Melbourne Football

Gym Rats

kingawesomeness

Can't you just ask the doctor to order them, out of pocket expense?

Not really sure, I tried once and doctor said he didnt even know what the process for that was.

Finally hit new bench PB, I'm about 5kg lighter since the last one so feelsgoodman. But I want to cut fast starting next week after adelaide trip, I think I'll hit my goals faster by just cutting to around 10-12%bf and then trying to bulk, mihgt actually be able to make gains. Till now been cutting slow with maintenance on workout days and then a deficit on non-training days.

I'm thinking, isn't it better to workout every 3rd day with higher calories on workout day and then 2 days of large deficits as opposed to working out every 2nd day and having lower calories every day.

Not really sure, I tried once and doctor said he didnt even know what the process for that was.

Finally hit new bench PB, I'm about 5kg lighter since the last one so feelsgoodman. But I want to cut fast starting next week after adelaide trip, I think I'll hit my goals faster by just cutting to around 10-12%bf and then trying to bulk, mihgt actually be able to make gains. Till now been cutting slow with maintenance on workout days and then a deficit on non-training days.

I'm thinking, isn't it better to workout every 3rd day with higher calories on workout day and then 2 days of large deficits as opposed to working out every 2nd day and having lower calories every day.

If you want to cut fast, have a deficit on all days, lift maybe 3x per week as heavy as possible.

Just make the non-training day deficit bigger.

300 and 700 calories, which is a 3500 calorie deficit over the week.

That would be a good starting point for a faster cut (although it depend on what your weekly deficit is currently).

EDIT: my favourite template for fat loss is an AB split:

A

1a squat variation

1b chin variation

sets of 5-8 with <60s rest

2a single leg movement

2b upper body push (DBs)

some kind of finisher

B

1a deadlift

1b db press/push press

2a single leg

2b inverted row

sets of 5-8 with <60s rest between alternating exercises

some kind of finisher

This allows you to lift heavy, but still creates a big 'metabolic effect'.

For slower fat loss, I'd recommend a more moderate approach, but for fast, this is a good way to go about it.

Edited by tachycardia
  • Like 1

How many sets of each of those?

Something I have been thinking about for a long time, as it makes sense to me and I still havent really found anything wrong with it, is basically:

workout

eat for 24 hours

fast for 24 hours

repeat.

AFAIK protein synthesis is elevated for 24 hours (maybe even 36), so you are maximising calories consumed during this time.

Minimising calories consumed outside of this time.

There isn't much benefit to fasting more than 24 hours so you are maximising your eating window.

Insulin sensitivity is maximised.

The only drawback I see is you have to workout every 2nd day rather than a X times a week approach, or an approach that results in training 2 days in a row. But I already do that so its not a problem for me.

I have tried a 24 hour fast not to long ago and it was fine, and after a few days or so I'm sure the body would be used to such a set up like with the 16 hour approach under leangains which wasnt to hard to get used to in a few days.

I know you advocate a 24 hour fast once or twice a week as per Eat Stop Eat (I am going to read this when I get a chance as it should have good info), but are there any drawbacks to doing it every 2nd day?

Seems to me like the ultimate way to lose fat while minimising muscle loss, or to do a recomp.

Edited by Tesla

Won't you end up interrupting your eating day with sleep?

I've heard of a guy (a weightlifter) basically doing one meal a day, just dinner, fasting the rest of the time.

I can't really comment, as I haven't tried it, but I would think something like this would be better if you wanted to go multiple fasts:

Monday lift and eat

Tuesday fast

Wednesday lift and eat

Thursday lift and eat

Friday fast

Saturday lift and feast

Sunday fast

This way you get that two days of eating in a row, so you would stay anabolic for a longer period (i'm hypothesizing here).

Also, setting your training up like this allows a full body approcah Monday and Saturday, with an upper body and lower body day back to back for some extra volume. So you get 3x/week frequency, but more overall volume.

I would time the eating from a couple of hours before you lift. So say on Monday you lift at 6, eat at 4, until 4 on Tuesday, then fast until 4 on Wednesday before you train at 6 again. That way you can consume the vast majority of your calories post workout.

Again, I'm just speculating, you will have to try it and see if it is sustainable and if it works.

EDIT: Oh and the feast thing is something I've heard of as a way to boost leptin. Basically just go nuts with food, clean or dirty, no macro guidelines.

Also, here is the link for the weightlifter: http://www.theironsamurai.com/2011/08/29/intermittent-fasting-the-vodka-diet-or-how-i-got-skinny-for-my-wedding-like-a-real-man/

Edited by tachycardia

Won't you end up interrupting your eating day with sleep?

What I meant was, workout at 4pm, so probably end up eating at like 530pm for example, and then just eat normally till 530pm the next day, then fast from 530pm till 530pm the next day.

