Melbourne Football

Keep em or cut em

MHFC-FAN

Our club seems to be missing real leadership on and off the field. Who deserves to be kept on and who should be cut loose?

Obviously Aloisi is at the top of the list... 

I would keep: Redders - Walker - Vranks - Kisnorbo - Murdocca - Migs - Mauk - Williams - Mebrahtu

I would cut: the rest of the starting 11

I agree with keeping those 9 players you've listed, there are more in the squad I'd keep though.

I'd definitely add Aziz there too even though he's on loan.

We haven't seen the best from Kisnorbo yet but I feel he'll come good when the team hits the ground running(a win).
Mauk has developed really well since last season and if he can continue that development he can break into THIS seasons 11 at some point.

There is one player in particular I would clearly cut.
I've been terribly disappointed with Wielaert!...

I was expecting him to show real experience and lead the play for us from the back this season, but he's been craphouse. No exaggeration at all. 

I'd cut Wielaert and play Vrankovic in the first 11 again.
Vranks isn't as aggressive but he's got speed and sharp passes over Wielaert any day.

I am in total agreement to play our youth players more often, but it has to be earned. Not sure if any of you guys suggesting these guys play actually go and watch them in the nyl?? Vrankovic is a more than capable player, but last home game looked extremely sloppy. Retre the same thing, didn't look anywhere near first team football. If these guys want to play in the first team they have to be striving to play to the best of their ability to be recognised they are on that next level. I can understand why they haven't been played in the first team more often. I haven't seen dugandzic goals but he scored 2 this weekend. That's the type of mark a player should be making if they want to belong to the top flight side.

I agree with keeping those 9 players you've listed, there are more in the squad I'd keep though.

We haven't seen the best from Kisnorbo yet but I feel he'll come good when the team hits the ground running(a win).

Mauk has developed really well since last season and if he can continue that development he can break into THIS seasons 11 at some point.

I was expecting him to show real experience and lead the play for us from the back this season, but he's been craphouse. No exaggeration at all. 

Vranks isn't as aggressive but he's got speed and sharp passes over Wielaert any day.

Unfortunately for him his poor defending cost us that goal against wsw. That of course was after the midfield had failed in closing down wsw players ie. migliorini.

Unfortunately for him his poor defending cost us that goal against wsw. That of course was after the midfield had failed in closing down wsw players ie. migliorini.

Oh yeah true that.

Migliorini really should have had Mooy covered in that area by that point - Mooy was getting a lot of chances in that space before he struck that goal.

Another thing that annoyed me in the first half vs WSW was that Wielaert unnecessarily tackled Haliti from behind in the box without making any contact on the ball... Had the ref been paying more attention we'd have conceded yet another penalty this season.

Wielaert did the exact same thing earlier in the season at AAMI park v Sydney FC right in front of where I was sitting.

Its good when players are aggressive, especially defenders, but it aint so great when they are clumsy, lol!

JA put him in the leadership group so quick as stand-in captain which was silly - it makes it tougher for him to cut him now.

I am in total agreement to play our youth players more often, but it has to be earned. Not sure if any of you guys suggesting these guys play actually go and watch them in the nyl?? Vrankovic is a more than capable player, but last home game looked extremely sloppy. Retre the same thing, didn't look anywhere near first team football. If these guys want to play in the first team they have to be striving to play to the best of their ability to be recognised they are on that next level. I can understand why they haven't been played in the first team more often. I haven't seen dugandzic goals but he scored 2 this weekend. That's the type of mark a player should be making if they want to belong to the top flight side.

Your right, the youth players still need to earn their places in the side.

I haven't watched Vranks in the NYL this season, I'll have to check out some footage of the team.

Retre definitely looked off the park when he played in the first team earlier.

It seems our NYL side aren't as strong as we'd hope whilst Victory are looking very strong but its still early days.

I'll watch how Wielaert goes in our next few games before I sledge him again - I hope he proves me wrong!

I was expecting him to show real experience and lead the play for us from the back this season, but he's been craphouse. No exaggeration at all.

Vranks isn't as aggressive but he's got speed and sharp passes over Wielaert any day.

Oh yeah true that.

Migliorini really should have had Mooy covered in that area by that point - Mooy was getting a lot of chances in that space before he struck that goal.

Another thing that annoyed me in the first half vs WSW was that Wielaert unnecessarily tackled Haliti from behind in the box without making any contact on the ball... Had the ref been paying more attention we'd have conceded yet another penalty this season.

Wielaert did the exact same thing earlier in the season at AAMI park v Sydney FC right in front of where I was sitting.

Its good when players are aggressive, especially defenders, but it aint so great when they are clumsy, lol!

JA put him in the leadership group so quick as stand-in captain which was silly - it makes it tougher for him to cut him now.

If JA played him as the sweeper and PK as the stopper we wouldnt have this issue. JA has no idea.

• Like 1

Oh yeah true that.

Mooy scored from the same area that Taggart scored 3, still no successful organisation from the coach to stop this happening.

I checked out wsw goal again and it actually started even further up the pitch with David Williams caught day dreaming not pressuring the player in front and giving way too much space and time. Had he pressured like he should wsw would have most likely gone with a back pass or at worst to the side. At the time this is happenning Migliorini signals with his hand while retreating for someone to pick up mooy who is just in behind him. Then totally forgets about him and let's him get away. While mooy is creating space and migliorini is realising he better start to get back to cover him murdocca, instead of closing down the attacking player he retreats and gives him time. By this time it's too late for migliorini to get back and close down mooy. At this stage our attackers and midfielders have already failed to close down players and defend as a team. So the responsibility comes down to our defenders. While mooy has the ball Kisnorbo protects the area where a through ball might be played. Wielaert should now close down mooy but instead goes to cover the possible through ball. Kisnorbo sees this and attempts to close down the shot. Not once throughout that play did anyone attempt to close down the player with the ball. And this started from the half way line!

This is not an individual error but a collective error of the whole team. During training JA should be setting up scenarios like this, stopping them throughout and telling them "when player x goes here, you have to be here." Its a common fault that is happenning all over the pitch. It is something that has been happenning all season and hasn't been fixed. And this particular responsibility rests with the coach.