Melbourne Football

Looking for a Heart fan for a radio show.

Hate_Filled_Glory_Fan

Comrades,

Sorry to invade your forum but is there anyone out there that wants to have a chat about the Heart in the lead up to the Heart V Glory game on Sunday? It would be next Wednesday night on the phone to Perth but due to the poxy clocks going back it would be around 10pm your time. If you fancy having your 15 seconds on the Glory Guerillas show then let me know at thegloryguerillaspodcast@hotmail.com

Good luck this season.

A hate filled Glory fan.

Haha I don't know if my views about glory should be aired on a glory podcast.

Give the perspective of a Perth Based football fan that has never connected with the glory and why MHFC has garnered your affection. Maybe give some insight as to what about MHFC is different even for somebody who doesn't live in the namesake city.

Just my thoughts anyway.

• Like 1

Without writing an essay here is my reasoning. Feel free to disagree or question my logic.

1) PG was seen as the poster boy for non ethnic clubs at the nsl's demise. The time which I first grew to understand the aus football landscape (im 23) A claim I wholly disagree with. Their entire fabric as a club is Anglo aligned. Far from non ethnic unless you see non-ethnic as being English. ( I don't make any bones about the fact my grandad a former footballer in holland played a major part in shaping my views on this)

2) No attempt to bring through youth at any stage. Something I feel should be a major concern for all a-league clubs I out country is to move forward internationally.

3) terrible active support base which only follows on from the clubs original identity.

4) the anti-football propagated by the club since the days of bernd stange

So why I support heart?

They have essentially the closest thing to a club being based on principles that align with how I see football should be run in this country right the way up from how the yarraside run your terrace a far more non-ethnic approach than glory have where I can clearly see through the involvement on these forums a mix cultures in the terrace represented. To me something I consider more Australian than any Anglo leaning support. On top of this a youth focus and clear attempt at propagating a clear footballing style despite admittedly some shortcomings in the execution thus far.

Football in this country is more than allegiance with a city for me. I consider my membership wih heart as essentially a vote for how I feel football should be moving forward in this country.

Edited by perthheart
  • Like 2

Without writing an essay here is my reasoning. Feel free to disagree or question my logic.

1) PG was seen as the poster boy for non ethnic clubs at the nsl's demise. The time which I first grew to understand the aus football landscape (im 23) A claim I wholly disagree with. Their entire fabric as a club is Anglo aligned. Far from non ethnic unless you see non-ethnic as being English. ( I don't make any bones about the fact my grandad a former footballer in holland played a major part in shaping my views on this)

So if it's 'anglo aligned' why was the club started by a Greek and an Italian? Yes, for a long time people thought 'Pom' when they saw the shed but that is now changing. The SSC has now been marginalised by other suppoters who now go in the shed. Go to the Elephant and Wheelbarrow before the game see how a vast marojity aren't 'anglo'.

2) No attempt to bring through youth at any stage. Something I feel should be a major concern for all a-league clubs I out country is to move forward internationally.

No attempt? What about Josh Risdon or Scott Neville. Tando Velpahi? Nick Ward at the start of the A-League. Even know that we made the youth grand final in 2010?

3) terrible active support base which only follows on from the clubs original identity.

Terrible active support base that the A-League used as a prototype for the other clubs they invented. And, what, pray tell is the 'original identity'? Dragging Australian 'soccer' out of the dark ages by showing how to run a club? You were, what, 8 or 9 when the club started? You were a smart kid.

Yes, when we were broke we definately a kick and rush side and Heart play some great stuff but Ferguson has suprisingly played some fluid stuff...look at the final last season when Smeltz put you to the sword..twice if you count this time last year. If Miller was playing over east or from Brazil there would be massive fapping over him and his skill. Wow, even one of our defenders is Dutch! Andrezinho is from Bristol too I hear... Ignorance is a two way street.

So why I support heart?

They have essentially the closest thing to a club being based on principles that align with how I see football should be run in this country right the way up from how the yarraside run your terrace a far more non-ethnic approach than glory have where I can clearly see through the involvement on these forums a mix cultures in the terrace represented. To me something I consider more Australian than any Anglo leaning support. On top of this a youth focus and clear attempt at propagating a clear footballing style despite admittedly some shortcomings in the execution thus far.

Football in this country is more than allegiance with a city for me. I consider my membership wih heart as essentially a vote for how I feel football should be moving forward in this country.

Like I said, try going to some pre game pubs or even walk around the stadium rather than hide down one end to see how 'non-ethnic' we are. Glory being 'anglo' is a tired NSL stereotype but hey if that's your opinion then go for it. ANd here's me thinking Heart go about the right way too.

Sorry but find it hard to agree with a lot of that. Will mention this on the pod though..who knows, maybe some wogs and that will reply amongst all the poms.

Must admit, I agree with most of what HFGF says, particularly these parts.

-the anti 'wog' part. If your had an objection to the 'anglo only' attitude, surely none of the A-League clubs would appeal to you. I certainly do not like the way the FFA have shut out some of the most historical clubs in the country either, but no A-League club can claim to be more efnik friendly than another.

