Melbourne Football

The different supporter groups

True Until I die

I was iwth friends on wednesday so sat at nortn end, in the second half when we were attacking there were a heap of people there. by the end of it we had heaps standing for the corners and with ther hands up going oooooooooooooooooooo, agree with cinnamon, it would be great if there was a simple one for everyone

I reckon an anthem to sing at the start of the game just to set the atmosphere for the non active areas, obviously harder said than done, hopefully by next season we have a real song

I wouldnt give up yet on uniting the crowd. Has anyone else noticed that half of GA crowds change ends at half time to be down the heart scoring end.

This means most of the crowd will know the chants which once you pass the halfway line start to fade out a little. ( i sit everywhere to try and get the best vantage point)

Maybe start small with one simple as jw1739 says 'Come on you boys in red' chant . just need 20 or so coordinated blokes at the other end to get it going. (Tards style similar to there north/south end chant).

Has been tried before and failed miserably. Anyone wishing to head to the north end and make a change will find it nigh on impossible. You aren't allowed to stand for the whole 90 minutes because the area is sitting only. You can't have flags bigger than 1m x 1m. Moreso than that, a lot of the people down the north end are families who aren't keen on chanting songs or getting involved with making sound for a full 90 minutes.

To give people perspective, I was one of the people involved with RWU trying to get the north end making sound and it failed miserably. A whole bunch of people wanted to go down but no-one could agree on where to stand and there was no real decision on what to chant. So in the end there was a disorganised bunch of people spread across one bay doing very little.

Despite the good intentions of people wanting to get the entire stadium chanting, I think it's more pertinent that we focus on getting the Yarra end as loud and active as possible first. These things come with time, and trying to force a small section of the crowd who by all accounts aren't that keen on making sound to begin with to join in is only going to end in one way.

As for an anthem to start the match, it has been tried and failed. Before anyone mentions it, we're never going to use YNWA, so don't ask. The song we previously had was filled with good intentions and was something that the entire crowd could have sung, but it never took off and despite a lot of good intentions in its production, didn't deliver the desired sound either.

So to summarise: Let's all work together, make shit awesome down the Yarra end for now and grow the sound, noise and atmosphere whilst respecting each other. We're not mongs, remember.

• Like 5

Has been tried before and failed miserably. Anyone wishing to head to the north end and make a change will find it nigh on impossible. You aren't allowed to stand for the whole 90 minutes because the area is sitting only. You can't have flags bigger than 1m x 1m. Moreso than that, a lot of the people down the north end are families who aren't keen on chanting songs or getting involved with making sound for a full 90 minutes.

To give people perspective, I was one of the people involved with RWU trying to get the north end making sound and it failed miserably. A whole bunch of people wanted to go down but no-one could agree on where to stand and there was no real decision on what to chant. So in the end there was a disorganised bunch of people spread across one bay doing very little.

Despite the good intentions of people wanting to get the entire stadium chanting, I think it's more pertinent that we focus on getting the Yarra end as loud and active as possible first. These things come with time, and trying to force a small section of the crowd who by all accounts aren't that keen on making sound to begin with to join in is only going to end in one way.

As for an anthem to start the match, it has been tried and failed. Before anyone mentions it, we're never going to use YNWA, so don't ask. The song we previously had was filled with good intentions and was something that the entire crowd could have sung, but it never took off and despite a lot of good intentions in its production, didn't deliver the desired sound either.

So to summarise: Let's all work together, make shit awesome down the Yarra end for now and grow the sound, noise and atmosphere whilst respecting each other. We're not mongs, remember.

I am surprised by this response. Just because something didn't catch on during the first few months of our existence doesn't mean it won't catch on now. Do we give up for ever because something didn't work in 2011? I recall various discussions on the RWU forum - the song, motto, logo, chants etc. - and IMO they all finished the same way, which basically was 'Don't force it, it will happen organically.'

Seems to me that the CCM game was indeed one of those organic moments. I've been to all but three home games at AAMI, and the CCM game was the first where I've seen and heard the North End and the Western Wing trying to catch on to the Yarraside chants. All that's being suggested is that we all use one simple chant at certain points in the game where the whole stadium can join in if they want to. Such as when we win a corner, a free-kick etc. When we're pouring on the pressure. When we score. No-one's suggesting anything else but that. No one's suggesting flags at the North End or anywhere else but the YS active area. You don't have to stand to chant. You don't have to stand to clap to a rhythm. No-one's suggesting that anyone be forced to do anything. What I saw and heard at the CCM game was a whole lot of people around the ground - families and people of all ages - actually wanting to get involved.

