Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart Youth Team - Squad Thread

Buddy Farah

However I am disappointed Brodie Patterson is not there, surprises me because I know he went to some overseas trials but he also then played in the game down at Langwarrin.

Also I really think the A League should do something about creating a stronger link from the NYL to the A League, I think it’s great these kid are training with the seniors but the reality is that once the season is over they can sign a contract with any A League club of their choice.

IMO I reckon if a NYL player gets offered a Senior Contract at another A League club – And his current NYL club can match this senior contract offer the NYL Club should therefore have claims over him having spent the money and time developing him.

Agree. Strange about Patterson. Unless he has the same deal as Stefan Mauk.

I think I read somewhere that if another club offers an NYL player a senior contract the player's existing club has a fortnight to make a counter-offer. That's the only restriction that I know of. The only other thing a club can do is what we have done with Mauk - but to do that you have to be very sure that the player is going to be worthy of a senior place in the following season.

Agree. Strange about Patterson. Unless he has the same deal as Stefan Mauk.

I think I read somewhere that if another club offers an NYL player a senior contract the player's existing club has a fortnight to make a counter-offer. That's the only restriction that I know of. The only other thing a club can do is what we have done with Mauk - but to do that you have to be very sure that the player is going to be worthy of a senior place in the following season.

If a contract of equal value is offered, there should be a rule to make the player stay with the club who gave him a go for one year.

There is simply way too much of a division between the two systems, and a lack of a logical and direct pathway really takes away the incentive for an A-League Club to go all out and spend a lot of money on its Youth when the players they are developing are hardly locked in assets.

The system is really nothing at all like a Youth Setup in Europe where these kids are seen as genuine long term assets of the club.

IMO it really is a hell of a lot more similar to how in Geelong u have a TAC Cup team in the Falcons who despite being very similar to the AFL club dont have the Geelong Cats pouring resources into them because the reality is these local boys can be picked up by any club in the National Draft.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today's Squad in West Sydney:

Bray (GK), Abbott, Andrijasevic, Batsis, Groenwald (Captain), Kaya, Mitchinson, Mullett, Petreski, Retre, Jeremy Walker Bench: Cartanos, Epifano, Maynard (GK) Zac Walker.

Anyone know why Zac Walker wouldn't start?

Today's Squad in West Sydney:

Bray (GK), Abbott, Andrijasevic, Batsis, Groenwald (Captain), Kaya, Mitchinson, Mullett, Petreski, Retre, Jeremy Walker Bench: Cartanos, Epifano, Maynard (GK) Zac Walker.

Anyone know why Zac Walker wouldn't start?

Never really started last year either.

• Like 1

Wonder why we don't find this on the club website yet...

http://www.thebackpost.net/

Our 14-man youth squad for 2012-13 is: Will ABBOTT, Stipo ANDRIJASEVIC, Evan BATSIS, Alastair BRAY, Nicholas EPIFANO, Josh GROENEWALD, Ersin KAYA, Stefan MAUK, Andrew MULLETT, Sam MITCHINSON, Phil PETRESKI, Paulo RETRE, Jeremy WALKER,Zac WALKER

Just to update this.

Looks like we've added two more players. Andrew CARTANOS, and Chris MAYNARD (GK).

First home game is next Saturday 27th October at John Cain, vs. CCM, kick-off at 3.00 p.m.

Admission free for Heart members showing this season's membership card.

Where is Chris Maynard from? His name sounds familiar.

I believe he was at one stage playing with one of the South Melbourne teams. Also played for Western Suburbs. In the previous pre-season he looked the goods in a practice match we played at Port Melbourne. JD was very keen on him at the time, so I was surprised we didn't sign him then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where is Chris Maynard from? His name sounds familiar.

I believe he was at one stage playing with one of the South Melbourne teams. Also played for Western Suburbs. In the previous pre-season he looked the goods in a practice match we played at Port Melbourne. JD was very keen on him at the time, so I was surprised we didn't sign him then.

Current Malvern City keeper

I have been really impressed with the way the NYL boys have played for the seniors when given the chance. This is true this season and last.

The winning ways of the youth is either they are better than their opponents or has something to do with their coach.

Looking at the NYL line-up against CCM Redmayne, Walker, Mitchinson, Gray, and Vrankovic are all contenders for senior spots and it sounds as if Mauk and Groenwald are close. Germano needs no introduction.

Hopefully the club will use these boys or at least use them to put a rocket up the firsts who look lost.

Here is the link to todays match reports.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Groenewald-brace-sparks-Heart/55697

http://www.footballa...feated-30/55698

Edited by Peter

I would be more entertained by watching the youth team, than our current senior team with a few exceptions.

Redmayne, Walker, Mitchinson, Vrankovic could all be added straight away to the senior side comfortably. I hear Redmayne had a brilliant game yesterday. Is he being punished for one poor performance against Perth in the pre season? Walker and Mitchinson were both outstanding when playing in the senior squad and Vrankovic is a super talent.