I've heard of a guy (a weightlifter) basically doing one meal a day, just dinner, fasting the rest of the time.

Yeah I have heard of a few people doing this. I'll check out the link but not to keen on this approach.

I can't really comment, as I haven't tried it, but I would think something like this would be better if you wanted to go multiple fasts:

Monday lift and eat

Tuesday fast

Wednesday lift and eat

Thursday lift and eat

Friday fast

Saturday lift and feast

Sunday fast

This way you get that two days of eating in a row, so you would stay anabolic for a longer period (i'm hypothesizing here).

Also, setting your training up like this allows a full body approcah Monday and Saturday, with an upper body and lower body day back to back for some extra volume. So you get 3x/week frequency, but more overall volume.

This actually sounds better.

I would time the eating from a couple of hours before you lift. So say on Monday you lift at 6, eat at 4, until 4 on Tuesday, then fast until 4 on Wednesday before you train at 6 again. That way you can consume the vast majority of your calories post workout.

Yeah I was thinking about this as well. Because if I eat it at 4 by the time the body is ready to use those calories its post workout right? Plus fasted training after a 24 hour fast would probably not be optimal.

EDIT: Oh and the feast thing is something I've heard of as a way to boost leptin. Basically just go nuts with food, clean or dirty, no macro guidelines.

Hmm, couldn't I still do this with macros being counted, eg instead of eating for example 2800 calories during every non-fasting window, have like 2600 on 3 and then 3400 on the other, wouldnt this have the same effect while still making sure I am keeping to my weekly deficit target?

Again, I'm just speculating, you will have to try it and see if it is sustainable and if it works.

Yeah I realise that this approach would be a bit experimental, but theoretically it seems like it would work.

Edited by Tesla

Alright guys, I made a post in the food thread about my situation, but that was just looking for general food ideas. I'll go into specifics now.

According to the BMR thingo, I need around 13000kj a day to just maintain. At the moment, I'm living off around $50 a week, so diet hasn't really been a priority, I'm just buying whatever is cheap and filling. However, after about a month, I'm noticing significant losses, which isn't the best. I'm waiting for ma fukin centalink to be approved, and I'll be job hunting very shortly. But for now, I'm just searching for ideas.

Now I'm not too worried, I'm just wondering if I'm still able to get close to my required intake on such a budget, and what foods will get me there.

I've also started playing fussball every second day, so I'm wondering if that needs to be accounted for when making a weight program, i.e getting required rest. Basically, I'm just confused as to what I need to be doing in terms of eating, training and recovery.

TL;DR

My aim is to increase size (nothing drastic, just get more solid) and improve cardio. Is this possible on $50 a week at 13000kj maintenance?

Alright guys, I made a post in the food thread about my situation, but that was just looking for general food ideas. I'll go into specifics now.

According to the BMR thingo, I need around 13000kj a day to just maintain. At the moment, I'm living off around $50 a week, so diet hasn't really been a priority, I'm just buying whatever is cheap and filling. However, after about a month, I'm noticing significant losses, which isn't the best. I'm waiting for ma fukin centalink to be approved, and I'll be job hunting very shortly. But for now, I'm just searching for ideas.

Now I'm not too worried, I'm just wondering if I'm still able to get close to my required intake on such a budget, and what foods will get me there.

I've also started playing fussball every second day, so I'm wondering if that needs to be accounted for when making a weight program, i.e getting required rest. Basically, I'm just confused as to what I need to be doing in terms of eating, training and recovery.

TL;DR

My aim is to increase size (nothing drastic, just get more solid) and improve cardio. Is this possible on $50 a week at 13000kj maintenance?

13,000kj? Use calories lawl. Anyway thats 3100 calories, thats a lot for maintenance, make sure you got that right. You are tall so could be right, especially if your doing a lot of physical activity.

Protein would be your hardest thing to get on a cheap diet, so you would probably want to go with the minimum you could get away with which would be 0.8 grams per pound of body weight. Just enter X kg in lb into google and it will convert it for you and then times by 0.8. You could probably get away with even a bit less if you really cant afford it.

Your still going to struggle to hit that off of cheap foods and AFAIK protein powder is the cheapest source of protein. Go with WPC, WPI isnt worth the extra money. Cheap WPC available here http://www.proteindirect.com.au/?page_id=3 dont be afraid to go with the unflavoured in order to save yourself $10, never tried it but from what I hear it doesnt taste bad.

I'd say just try get your minimum amount of protein, and your calories. Normally you would have a minimum amount of fat also that you need to not fuck up your hormones, but if your eating cheap food, chances are your going to get that easily. In fact you probably want to focus more on fats than carbs to get your calories because it would be cheaper, but not overly so because you still need carbs if you are doign a lot of physical activity. Dont be afraid to drink some olive oil for cheap and healthy fats. 1 tabelspoon is 13.5g of fat which is 119 calories. Easy.

