Melbourne Football

Dads Army?

LR9

The Dads:

Bolton, 37 (August), Colosimo, 33, Gray, 31 (October), Thompson, 30 (September), Fred, 33 (August), Macallister, 30, Grella (maybe?), 33 (October)

24-29 bracket:

Gerhardt, 27, Marrone, 25, Tadic, 25 (August), Germano, 24, Williams, 24, Kalmar, 24.

23 - 21 bracket:

Dugandzic, 22, Mebrahtu, 22 (August), Redmayne, 23, Hoffman, 23.

Under 21s:

Nil.

Going, Gong, Gone:

Babalj, 19, Hamill, 19, Good, 19, Behich, 21

Some youth policy we have going on here. All 17 players (+ Vinny) are 22 or older, 7 over 30 and just 6 in that prime 24-29 bracket. Just some food for thought.

Edit: Average age of 27.5, oldest in the league.

Edited by LR9

So 17 players , will be hoping to boost a few younger players to the playing squad (What is the playing squard size?) and that will bring the squad avg down.

dont mind a few older players as it add experience.

The 24-29 bracket: looks promising if Williams decides to play this season and loss a few kilos, as well as the new signings.

Youth is a concern, but hopefully as mention above we boost a few of the younger player ( or keep Eli, Aziz and Curtis)

under21 youth is in theory the easiest to sign up. As they are kids looking for a break. Seems right to me that we would shore up the experienced spine of our team first before others move in then fill up the squad with some emerging talent. Seems we've been trialling a few young guys and taking a proper look at them to see if they can make the grade. Would expect that average to drop with our last few signings. I doubt even JD would have expected all four of our 21's at the end of last season to be moving on before the start of this season. Still may not happen anything could happen with Behich and Good still. So far we have only definitely lost 2 of them and we look to have that Vrankovic kid lined up to replace Hamill already.

• Like 1

Now that we have our core group signed the rest of our players will be youngsters. Hopefully Behich doesn't go.

I must say I'm not overly confident about the new season. Positives of our squad are it's versatility and that half our squad will be in that 22-28 age bracket where players peak. However, I think we lack that bit of quality both down back and up front that you need to set yourself apart from the other teams. Depending on injuries, I think 4th-7th is a realistic expectation of where we'll end up.

Some rather messy thoughts of mine:

Average age On the pitch:

= 28, left side of slash

= 25.36 right side of slash

Average age including the bench:

= 26.73

---------David Williams 24/Golgol Mebrahtu 22-----=-Josip Tadic 25---------Mate Dugandzic 22---------

-----------------------------Matt Thompson 30/Nick Kalmar 24----------Fred 33-----------------------------------

------------------------------------Patrick Gerhardt 27/Jonathan Germano 24----------------------------------

Aziz Behich 21------Steven Gray 31/Patrick Gerhardt 27------Simon Colosimo 33----Michael Marrone 25

---------------------------------------------Clint Bolton 37/Andrew Redmayne 23-----------------------------------

BENCH (assuming team left of the slash is fielded)

Andrew Redmayne 23

Golgol Mebrahtu 22

Nick Kalmar 24

Jonathan Germano 24

RESERVES

Dylan Macallister 30

Jason Hoffman 23

NOT INCLUDING

David Vrankovic 18, who it appears we have signed

and the possible signings of:

Jacob Poscoliero 22

Vince Grella 33

I'm not worried about the age of the squad at all. The forwards are rather young, which is the most important thing IMO. The midfield is young enough, with Gerhardt, Kalmar and Germano balancing Thompson and Fred. The central defensive pairing is old, but I honestly don't see us playing Gray and Colosimo often. It appears we'll play Gerhardt and Colosimo more. Also, like Good from last season, I can easily imagine Vrankovic playing many games paired with Colosimo, Gray or Gerhardt.

Bolton's age skewers the average age significantly. But a goalkeeper's age isn't important at all IMO.

