Melbourne Football

An Open Letter to Melbourne Heart

GabiBoyd

Thanks honey, you'll never please everyone with a 'club song' but it seemed as if we were onto pleasing the majority of people with So Happy Together.

Pray that if it does go, there's a worthy alternative and it's not being changed for the sake of it. I am fearful of having another club selected tune regurgitated out of the fan engagement department and forced down our throats.

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  ;)  ;)  ;) I CANT SEE ME LOVING NOBODY BUT YOU :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

• Like 1

Thanks honey, you'll never please everyone with a 'club song' but it seemed as if we were onto pleasing the majority of people with So Happy Together.

Pray that if it does go, there's a worthy alternative and it's not being changed for the sake of it. I am fearful of having another club selected tune regurgitated out of the fan engagement department and forced down our throats.

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  ;)  ;)  ;) I CANT SEE ME LOVING NOBODY BUT YOU :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Thanks for the feedback, 'bud', but I'm not your 'honey'.

It's true we won't ever please everyone, but SHT is a feel-good song that the majority seem to enjoy. The foundations of any tradition start from something that was no doubt viewed sceptically by some. We have to give it a chance to grow.

Anyway, just my opinion.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, 'bud', but I'm not your 'honey'.

My opinion is that you are my honey

I beg to differ boy

• Like 5

I like so happy together, but if i were to pick a song from scratch it would be lean on me by bill withers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPoTGyWT0Cg

I think this song epitomises everything that active support and yarraside is about. So happy together shows how much we love the club, and of course we express that through standing and chanting for 90 minutes game in and game out, but isn't there more to it? I believe that we are there to inspire the team, they may be down a man due to a red card, we sing and make it look like we are the ones with an extra man. They may be down by 3-0. We chant like we are going to win 3-4. We are there to inspire heart, be that 12th man and help the team get over the line. Even looking at some of the lyrics of the song:

'lean on me, when your not strong'

'If there's a load you can't bear, call me'

'call on me brother when you need a hand'

These lyrics show how we are there to help the team, lean on us when your down. We will inspire you. Compared to so happy together which is more about love (a line of the lyrics talks about 'the girl you love') yarraside is different to any other normal support, we just don't love the club, we want to help and inspire them to a victory. We are the shining light when everything seems bleak. I believe lean on me represents yarraside and there purpose better. 

Another thing which i like about lean on me is that it is a slower paced song. I can imagine now before the game all the yarraside lads and lasses locking arms together, with a beer in the other hand and singing it. One of the major problems i have seen in yarraside is that we generally sing chants too quickly, this song would set a good tone for how we will chant for the rest of the match. So happy together always seem's rushed IMO while I think this song would make people focus and slow down.

If so happy together was ever going to be changed, it would have to be lean on me.

Great song but its too slow.

The criteria is that the players want to like it/be involved too so they want something upbeat to get them going before a match.

I think a slow song sang well would have twice the effect of a quicker song. Obviously you can't compare it directly with liverpools YNWA, but the tones are very similar. Rather than some techno song,a slow song with some deeper meaning in the lyrics i reckon would be more effective :up:

The criteria is that the players want to like it/be involved too so they want something upbeat to get them going before a match.

I think a slow song sang well would have twice the effect of a quicker song. Obviously you can't compare it directly with liverpools YNWA, but the tones are very similar. Rather than some techno song,a slow song with some deeper meaning in the lyrics i reckon would be more effective :up:

I like the part where you completely disregarded my post because it didn't support your opinion and the simply posted your opinion again in different words. :up:

• Like 1

I like the part where you completely disregarded my post because it didn't support your opinion and the simply posted your opinion again in different words. :up:

I didn't mean to come across disregarding your opinion, and i respect what you say, but i don't see how the speed of a song matters, as long as it's sang well, it will inspire the team. Who chose so happy together in the first place, was it a decision reached by members of the core in yarraside?

I didn't mean to come across disregarding your opinion, and i respect what you say, but i don't see how the speed of a song matters, as long as it's sang well, it will inspire the team. Who chose so happy together in the first place, was it a decision reached by members of the core in yarraside?

The difference was, my post didn't contain my opinion. Just the facts of the situation.

I thought it was pretty funny at the later Etihad derby last year when they played Stand by Me over the PA and nobody sang it.

Anyway, I love So Happy Together, and it is one of those things where we are trying to build a culture around the club. Heart Hq can't just change these things whenever they feel like it, especially when we worked so hard to get Sht played pre-game in the first place. The only criticism I have is that it goes on for too long, the first time it played it was perfect, when I watched the game again it sounded great when the volume went down and all you could hear was Yarraside still singing it.

• Like 1

FWIW victory used lean on me and may still do pre-game... it's shit and no one sings along.

Nah they use stand by me which is a shit song, outside of those three words the rest of the song has jack shit to do with what active supporting is about. It may be a poor choice for a football song but if u think a classic like Stand By Me is a shit song u don't deserve to listen to music.