Melbourne Football

Gym Rats

kingawesomeness

Used my unlimited cardio to run all day at the post NYL kickaround, then did an intense pre-season session tonight. Still near the fittest at my club and missed an entire week with absolutely zero exercise.

Based off my current VO2 max (Coopers test + Yo-Yo intermittant test) I'm sitting on about middle-lower range professional athlete. Going to hopefully push it up a bit by the end of pre-season, but I'm not sure how much more improvement I've got in me.

Please aware us on how you got so fit, I was mirin hard yesterday at your non-stop running.

In summary:

Genetics is key.

Yes, but that is true for every physical endeavour.

BUT, and it's a big but, that doesn't mean you can't gain - I wouldn't say I have great genetics for upper body mass gains, but I've made fairly good gains with hard training and a sound nutritional plan.

I now maintain that most of that upper body mass despite training for a primarily power endurance based sport due to sheer hard work and total volume lifted. I am positive that if I focused on a mass building phase, I would be even bigger than before, because I now have an even greater tolerance for discomfort and hard training, thanks to 10 minute sets of kettlebell lifting.

Most people that complain about genetics aren't training hard enough.

I have trained in a lot of gyms, seen some big guys, and none of them look comfortable when they train - they train so hard it hurts. Some used questionable methods, but due to sheer effort they made gains.

I really think that most people don't know how hard hard training is - yesterday I was trialling a new PT for the gym, had him take me through a training session. Afterwards I couldn't talk for 5 minutes, and my legs were shaking for a good hour. Part of that was unfamiliarity - I don't normally train like that, part of that was the fact that I pushed hard.

Sound program + hard work + time = definite gains.

Edited by tachycardia

Please aware us on how you got so fit, I was mirin hard yesterday at your non-stop running.

Cardio three times a week and sport-specific training. No point in riding on a bike for 40km if you're going to run a marathon. Same reasoning with football.

I did the Cooper test just prior to Xmas and just managed to hit 'Good' for experienced athletes, which is just on 3.4kms. I think I was just under though, so I've got a bit of work to do.

Getting to that magical 3.7kms is only another lap of the hockey field. How hard can it be, right?

That's huge man. I've gotta say, I hate the Coopers test. There's something about straight line running that I don't connect with.

Despite that I'm doing Tough Mudder on March 31, and it's gunna be badass.

I don't necessarily have a diet.

eg: having that kebab at the football was my first meal of the day, then when I got home I had tuna for dinner.

I was fine. I snacked on various things but not to the point of going over my caloric intake.

Am I wrong?

Relax, its fine.

Just a once off, I workout every 2nd day, I start every workout with squats. But want to go in tomorrow and jsut work on squat form, cbf waiting till next session and assume it will take me a while as I wont be leaving gym till its 100% so wouldnt want to do a full workout afterwards.

Once off so should be fine I think since its a once off, and it doesnt matter if I'm not 100% tomorrow as its about form, might just start with front squat or something else more quad intense than normal squats on Wednesday instead, since quads won't tire with the weight I am trying to back squat (my problem lies elsewhere).

Or just skip squats on Wednesday, probably better idea?

Heads up for anyone interested, Derrimut 24/7 gym (been there a few times, good gym, proper lifting gym not some franchise shit, even has weightlifting platform), is moving to Caroline Springs (technically Ravenhall, just off Ballarat rd) and is offering $199 for 12 month foundation memberships, ridiculously cheap. The new location is meant to be 4 times bigger and will apparently be the biggest gym in Australia.

Possibly the best gym deal you will come across, so even if its a bit further away it would still be worth it. More info: http://derrimut247.com.au/

Edited by Tesla

Will do those stretches. Flexibility is bad, so easy to underestimate the importance of flexibility till yiou start to lift. Probably only one causing me a big problem atm is that my lower back is rounding at bottom of squat, thats due to poor hamstring flexibility isnt it?

Not just flexibility though. Last time I was focusing on pushing my knees out, and that really brought my attention to the fact my knees came in when lifting the weight back up, thats an obvious case of weak abductors so my body would bring the knees in to utilise quads to lift the weight back up (probably also explains why my front squat is currently higher than back squat, since its more quad intensive). Rip says only way to strengthen the abductors is by squatting and that trying to isolate them isn't really going to help. Sucks because other muscles involved in squatting aren't really going to be worked much for a while.

Are squat shoes what people refer to as weightlifting shoes?

Will do those stretches. Flexibility is bad, so easy to underestimate the importance of flexibility till yiou start to lift. Probably only one causing me a big problem atm is that my lower back is rounding at bottom of squat, thats due to poor hamstring flexibility isnt it?

Not just flexibility though. Last time I was focusing on pushing my knees out, and that really brought my attention to the fact my knees came in when lifting the weight back up, thats an obvious case of weak abductors so my body would bring the knees in to utilise quads to lift the weight back up (probably also explains why my front squat is currently higher than back squat, since its more quad intensive). Rip says only way to strengthen the abductors is by squatting and that trying to isolate them isn't really going to help. Sucks because other muscles involved in squatting aren't really going to be worked much for a while.

Are squat shoes what people refer to as weightlifting shoes?

Yeah, squat shoes = weightlifting shoes. In fact squat shoes was me typing with squats on the brain. Check these (what I have, but in red) http://www.kettlebells.com.au/store/weightlifting-shoe.html (If you want them, let me know, I can get them "wholesale - company's word not mine" for you for $120)

It can be due to hamstring "tightness", it can also be due to a complex notion called "stiffness", that is your hamstrings are stiffer than your core, particularly low back extensors.

