Melbourne Football

Do we want to share this record with the defunct NQF?

TheGaffer

With the latest departure of Aziz and apparent lack of urgency by the club to recruit any replacements for him, Marrone, Good, Hamill, the injured Duganzic, Fred, Colosimo and the retired Grella got me thinking about whether the club is actually "shutting up shop " for season 2012-13. Counting their cash and paying off some debts....

Checking the results we have NOT won a game outside Victoria since we beat Sydney FC (0-4) on December 29, 2012. That is well over 12 months now and counting...

Now the other interesting statistic is that there has only been one other team in A-league history not to win a game away from their home state. That was North Queensland Fury in the 2010-11 season. Their only away win was against Gold Coast United in QLD.

Looking at our remaining away games for this season, and our current form/confidence outside Victoria, could we easily also share that record? Present form would say yes...

Rnd 21 v Jets

Rnd 23 v Phoenix

Rnd 26 v Roar

Rnd 27 v Mariners

silly topic imo,

It is points and overall position which counts, last time i checked there wasnt an away ladder,

We are 6th and and that has been while throwing points away left right and centre, yes we sell players this is soccer and the A-league is a 3rd to 4th rate league.

Teams in Ligue 1, Eredivisie and even Spain, England and Italy sell there BEST players. This is what we are and one thing we can say is that MHFC is good at it, we have developed 3 Socceroos and 2 more promising players in Good and Hamill who most likely will get capped at some point.

People need to take the good and the bad and understand where we are and what it takes to make money in this game, we can play finals and when we play well we can beat MOST teams on anyday. relax

• Like 2

Good OP, I think if we cant win away games now, there is no point to playing finals...where we have to play away games...

must fix this! had opportunities to win both WSW & SFC games recently. didnt capitalize. could cost us a finals win in future, potentially.

• Like 1

silly topic imo,

It is points and overall position which counts, last time i checked there wasnt an away ladder,

We are 6th and and that has been while throwing points away left right and centre, yes we sell players this is soccer and the A-league is a 3rd to 4th rate league.

Teams in Ligue 1, Eredivisie and even Spain, England and Italy sell there BEST players. This is what we are and one thing we can say is that MHFC is good at it, we have developed 3 Socceroos and 2 more promising players in Good and Hamill who most likely will get capped at some point.

People need to take the good and the bad and understand where we are and what it takes to make money in this game, we can play finals and when we play well we can beat MOST teams on anyday. relax

Mate I understand and appreciate your position but I pay over $1000 per season for two memberships.... I love the club and have been involved since day 1 HOWEVER I am not a sucker either....there needs to be a blend of youth and experience for a successful team. Selling your best players and not replacing even one of them for a "like for like" is going to eventually turn the fans away, especially if the results are against you too. Winning games consistantly will only save the club from going down the path of NQF and GCU, not selling your best players and replacing them with the youth team top ups. This season has proved it...how many members have failed to re-sign from last year? Even where I sit the members from two years ago are no longer there, even members from last year...each week the empty seats increase around me...the fans sign up for one season and rightly or wrongly they then disappear never to be seen again....

This season is gone...the club better have some big names planned for 2013-14 season else they won't be seeing my membership money again I am afraid....I will support and go when I can but I won't be buying a membership.

We can also develop Socceroos until the cows come home....it will do nothing apart from us talking about it and saying what a good club we are.

Edited by TheGaffer
  • Like 1

Mate I understand and appreciate your position but I pay over $1000 per season for two memberships....

Stopped reading here.

Sick of reading/hearing from you cunts, who pay a couple more bucks for your season tickets, thinking your opinions and views carry any more weight than the average punter. Step down off that pedestal and take that stick out your ass...

• Like 3

silly topic imo,

It's not totally silly, apart from it limiting us to a battle for 5th or 6th at best, it also means a brief cameo finals appearance with an away final as a likely option

• Like 1

I wouldn't count 4th spot being out of reach either - Adelaide aren't exactly flying high at the moment! From 2nd to 4th within a week and losing their coach...it must have a negative impact on the players' morale!

At least they have players, but I agree finals are not out of reach...

silly topic imo,

It's not totally silly, apart from it limiting us to a battle for 5th or 6th at best, it also means a brief cameo finals appearance with an away final as a likely option

I think it was silly comparing is to be a team ready to "shut up shop" fold ect

Mate I understand and appreciate your position but I pay over $1000 per season for two memberships....

Stopped reading here.

Sick of reading/hearing from you cunts, who pay a couple more bucks for your season tickets, thinking your opinions and views carry any more weight than the average punter. Step down off that pedestal and take that stick out your ass...

In fairness, I don't think that's what he was trying to say. I think it's more about questioning why people would fork out that much for a seasons ticket if the club doesn't appear serious about competing for, or winning the league. If the club's goals are to just make finals, produce and sell young players, and break even, is it worth paying that much money to watch them play? I think that's the point he's trying to make.

• Like 4

silly topic imo,

Mate I understand and appreciate your position but I pay over $1000 per season for two memberships.... I love the club and have been involved since day 1 HOWEVER I am not a sucker either....there needs to be a blend of youth and experience for a successful team. Selling your best players and not replacing even one of them for a "like for like" is going to eventually turn the fans away, especially if the results are against you too. Winning games consistantly will only save the club from going down the path of NQF and GCU, not selling your best players and replacing them with the youth team top ups. This season has proved it...how many members have failed to re-sign from last year? Even where I sit the members from two years ago are no longer there, even members from last year...each week the empty seats increase around me...the fans sign up for one season and rightly or wrongly they then disappear never to be seen again....

This season is gone...the club better have some big names planned for 2013-14 season else they won't be seeing my membership money again I am afraid....I will support and go when I can but I won't be buying a membership.

We can also develop Socceroos until the cows come home....it will do nothing apart from us talking about it and saying what a good club we are.

I think we are always going to sell the youth that is a fact of life in the a-league.

We could sign better internationals and senior players who are more likely to stay imo, Gerhardt and Germano are goo as is fred atm but we signed alot of bad ones too imo, Worm, Terra, Maycon, Gray ect were just not good enough, Brisbane signed Broich ect when they were up and about, ADP, Heskey ect we dont make enough from the older type players this is holding us back, i think we have had and still have alot of good youth come and go which is good for us and them, last year i didnt know about Garuccio and Walker like i do now, Miichinson is another option, and hopfully Edwards too after a pre-season. Redmayne has shown he is ready for the number 1 ect.

I think we can sell players as long as we keep a core of high level experienced senior and international signings

Stopped reading here.

In fairness, I don't think that's what he was trying to say. I think it's more about questioning why people would fork out that much for a seasons ticket if the club doesn't appear serious about competing for, or winning the league. If the club's goals are to just make finals, produce and sell young players, and break even, is it worth paying that much money to watch them play? I think that's the point he's trying to make.

And its a good point.

I dont mind us selling players to overseas clubs.. just as long as we bring in replacements that are just as good, if not better. Players like Reid and Wheelhouse are not sufficient replacements and goes to show that the club isnt that serious about competing.

If the clubs goals are to break-even and to sell players etc etc then atleast make memberships and match day tickets cheaper.