Melbourne Football

Matt Simon

MrAiDaN66

Perhaps its just a case of having too many places to fill. We have removed a lot of players from the squad, and have plenty on our plate trying to find the right players to fill those gaps. Hoffman potentially fills one of those gaps, just in case.

In reality we released just four players - Bolton, Colosimo, Thompson and Fred. We've since sold Babalj, and Tadic appears to have left of his own accord. The other releases were mid- or late-season signings, not 'full' members of the squad.

We need a second keeper. Bray seems to have done fairly well last season, and won the NYL coach's award. Why not sign him on a senior contract?

Reading TA's report on the Representative Group it seems as though the Board are looking closely at the Football Department's performance. Re-signing players like Hoffman won't give the Board much confidence.

Regardless, we have 6 or possibly 7 players that we have to secure to have a full squad. Hoffman is not up to HAL standard, I would not want him staying on, however my opinion above may be why he is being included in the team. And to be honest it is the only reasoning that comes to mind.

Edited by n i k o

This thread is about Matt Simon, it doesn't have to become a whinging thread like every other thread on this board moaning about a lack or direction or ambition. Haven't heard any rumours about him going anywhere just yet, I wonder if he's still hoping to pick up a spot in Asia?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/former-central-coast-striker-matt-simon-on-melbourne-hearts-radar/story-fndmchp2-1226627351652

Simon would be the perfect target man for the way we play which is often just get it forward and hope, the guy will compete for every ball and is strong enough to hold it up and bring others into the game.

If we manage to pick him up it would allow us to look for a genuine quality foreign left winger to complement Gol-Gol on the right, and allow Williams to be used as an impact player late in games. Mate should be given the responsibility of being our #10, as he looked the goods when used there when Fred was injured.

Although not everyone's ideal striker, Simon would do a job similar to Kresinger but with a guarantee of a few more goals and that can't be a bad thing.

Edited by mus-28

Simon would be the perfect target man for the way we play which is often just get it forward and hope, the guy will compete for every ball and is strong enough to hold it up and bring others into the game.

If we manage to pick him up it would allow us to look for a genuine quality foreign left winger to complement Gol-Gol on the right, and allow Williams to be used as an impact player late in games. Mate should be given the responsibility of being our #10, as he looked the goods when used there when Fred was injured.

Although not everyone's ideal striker, Simon would do a job similar to Kresinger but with a guarantee of a few more goals and that can't be a bad thing.

Even West Sydney fans want Kresinger to go.

The combative centre forward style is that of a bygone area-all of two seasons ago to be precise.  

I'm really not sure about Matt Simon. He did well in the A-League two seasons ago, but I'm not sure he'd be so effective now. Also, he played in one of the best coached and most balanced teams in the league, so Simon was always going to score a decent amount of goals.

I also think he's a really poor player technically. He was only given 6 appearances in the K-League, which is a very technical league. This is despite the fact that the K-League club that signed him had him contracted for 3 years. So despite paying a fair bit for Simon and having him contracted for a while to the club, they still didn't want to play the player they saw week in and week out.

I think if we had Matt Simon this season, he would have been pretty much the perfect striker for us. But I really want us to move away from that type of direct football. So I would much rather have us sign a proven European striker, and sign some other players that can help us actually keep the ball, and then actually provide quality service to whatever striker we get.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...