Anyway, all you need to know is that it's good to stretch the biceps femoris (if you remember the 3-way hamstring stretch, it is the one where you pull your leg across your body - sorry that is the best explanation I can give).

Also, train your core with roll outs (can use a bar, or an ab wheel http://www.kettlebells.com.au/store/the-abdominal-wheel.html) and reverse crunches, progressing hanging knee raises (and then progressing to hanging leg raises eventually).

As far as the knees out problem goes, simply squatting to a manageable depth initially will fix that, as everything strengthens, you get a carryover roughly 15 degrees above and below what you were training (this is the rule for isometrics, but I've found it has some carryover to dynamic movements too).

You can also use a band wrapped around your knees, making sure to push your knees out as you squat.

"spread the floor apart with your feet" helps too.

• Like 1

I have some weights at home I dont need from before I joined gym. Dumbbell bars, weights, etc. Not sure if the weights fit an olympic bar since only ever used them on dumbbell but I would say its likely that they do.

EDIT: Looking at the weight plates, hole looks to small for olympic bar, but they suit the dumbbell bar.

Got

2 DB bars

8x 5kg

4x 2.5kg

4x 1.25kg

Edited by Tesla

How long until you start putting on some decent size? I currently use Total Ripped as my protein powder, I am presuming I should be using more of a weight gainer powder?

Many fairly large lads I know take ZERO supplements. Protein powders etc aid in the recovery process. This can be obtained through diet and it is not a requirement to use supplements to obtain the effect. Most people use them because they offer a reliable, clean and easy at-hand source of quality protein rather than relying on having to source it after/before workouts via diet.

The supplement you use does not correlate to how much/rate you will grow at. HARD training and smart dieting will get you the results.

Edited by Braveheart

Many fairly large lads I know take ZERO supplements.

Are they on the juice?

If I was on it I wouldn't use any supplements either, rather use that money for more juice that would actually do something instead of supplements which end up costing you almost the same and dont even have 1% of the effect.

Has anyone here ever made there own almond milk? Just for a liquidy protein/calcium boost as a dairy alternative?

There are some on the market but they have too many additives, even the organic kind.

I am probably baking up the wrong tree once again, but I thought I would at least try.

Also cardio training, anyone subject themselves to interval training?

I just run. Some douche bag broke my rower. I tend to burn more (according to my HRM) when doing intervals over 5km, compared to just running 5kms.

What about food, does anyone stick to certain calorie intake? Whole foods only? I think it might be me because I am on toning not bulkling

Has anyone here ever made there own almond milk? Just for a liquidy protein/calcium boost as a dairy alternative?

There are some on the market but they have too many additives, even the organic kind.

I am probably baking up the wrong tree once again, but I thought I would at least try.

Also cardio training, anyone subject themselves to interval training?

Yeah I tried once. You need a powerful blender to do it well. I learnt the hard way.

Probably good to soak the almonds for 12+hrs as well.

There is no such thing as toning. You are gaining weight (muscle and fat), losing weight (muscle and fat) or maintaining weight. You can cycle calories to give the illusion of simultaneous fat loss/muscle gain, but you are just alternating small periods of loss and gain. Track your calories and macros (protein/carb/fat) and then after 1-2 weeks, when you have a consistent idea of what your maintenance levels are, adjust up or down depending on your goal.

If you do intervals, do them on your lifting days, they are quite taxing, especially if you are in a deficit (to lose weight), you won't recover as well.

Are they on the juice?

If I was on it I wouldn't use any supplements either, rather use that money for more juice that would actually do something instead of supplements which end up costing you almost the same and dont even have 1% of the effect.

Try cutting all your supps, except multi and fish oil.

After a month, if you notice a change, add them back in, one at a time, so you can see which actually do anything. Most are over-rated.

Also, if you can, email me some videos of your heaviest sets in the main lifts.

Try cutting all your supps, except multi and fish oil.

After a month, if you notice a change, add them back in, one at a time, so you can see which actually do anything. Most are over-rated.

Also, if you can, email me some videos of your heaviest sets in the main lifts.

I dont take that many supplements in all honesty. Right now I take:

Whey

Casein

Multi

Fish Oil

BCAAs

pre workout

I also have some creatine coming in, but thats dirt cheap and pretty much the only legal supplement that is proven significantly effective so why not.

Only using pre workout because I have it, wont be buying any more.

BCAAs have had the same tub for ages from when I first done fasted training and using it again for that now, but its probably not even necessary for that so might not buy again.

Whey I buy because I cbf eating a lot of meat

Casein I buy because its more enjoyable to drink than whey

So only ones I would drop I'm probably going to drop anyway.

Its mainly the protein powder which I use a lot and costs me a lot.

By main lifts you mean squat, bench, dead or you also want press and row?

Edited by Tesla

cheers for that. Was told to soak for 24hrs so spot on.

I don't know what I am doing. I keep shrinking so I am trying to do more weights. Small weights lots of reps vs big weights less reps.

Doing a cardio weights circuit 4 days and running intervals on alternate days seems to be working so far. I just have to figure out my set point and maitain. Still about 6kgs from where I think I should be.

Thanks for the tips, will try the almond milk, dairy and soy cause all kinds of problems.