Melbourne Football

Australian and Global Coverage

mattyh001

does anyone else get shitty about the lack of coverage, both domestically and abroad?

by all means, i'm glad Fox do what they do for the A League and that pay tv allows you to see the likes of the British, Spanish and US games.  throw Setanta into the mix and you get Italian, Dutch and German amongst a couple others.

free to air wise its great that we get at least something with a Friday night A League, a good 30 Champions League and some El Classicos.

but.........

i get shitty that the likes of SBS dont do more to push other leagues. 

i find it bemusing that for a channel that claims to be the home of football, they do not

(a.) pick up the W League (at least the ABC does)

(b.) the Youth League

(c.) some decent European leagues via Setanta, etc.

(d.) some decent South American leagues via Setanta, etc., or

(e.) some Japanese / Korean / Chinese games (of which the live coverage would actually suit give time zones - aka a 7 pm late game kickoff for Japanese / Korean / Chinese games is a 9 pm / 10 pm kick off here)

i would think that if the game is to grow here, greater coverage is required.  people need to see it.

if the EPL is too expensive, then why not look at other comps?

if we actually play some of the better Japanese / Korean / Chinese teams as part of the ACL, surely then wouldnt the coverage of their comps would push the borders a bit and help get greater acceptance of the ACL?

i would just think that this might be a better option free to air wise to get some of the "lesser, more inexpensive" leagues for growing the game here without degrading the ability of the A League to develop strong broadcasting rights

Edited by mattyh001