I'm no expert on food prices, but rice would provide cheap carbs and it is actual food rather than processed rubbish. Potatoes? pasta? Pasta has the advantage over rice in that it contains more protein (your most expensive macronutriant).

Cliffs:

Protein powder

Olive Oil

Pasta

Edited by Tesla

Yeah I was thinking about this as well. Because if I eat it at 4 by the time the body is ready to use those calories its post workout right? Plus fasted training after a 24 hour fast would probably not be optimal.

Hmm, couldn't I still do this with macros being counted, eg instead of eating for example 2800 calories during every non-fasting window, have like 2600 on 3 and then 3400 on the other, wouldnt this have the same effect while still making sure I am keeping to my weekly deficit target?

You physiologically don't need to eat before you train, and your body will just up regulate protein synthesis afterwards to compensate if you don't. But I still would after a fast, because some circulating nutrients would be beneficial.

I guess you could count, but for me it just gets tedious, if you can do it, go for it, but it seems like an unnecessary stress, which the fasts are supposed to eliminate.

One thing I should add Tesla, is my personal experience with >1 fast per week isn't great. I lost strength. Felt crap.

I recommend fasting for the health benefits, of depressed insulin and increased growth hormone. It also helps with recognising the difference between physical and psychological fasting.

For fat loss, you gotta have your diet in order.

Alright, I crunched some numbers, and I'm pretty close to hitting my targets. You were right about the protein, by far the hardest part. I'll probs purchase some of that WPC once some cash comes my way, but until then I might just double my milk intake.

The next thing is figuring out my workout, it doesn't matter if I work upper body on the same day I do large amounts of running right? I just need to eat extra yeah? Currently I have training on tuesdays, wednesdays and match on saturday, with a thursday training optional. Workouts on monday wednesday and friday would be all good?

Training is mostly aerobic, so should I just have an extra bowl of pasta as a snack or something on training days?

Sorry for being so uneducated, I've never mixed training schedules together.

For strength and running sessions in the same day, try and separate them ie AM and PM. Usually strength is better in the PM.

If training is mostly aerobic, don't worry about eating anything "special", just eat normally, perhaps a little more than non training days. You'll be fine unless you are doing 2+ hrs on back to back days.

Milk is good and cheap, but I know many people run into sensitivities consuming a lot, so be wary.

Sardines (fresh) are an awesome protein source, and like $6/kg.

• 1 month later...

How are we going with our fitness goals?

I've been a piece of shite recently, and am looking for some motivation to get me to what I know I can achieve.

Here are my goals for the next month:

- Get my sleeping pattern in order, no more staying up late then waking up for class early morning.

- Add more veggies and fruit into my diet, and aim to atleast reach my caloric maintenance levels.

- Start working out again, at least twice a week.

If I haven't done these things by this date next month, I may aswell just give up. Of course this will not be the case, as I will be well on my way to super stardom.

New gym was finally opened, not going to say too much because you guys would be extremely jelly, but very happy with it.

I havent been as motivated as I used to either, in terms of eating at least, havent counted a single macro in a long time. I enjoy lifting so thats never a problem, in fact been doing it too much, trying to take a few days off at the moment which is a few weeks overdue but due to a certain world famous bodybuilder being in attendance at my gym tomorrow I will have to go and might as well smash out a session while I'm there. I have learnt there is a big difference between lifting 3 times a week, and lifting every second day. That 1 more rest day a week makes a lot of difference.

Just want to finish cutting already so can start a proper strength program, either SS or 5/3/1.

Edited by Tesla

a certain world famous bodybuilder being in attendance at my gym tomorrow

Oh god, enjoy having your gym filled with faggots who do curls and drink brotein shakes, and label themselves 'body builders'. I know of one absolute shit fag dickhead who will be attending, cunt tried to fight me simply because I stated I went to gym.

I just want to say two things:

1. I have been to the Gym 3 Times in 5 days and I am going again tonight.
  2. Inb4 Bergsbrah.

That is all.

Good effort, like Tesla noted though, make sure you have sufficient breaks. Try some swapping a gym sesh or two for some cardio every now and then, the health benefits are immense.

You still avoiding the cigarettes?

I just want to say two things:

1. I have been to the Gym 3 Times in 5 days and I am going again tonight.
  2. Inb4 Bergsbrah.

That is all.

I have not had a smoke since I went Cold Turkey six weeks ago.

And I am just running and doing really minor weights.

bertstare_bed_gif.gif

Surely this cant be real life.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Oh god, enjoy having your gym filled with faggots who do curls and drink brotein shakes, and label themselves 'body builders'. I know of one absolute shit fag dickhead who will be attending, cunt tried to fight me simply because I stated I went to gym.