-terrible active support. As some one who briefly spent some time living in Perth back in 2001 I was lucky enough to have been in the shed for half an NSL season. I can assure you that the active support was nothing like we had ever seen in this country before. I cant comment on how things are now (from what I can tell things are certainly nowhere near as good as they used to be), but that wont change if people dont start going again and making it what it used to be.

I am not having a go at you mate. Why you chose Heart is your decision, I just dont get why you wouldnt support a club that you can be more involved with and initiate changes.

Your responses more or less go to prove my basic feelings about Glory. I Still regularly attend glory games just to watch football so I am not unaware of the state of the club currently. You're pulling one off case examples out of the bigger picture of glory though.

My point wasn't that the support is entirely British. It was that of the only style of support allowed to be shown. Your comment about wogs responding only serves to prove a point.

Don't get me wrong I am glad Perth has a functioning side in the league but it is the myth that glory is the light that saved Australian football from the dark ages and the steadfast belief that that is so by their supporters that has largely turned me off the club because i see it in a different light. None of your responses are wrong but like I said they are my reasons and I'd be worried if a fan of glory agreed. I just find most of them to be exceptions that prove the general rules in my eyes.

All that being said I honestly think glory will probably come close to winning the league. You've built a great squad for your style of play.

I await the abuse to follow.

Edited by perthheart

Your responses more or less go to prove my basic feelings about Glory. I Still regularly attend glory games just to watch football so I am not unaware of the state of the club currently. You're pulling one off case examples out of the bigger picture of glory though.

My point wasn't that the support is entirely British. It was that of the only style of support allowed to be shown. Your comment about wogs responding only serves to prove a point.

Don't get me wrong I am glad Perth has a functioning side in the league but it is the myth that glory is the light that saved Australian football from the dark ages and the steadfast belief that that is so by their supporters that has largely turned me off the club because user

Perthheart, I dont want to sound like a dick but its basically impossible to explain the Ethnic Tensions at their worst in the NSL to somebody from Perth.

I really dont like the Glory much either but they deserve some respect for showing that the sport could survive with being directly connected to a particular Ethnic Community.

(And I say this as someone who moved from Melbourne to Perth at the start of 1996.)

Edited by cadete

but it is the myth that glory is the light that saved Australian football from the dark ages and the steadfast belief that that is so by their supporters that has largely turned me off the club

You are correct. Their fans certainly did not save Australian football, but they were a ray of sunshine during some pretty dark times.

Please dont take this the wrong way- because honestly I am really not having a crack I am just curious. When you said that British style support is the only style allowed to be shown, did you talk to the guys who run the shed and try to initiate some kind of change in mentality?

I feel you are focussing on the ethnic non-ethnic side too much as well. The primary reasons for not supporting are the football and lack of youth development as well as a supporter culture that doesn't strike me as something I want to be apart of. Never made attempts to change things with the shed as the represent the club for what they are. Why attempt to change a club you don't feel represents you. Fine for them to go about there business just means I wot be involved with supporting that particular club. More power to the guys who do.

I feel you are focussing on the ethnic non-ethnic side too much as well. The primary reasons for not supporting are the football and lack of youth development as well as a supporter culture that doesn't strike me as something I want to be apart of. Never made attempts to change things with the shed as the represent the club for what they are. Why attempt to change a club you don't feel represents you. Fine for them to go about there business just means I wot be involved with supporting that particular club. More power to the guys who do.

I just felt the ethnic thing needed to be expanded on, before I moved to Perth despite being a fan of the game I have only one hazy memory of attending a NSL and it was not with my Anglo family.

TBH I knew of only one person who went to NSL games from my school in Melbourne before I left for Perth.

In Perth I was able to go whenever I liked – TBH I often felt myself supporting the Eastern States teams as an Eastern Stater by I am still grateful towards the Glory for my first real opportunities of seeing games of football in flesh.

Edited by cadete

Can this old vs new soccer debate die already? I arrived in Australia in 2005, so after the NSL's demise. I'm just happy that I have a professional team to support and that Football is slowly edging its way into the AUS mainstream. Everybody has their personal preferences in terms of supporting club x, y or z, who cares! In the end it is the result that counts. Perth is still standing and evolved out of its former NSL identity, what happened to the other NSL clubs? They're all gone!

Where is our youth development this year btw, Garcia, Grella, D-Mac, Tadic were brought in to replace all our youth. It would be great to see another Goodwin playing for us, wouldn't it? That does irritate me, so we focus on youth for two seasons and then we get an Italian coach and suddenly we have an old squad lol.

Also, by supporter culture, you do seem to mean the culture of its supporters and that is BS. I couldn't care less about the background of a particular A-League club's fans. If we had a full stand singing and contributing to a great atmosphere who would ask any questions...? I mean where is the issue here??? What "supporter culture" would you like to see at the shed, maybe if you answered that question honestly we could see what your real motives are here...