Seems to me you don't want that to happen, which makes your appeal 'Let's all work together' somewhat hollow.

Edited by jw1739

As somebody that sat on the wing for the CCM game, I thought the best chant for the whole night was the first 5 minutes with the *clap* *clap* heart! chant, that seemed to go on forever. It's an easy one for everybody to get into, and one that could also help get people into the mood at the start of the game and turn into a bit of a tradition.

Edited by hedaik1

jw you make some great points.

there's always room for a happy medium between watching/analyzing the game and having a sing along. unfortunately the current no standing rule means its very hard and time consuming to try and change.

when victory started to have two ends i assume it was Olympic park (i could be wrong as i know nothing much of their time there). is anyone able to shed more light on this? is it sheer weight of numbers that allows the rules to be bent?

I am surprised by this response. Just because something didn't catch on during the first few months of our existence doesn't mean it won't catch on now. Do we give up for ever because something didn't work in 2011? I recall various discussions on the RWU forum - the song, motto, logo, chants etc. - and IMO they all finished the same way, which basically was 'Don't force it, it will happen organically.'

If you can show me how enough has changed to warrant a north end specific support, especially given our meagre increase in crowds, then I'd consider the idea. But, again, happening organically means that we'll have a large enough vocal supporter base to exist both loudly and in large enough numbers down both ends. Right now, we don't. Any attempt otherwise will be forcing it.

Seems to me that the CCM game was indeed one of those organic moments. I've been to all but three home games at AAMI, and the CCM game was the first where I've seen and heard the North End and the Western Wing trying to catch on to the Yarraside chants. All that's being suggested is that we all use one simple chant at certain points in the game where the whole stadium can join in if they want to. Such as when we win a corner, a free-kick etc. When we're pouring on the pressure. When we score. No-one's suggesting anything else but that. No one's suggesting flags at the North End or anywhere else but the YS active area. You don't have to stand to chant. You don't have to stand to clap to a rhythm. No-one's suggesting that anyone be forced to do anything. What I saw and heard at the CCM game was a whole lot of people around the ground - families and people of all ages - actually wanting to get involved.

It's good that the wings and north end are making sound, however what I was addressing was a specific group standing behind the goals in the north end making chants, ala what RWU attempted last year. If I were to summarise all the discussions that have happened in this past week it would be that a very small number of people are entertaining the thought of it, and I'm simply saying that we tried and it failed. There's a difference between families wanting to get involved with simple chants such as "Stand up for your Heart" and specific player chants or team chants that require memorisation of lyrics and rhythms. You'd be surprised at how few people know the lyrics to the Alex Terra chant, despite how long it has been in existence.

Seems to me you don't want that to happen, which makes your appeal 'Let's all work together' somewhat hollow.

Feel free to take a small group of your mates who aren't happy with not having your voice heard and head down to the north end and make a small amount of noise before realising how much effort it takes to get a large group of people organised and chanting for a full 90 minutes. I can tell you right now where you'll be standing by season's end. Let's all work together means just that - give positive and productive opinions on how to get people involved, not make smart-arse remarks and put no action into improving this club beyond being a keyboard warrior.

cbf reading the three posts above me, but to those that want active support at each end..

one step at a time, lets focus on getting the two/three active bays that we already have in the yarra end chanting for the whole game, ppl in active bays still sit down some for the full 90 minutes, which is unacceptable. we have to acheive this before we can even consider splitting the active supporters in half (as this would enevitably happen with two active ends) and consider is all it will be because we would realistically have to have nearly all the ppl who sit/stand in the yarra end (not just active bays) wanting to be active for there to be enough ppl to have two sustainable active areas.

one step at a time, lets focus on getting the two/three active bays that we already have in the yarra end chanting for the whole game, ppl in active bays still sit down some for the full 90 minutes, which is unacceptable. we have to acheive this before we can even consider splitting the active supporters in half (as this would enevitably happen with two active ends) and consider is all it will be because we would realistically have to have nearly all the ppl who sit/stand in the yarra end (not just active bays) wanting to be active for there to be enough ppl to have two sustainable active areas.

