Melbourne Football

Gym Rats

kingawesomeness

We'll do some snatches.

Braveheart, let us know what suits.

Never done before. Want to try.

Despite all the epic stuff at my gym, what I am most pleased about is having a chest supported row machine/stand/whatever. Seems like best option for back after chinups/pullups and barbell row.

Speaking of row, saw this

is that the correct way to do row? Tried it today, quite liked it. Back tends to round a bit though, as it does with the way I was doing rows till now, but its quite slight so I dont think its a problem? Felt it in my lower back a lot, but I think that was mainly from trying to keep my back straight rather than from the actual lift, so again I dont think its a problem?

Never done before. Want to try.

Despite all the epic stuff at my gym, what I am most pleased about is having a chest supported row machine/stand/whatever. Seems like best option for back after chinups/pullups and barbell row.

Speaking of row, saw this

is that the correct way to do row? Tried it today, quite liked it. Back tends to round a bit though, as it does with the way I was doing rows till now, but its quite slight so I dont think its a problem? Felt it in my lower back a lot, but I think that was mainly from trying to keep my back straight rather than from the actual lift, so again I dont think its a problem?

I do these as part of my 5x5

• Like 1

Strong as fuck lifting session.

Squat form given the tachycardia tick of approval, a few small cues from him helped a lot. Very good coach.

Posting this here in case tachy wanted to see it, as I brought it up quickly today. Why coach Rip prefers low bar.

Edited by Tesla

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

tachy, is it worthwhile to try spiking insulin significantly after workout (eg by eating things with sugar in them)? or it best to avoid spiking it too much at all times, in order to improve insulin sensitivity. I already avoid carbs on non workout days, and since on IF, any carbs on workout day are around workout time.

Can't remember if it applied to resistance training, but you should consume some Hi GI carbs within the 30 mins after activity. This significantly helps reduce energy level recovery times.

Don't know if that's what you meant, but I try to make sure I eat a chocolate bar or a spoon of pure glucose as soon as I get home. I only remember this all from pe, so I have a very basic knowledge.

I find the ideal post-workout drink has a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio of protein:high GI carb. Insulin spike from carb can assist with drawing creatine, protein, etc into muscles. Can't remember where I read it, but there were a few studies done into recovery times and (possibly, but I'm not 100% confident) increased lean gains based off the correct pre and post-workout nutrition.

Anyone know of any good gyms that aren't that Fit 'n' Fast crap that actually have decent weights available in the Eastern Suburbs? There used to be Spartan's in Kilsyth, but that has changed to your stock-standard Fitness First clone gym.

Where exactly in East? AFAIK its pretty slim pickings in the east, compared to the north and west which have quite a few good gyms. Apparently the Goodlife gym in Wantirna is pretty good, recently redeveloped, still a franchise though so not sure, but seems to me Goodlife franchises have a fair bit of variation from one to the other.

1,000,000 calories burnt

Nah, haven't came yet. They're coming from ballarat and then I'll have to give them a quick weld and i'll be set to go. Not really sure what exactly I'm gonna do with them yet.

Lift them.

Look its not really ideal, but you can have a pretty solid routine with just DBs and bodyweight exercises.

DB overhead press is just as good as barbell overhead press

DB row is just as good as barbell row, if not better. I just dont like it because its not as time efficient as you have to do one side at a time.

DB bench press is just as good, if not better (for everything except powerlifting purposes) than barbell bench press. If you dont have a bench to lie on then just lie on the floor, its not really ideal but it will do and its what I used to do when I only had DBs.

Add some chinups/pullups if you can find some bar or similar around your house to do it off.

Biggest disadvantage is that you cant do barbell squats. But you can just do DB squats which, again while not ideal, will be fine.

Lift heavy, eat food, dont do retarded splits invented for steroid uses, have fun.

• Like 1

Lift them.

Look its not really ideal, but you can have a pretty solid routine with just DBs and bodyweight exercises.

DB overhead press is just as good as barbell overhead press

DB row is just as good as barbell row, if not better. I just dont like it because its not as time efficient as you have to do one side at a time.

DB bench press is just as good, if not better (for everything except powerlifting purposes) than barbell bench press. If you dont have a bench to lie on then just lie on the floor, its not really ideal but it will do and its what I used to do when I only had DBs.

Add some chinups/pullups if you can find some bar or similar around your house to do it off.

Biggest disadvantage is that you cant do barbell squats. But you can just do DB squats which, again while not ideal, will be fine.

Lift heavy, eat food, dont do retarded splits invented for steroid uses, have fun.

this but invest in 1 barbell. They aren't that expensive and nothing wrong with a second hand/ebay/cashconvertors job tbh.

I'm thinking of cutting and doing a fair amount of cardio first to get rid of the few kilos of flab I've acquired from 6 months of inactivity, or should I just get straight into lifting then cut later? Does it even matter? Completely green here.

I'm thinking of cutting and doing a fair amount of cardio first to get rid of the few kilos of flab I've acquired from 6 months of inactivity, or should I just get straight into lifting then cut later? Does it even matter? Completely green here.

I personally wish I lost fat before I started lifting because after bulking I became too fat, which makes it harder to find the motivation to cut down because it will take to long.

Plus, theoretically, you should make better gains if you are leaner, due to hormones.