We need to lock these guys away and give them playing time. Behich in a more advanced role, maybe even Marrone too.and you could have Walker and Micthinson in the senior side.

Mauk intrigues me, haven't seen him but reports are he may be the most talented in our youth set up. Again would add some spark to our squad. Even off the bench.

We need to get back to what we stood for. Promoting Australia's brightest talent, playing passing football, and building this culture. Right now, a lot of senior players are playing poorly and our youth are doing everything to push their case. It should be rewarded. Right at this point, Fred, Thompson, Hoffman should be dropped to find form at this level. Colosimo also.

Our season has been very boring. Time for a shake up. We should be rewarding good performances.

• Like 2

We need to get back to what we stood for. Promoting Australia's brightest talent, playing passing football, and building this culture.

The number one issue that lies behind almost everything that has been discussed on here of late. People were drawn to Heart for this very reason. Abandon your principles, and people will abandon you, just as they do in other walks of life.

We need to get back to what we stood for. Promoting Australia's brightest talent, playing passing football, and building this culture.

The number one issue that lies behind almost everything that has been discussed on here of late. People were drawn to Heart for this very reason. Abandon your principles, and people will abandon you, just as they do in other walks of life.

Couldn't agree more.

Many big clubs across the world adapt the philosophies we set out on. It was effectively what brought me and many others to the club.

We have gone well away from this despite being promised it never would be. We have the talent in our youth team, who have beaten heavily senior based youth team sides and beat them well. We used to stand for something. We no longer stand for anything and it is why people our questioning our existence in the league.

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more.

Many big clubs across the world adapt the philosophies we set out on. It was effectively what brought me and many others to the club.

We have gone well away from this despite being promised it never would be. We have the talent in our youth team, who have beaten heavily senior based youth team sides and beat them well. We used to stand for something. We no longer stand for anything and it is why people our questioning our existence in the league.

Honestly, I don't know how much we can save from this season anymore. I'd prefer if we started bringing in our youth team players week and week out for rest of the season. I mean that would show the entire league and community that we are serious about our youth squad. To be honest, next season we could even make a team that could challenge #1 with a very young team. We could make a partnership with the AIS. We could easily sell : Bolton, Colosimo, Fred, Thompson, Hoffman, Kalmar, Williams and Grey. Redmayne or a new goalie to replace Bolton. Give Vrancovic Colosimo's spot and bring an experienced CB to help him out. LB and RB we have 4 young good players,and 2 of them can even play in midfield. A midfield of Gerhardt, Garcia, Mauk, Mate, Garrucio would be amazing, not forgetting Germano, Beich and Marrone who can all play in the middle as well. With Tadic upfront. Now that would be a team.

We can easily have the best youth squad and senior squad in the A-League.

Couldn't agree more.

Honestly, I don't know how much we can save from this season anymore. I'd prefer if we started bringing in our youth team players week and week out for rest of the season. I mean that would show the entire league and community that we are serious about our youth squad. To be honest, next season we could even make a team that could challenge #1 with a very young team. We could make a partnership with the AIS. We could easily sell : Bolton, Colosimo, Fred, Thompson, Hoffman, Kalmar, Williams and Grey. Redmayne or a new goalie to replace Bolton. Give Vrancovic Colosimo's spot and bring an experienced CB to help him out. LB and RB we have 4 young good players,and 2 of them can even play in midfield. A midfield of Gerhardt, Garcia, Mauk, Mate, Garrucio would be amazing, not forgetting Germano, Beich and Marrone who can all play in the middle as well. With Tadic upfront. Now that would be a team.

Sounds good to me.

Couldn't agree more.

Sounds good to me.

Now if we only ran the club eh?

I see that Zac walker has signed with Dandenong Thunder for the 2013 VPL season. I don't know if that means that the senior team have no interest in him

I see that Zac walker has signed with Dandenong Thunder for the 2013 VPL season. I don't know if that means that the senior team have no interest in him

I think by next season he's too old for the NYL. Suspect that he will not go through into the senior squad.

TBH I think a lot of the "Start Zac Walker" ppl on this forum actually have not seen Zac play as despite the obvious positives there are also some as obvious negatives about his game:

First of despite his great knack for poaching goals his straight out not creative enough in his passing as a number 10 even for NYL Level let alone A League Level.

Then he has yet to really show he prove himself as Number 10 at the start of NYL games (When older defenders tend to be on the field) or at VPL Level.

He has also shown that a lot of his best attributes are simply not abled to be displayed when he is played in an attacking wing position.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Our youth talent goes seriously far. J Walker and Mitchinson have already played senior football. Then you have Mauk, Groenewald, Epifano and Batsis who all have great futures ahead. Abbott is a solid young defender and Retre has showed signs, with Z Walker on about the same level. All have the potential to play senior football if they apply themselves.