Lol most of the people who go gym are phaggots, you got to get used to dealing with them. Some phaggot I talked to a few times at gym, seemed like a decent bloke, asked me to spot him one time on bench press. He put like 10kg more than he could handle on the bar and basically needed spotting from first rep, but anyway not a big deal. What was a big deal was that he kept asking me if I thought person X was bigger than him, if person Y was bigger than him, etc. STRONG insecurity and obsession.

But worst is the phaggots who think they are a hero for going to the gym, that they have achieved something special by lifting weights and eating. Or lifting weights, eating, and taking drugs. Going to the gym is not hard work. Well, maybe on legs days it is, but still not really.

Latest comp results:

Jerked 2x24 kg 87 times in 10 minutes.

Snatched 40 reps left, 0 reps right (I dropped the bell during the hand switch).

Lessons learnt.

Holy shite, can't even imagine being able to get to that level tbh. Incredible endurance.

Next target?

Lol most of the people who go gym are phaggots, you got to get used to dealing with them. Some phaggot I talked to a few times at gym, seemed like a decent bloke, asked me to spot him one time on bench press. He put like 10kg more than he could handle on the bar and basically needed spotting from first rep, but anyway not a big deal. What was a big deal was that he kept asking me if I thought person X was bigger than him, if person Y was bigger than him, etc. STRONG insecurity and obsession.

Some of the mind sets are incredible. I think there is a difference between lifting to improve physique and fitness, and lifting just to get swole. This dickhead falls into the latter, despite being as thin as a 12 year old. Tight shirts and everything.

But worst is the phaggots who think they are a hero for going to the gym, that they have achieved something special by lifting weights and eating. Or lifting weights, eating, and taking drugs. Going to the gym is not hard work. Well, maybe on legs days it is, but still not really.

I agree that it isn't too hard to walk into a gym and complete a routine, however it is hard work to stay motivated and stick around long enough to see major results. Lifting is a completely personal venture however, and every one has separate goals, so I'm not judging.

Except for 16 year old curlbros. Fuck I can't stand them.

522616_10150705157526962_571756961_10024662_677642813_n.jpg

U MIRIN GYM?

Yeah you are. There is another 20 or so squat racks in another room, but just feels better doing it on the lifting platforms with bumper plates. Also less phaggots in this area since all the cable machines are in other rooms.

Tempted to further exploit my gym by taking advantage of free Crossfit (lol I know) classes. Also some other of the more manly cardio based classes. Not sure how many days of cardio and lifting I can do in a week without ruining my recovery, especially since trying to have a calorie deficit.

• Like 1

522616_10150705157526962_571756961_10024662_677642813_n.jpg

U MIRIN GYM?

Yeah you are. There is another 20 or so squat racks in another room, but just feels better doing it on the lifting platforms with bumper plates. Also less phaggots in this area since all the cable machines are in other rooms.

Strong gym(srs).

This is the Derrimut joint? How much is costing?

The spacing of the racks, appropriate flooring and theraband/ring set up, me rikey.

Strong gym(srs).

This is the Derrimut joint? How much is costing?

The spacing of the racks, appropriate flooring and theraband/ring set up, me rikey.

I paid $200 for 12 months (LOL SRS), think its currently $300 for 12 months or $8/week on direct debit.

Thats about 1/3 to 1/4 of one of the four sections of the lower floor of the gym. There is also a top floor which I dunno if there is equipment there or not.

Strongest gym ever TBH.

Pretty sure all the other gyms in the west are going to go bankrupt, I know people are traveling upto 25 minutes to lift here. Crazy.

578878_10150790457933308_634008307_9792523_1932486712_n.jpg

Edited by Tesla

That gym looks awesome.

If I were in the West, I would probably train there - even though I don't need a gym, I like training in one.

This week, after 4 months of nothing but kettlebell work, I've been fooling around with some more traditional training.

Yesterday I worked up to a 140 kg back squat single, without squatting for 4 months (well I did one set of 5 at 120 kg for fun about 2 months ago).

Pull ups are strong, did 10x3 deadlifts Saturday at 120 kg, which is pretty light, tomorrow I'll test dead max and bench press max.

Soon it will be back into the bells though, as there is another comp in August. I'll stay with the 24 kg, work towards 100+ jerks and 130+ snatches (total).

I re-iterate, nice gym.

For sure. Name your time & date.

Tuesday afternoons or Thursday mornings are good, otherwise a weekend sesh?

When I trained at Doherty's they would often have the pros out and you'd see them train - I never saw Ronnie, but Melvin Anthony up close is awesome, along with Dexter and Troy Alves, just really good symmetry.

Id like to get in on this sesh too Tachy/Tesla. Be interested to see Tachy's programs in action.

I haven't been gyming in a while due to illness/footy/groin strain so strength/endurance would be diminished but would love to jump in for a few CURLS IN THE SQUAT RACK.

Are you talking about this sat?

• Like 1