Edited by benzema23

I wasn't trying to be abusive or make an ethnic v noin-ethnic issue, I was just disagreeing with some of the comments. Under Sage, love or hate the midget, we have started to develop some great young players and going out of our way to make everything more enjoyable for supporters and to make sure they're heard. We also now primarily play football along the ground now, we don't pander to any supposedly anglo stereotypes that we're percieved to do.

I've posted what was said on our facebook page, should've asked but you get that. WIll post the reactions.

Of the ones in the later years of the NSL (off the top of my head)

South Melbourne

Melbourne Knights

Perth Glory

Adelaide United

Newcastle Jets

Sydney United

Sydney Olympic

Woolongong Wolves

Brisbane Strikers

Prob more, but I cant think of any more right now.

Anyway. This has gone off topic. Maybe we shall leave it

Jesus Christ benzema. Calm down. Not making any reference to the ethnicity of the shed. Supporter culture. Not ethnic background of supporters. I've done nothing but try and down play the ethnic issue. It isn't my going concern. I get bored of the old soccer v new soccer argument. Nor am I an advocate of the old nsl clubs which you seem to be suggesting. Ethnically aligned clubs are rediculous in this country. I am Australian with some Dutch blood so what nsl club would I be secretly yearning for? Brisbane?

Edited by perthheart

Jesus Christ benzema. Calm down. Not making any reference to the ethnicity of the shed. Supporter culture. Not ethnic background of supporters. I've done nothing but try and down play the ethnic issue. It isn't my going concern. I get bored of the old soccer v new soccer argument. Nor am I an advocate of the old nsl clubs which you seem to be suggesting. Ethnically aligned clubs are rediculous in this country. I am Australian with some Dutch blood so what nsl club would I be secretly yearning for? Brisbane?

I'm just taking part in the debate here, if there is a debate here ^^

My question is, was there a point to your initial post then apart from the fact that you don't like Perth Glory and the shed? What was the point of your post then? So you don't like Perth. OK, point taken moving on. You didn't answer my point about youth development though...

I was asked by a forum member to explain why I chose to support heart and how I felt glory didn't engage me. Discussing why I don't support glory is probably my least favourite topic as it usually somehow turns into a debate about ethnic support despite that being only one of my reasons in which was taken drastically out of context.

On the youh dev issue. Having a youth focus does not mean we have to have youth in the first xi at all time. I support the fact that we know that when a young player is ready to step up e will be given the chance and had we not sold our three brightest young prospects in the off season we would still have a core of talented youth. We still have vrankovic and garrucio who I'm sure will be given their chances. Youth development is about developing Players then giving them their chance if they show signs of being capable. Not throwing a bunch of kids in that aren't ready and possibly ruining their careers by sending them in unprepared. All the things I heard in pre season was how exhaustively we trialled youngsters in which garrucio ended up getting the nod for a senior contract if we didn't take it seriously anymore we would have signed a nyl player and never given him a look in all season.

So why I support heart?

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

Don't get me wrong I am glad Perth has a functioning side in the league but it is the myth that glory is the light that saved Australian football from the dark ages and the steadfast belief that that is so by their supporters that has largely turned me off the club because i see it in a different light. None of your responses are wrong but like I said they are my reasons and I'd be worried if a fan of glory agreed. I just find most of them to be exceptions that prove the general rules in my eyes.

All that being said I honestly think glory will probably come close to winning the league. You've built a great squad for your style of play.

I await the abuse to follow.

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

Brilliant posts.

Glory fans consider themselves as god's gift to Ozzie Sokah. Can't stand the muppets, most arrogant bunch of f-wits fans to grace the league.

Racist players, racist fans, jonny come latelys to the league who bought their own success with cheque books. Poached players, never brought along their own talent. Tried to buy 4 titles in the NSL and only managed to get 2. Wollongong coming back against them from 0-3 down in the GF & Besart getting a penalty against them last year are two of my most favorite footballing moments. Couldn't have happened to better bunch of wankers.

Also LOL at Glory Boys being the prototype for the A-Leagues success. Probably the gheyest supporter group name ever invented in human history.

• Like 1

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

Brilliant posts.

Glory fans consider themselves as god's gift to Ozzie Sokah. Can't stand the muppets, most arrogant bunch of f-wits fans to grace the league.

Racist players, racist fans, jonny come latelys to the league who bought their own success with cheque books. Poached players, never brought along their own talent. Tried to buy 4 titles in the NSL and only managed to get 2. Wollongong coming back against them from 0-3 down in the GF & Besart getting a penalty against them last year are two of my most favorite footballing moments. Couldn't have happened to better bunch of wankers.

Also LOL at Glory Boys being the prototype for the A-Leagues success. Probably the gheyest supporter group name ever invented in human history.

One of the Glory's reasons for an immediate pretty strong following from Non Soccer fans was of course the:

"Taking on the Eastern Staters" vibe.

I have to admit I felt it annoying that none of the Western Australians even seemed to notice that after every NSL Season the club would scoop up the best performing players from over in the East:

Halpin, Boutsi, Mori amongst others.

However Vas Kalogeracos story for the first few seasons was a good one.

Edited by cadete