over the place, and after 2 years I am yet to see any concistancy on the terrace.

I'm not trying to start a shit storm but id say Many people really don't know where the terrace stands on some key issues.

Flags or no flags? I agree with you on this.

Set up from the back, middle or front? Trying different things is fruitful.

Pyro or no pyro? we're not going to rat people out nor would be publicly condone it's use. Thought this one to be fairly obvious tbh.

Imp, Riser or new pub? I can't see why people would be confused by this? We were at the Imp for the duration of last season.

More banners or minimal? Do we need an ironclad rule on this?

Printed tifo, hand painted or none? Both.

Spontaneous chanting or planed and sustained chants? A synergy.

Casual or Merch? Up the individual.

I wouldnt say we were a 'mess' at all. I'd say we were a terrace who has got consistently better as time goes on.