Exactly right ,We need to be able crawl before walking & running

Edited by Scouser

• 2 weeks later...

As somebody that sat on the wing for the CCM game, I thought the best chant for the whole night was the first 5 minutes with the *clap* *clap* heart! chant, that seemed to go on forever. It's an easy one for everybody to get into, and one that could also help get people into the mood at the start of the game and turn into a bit of a tradition.

This

Sounded great at the derby, definately one that can spread around the ground. So basic and sounds powerful.

Got a question. This forum, will it be integrated with the RWU and Yarraside websites? I mean I go to RWU to get information and initiatives and basically all the stories, but noticed its lacking material and anything now that made it great. Would there be a chance to have this website incorporate RWU and Yarraside news and podcasts and interviews and stuff like that rather than just be a forum?

This

Sounded great at the derby, definately one that can spread around the ground. So basic and sounds powerful.

Would be pretty easy to get started as well. Just have 10 or so people from Yarraside to sit on the wing for the start of the game to spread the chant out and get everyone into it.

Would be pretty easy to get started as well. Just have 10 or so people from Yarraside to sit on the wing for the start of the game to spread the chant out and get everyone into it.

Get Mr Munn, to get us tickets and I sit there.

I don't care if people just look at me. Ill fucking chant "Michael Marrone" with SCOUSER all night.

Got a question. This forum, will it be integrated with the RWU and Yarraside websites? I mean I go to RWU to get information and initiatives and basically all the stories, but noticed its lacking material and anything now that made it great. Would there be a chance to have this website incorporate RWU and Yarraside news and podcasts and interviews and stuff like that rather than just be a forum?

Warrior, I think what you're looking for is a site where you can get information and news about the Heart incorporating a forum that is focussed more on discussion than banter? I agree that the old RWU site did fill this niche, but in reality there weren't that many contributors and a decision was made to establish this MHFC Supporters Forum site to try to bring more people into the conversations. Give this a bit more time, because we're still in our infancy!

My beef has always been with the club website. It really is the pits. To some extent, the RWU and MHFC Supporters sites are trying to do the job that the club website should be doing. Of course, all the clubs have to conform to the FFA template, but really - a club website that cannot even list the senior players correctly and has no list of the NYL squad just shows that someone at Heart HQ is not doing their job. And how can the club itself carry a match report saying that David Williams was sent off in a NYL game when it was actually Josh Groenewald? For all matters Melbourne Heart I would have expected to turn to the club website, and so would potential new supporters casual or otherwise, but sadly that is not the case.

So the only option is to make this MHFC Supporters site work and appeal to as many people as possible.

• Like 1

Warrior, I think what you're looking for is a site where you can get information and news about the Heart incorporating a forum that is focussed more on discussion than banter? I agree that the old RWU site did fill this niche, but in reality there weren't that many contributors and a decision was made to establish this MHFC Supporters Forum site to try to bring more people into the conversations. Give this a bit more time, because we're still in our infancy!

My beef has always been with the club website. It really is the pits. To some extent, the RWU and MHFC Supporters sites are trying to do the job that the club website should be doing. Of course, all the clubs have to conform to the FFA template, but really - a club website that cannot even list the senior players correctly and has no list of the NYL squad just shows that someone at Heart HQ is not doing their job. And how can the club itself carry a match report saying that David Williams was sent off in a NYL game when it was actually Josh Groenewald? For all matters Melbourne Heart I would have expected to turn to the club website, and so would potential new supporters casual or otherwise, but sadly that is not the case.

So the only option is to make this MHFC Supporters site work and appeal to as many people as possible.

Yeah bang on.

Don't get me wrong, I get most of the news I need on here and love this place, I just loved the RWU website to get all the information, reports and podcasts etc. I know they are here on a forum but it was well set out on a website. It was just a question though cause I was confused. I knew RWU and Yarraside were two separate entities but have lately come more together which is great for all Heart fans as I didn't understand the animosity and the split. Both combine so well. RWU for the fans to get that information and podcast and fanzines they are the best in the league for all that for supporters, but Yarraside was the gameday sight and sound and really, the first point of call for people wanting to see what our fans are all about.

I know this forum links the two together, but an actual website combining the two would be amazing. As you say, something that substitutes from our terrible Official Website.