I also agree that we'll promote/sign young players after making all other signings. And the fact that we managed to sign Vrankovic, by all reports a real promising young player, gives me the belief that we'll sign or promote a few players aged 18 to 21 who can do a job. I am a believer in Heart's youth policy, and while we are currently lacking quality youth after selling Babalj, Good and Hamill I believe the club will rectify that very soon.

Edited by Murfy1

Nothing wrong with our players ages at all. Would not consider 24-29 as peak age, I think players peak a little later on average, probably around 27-30. You probably want to have and average first team age around that figure too with a good mixture of experience and youngsters. You will practically never win a league with a team full of under 30s.

Re our 'youth policy,' I think the way we have handled our squad over the first two years and leading into this season is the best way to do things in a salary cap league, especially as we are not rich enough or arrogant enough to demand a title every year. Developing/promoting youngsters, then sell for profit, then build a team that can challenge for a title and repeat. I don't think you can realistically do both at the same time. If we don't win the title this year I could see all those over 30s going and focus being put back on developing youth for a few years.

Anyway, I have faith in JD and JA and their long term goals for this club.

• Like 4

Another thing to consider might be the club's plans for combining NYL and senior training. While the senior squad is getting older, we also seem to be removing some of the separation between the NYL team and the seniors.

While on the one hand, the senior squad is older and more experienced than before, it will be balanced by combining the youth team at training and giving the kids better training and coaching. This should mean the kids are better prepared to step up if needed, as well as giving the coaches a better look at them.

More experience available on match day and better coaching and training for the youth players might be seen as an overall win-win. The only problem could be the danger of our better youth players being pinched before we get them onto senior contracts, like Goodwin.

Edited by Sash

We also want all of the senior squad to be ready for first team football when required. Last year was pretty unusual in having four 18-20 year olds who were completely capable of starting. It shouldn't be surprising that the squad is full of senior players with the youth team being the place for youth.

Last year was pretty unusual in having four 18-20 year olds who were completely capable of starting.

True. When you look at Babalj, Good and Hamill, it will probably be a long time before we have a group of teenagers of that quality again.

Edited by Sash

Retain Germano, and then Kalmar and Thompson only if they have good seasons. Then, maybe Fred on a year by year if he can keep injury free.

Whatever, Tadic is gonna be a monster this year and collect golden boot. The task will be to keep him beyond one year after that.

Matt Thompson is a quality player. Played out of position in the first season and at the start of last season. He was at less than 100% fit in the second part of last season and his performances suffered as a result. Only speculating but he could have been a silent victim of the JVS youth policy. Look forward to him having a great season in midfield (more derby goals?) and hopefully he will get another contract after that.

Well done to the visitor flog (hobbes) who copied and pasted the average age of the squad in the 'f off heart' thread on Tasmanianvisitors.net.

Using rival a source for information which isnt even correct, could walk into a job at the hearld scum with those skills.

Matt Thompson is a quality player. Played out of position in the first season and at the start of last season. He was at less than 100% fit in the second part of last season and his performances suffered as a result. Only speculating but he could have been a silent victim of the JVS youth policy. Look forward to him having a great season in midfield (more derby goals?) and hopefully he will get another contract after that.

More like an obvious victim amongst many others...

You mean the youth policy which has been the club's greatest success and the thing we've done better than probably any other A League club and the thing that's making us more sustainable and why someone like Vrankovic would pick us instead of his hometown club and the thing that will probably provide us with most of our 24 - 30 year old's down the track?

Absolutely Thompson was a victim of being played out of position. But at the beginning of last year it was in preference to, yes that's right, having two teenage CB's - the basis of all the 'too much youth' arguments. The fact that Good/Colosimo and Hamill/Madaschi were the preferred pairings also seems to have no effect on the argument. Now I'm probably going to be painted as a JVS apologist when I also think that he made mistakes, like trying to play Thompson out of position. But the thing is, why does this discussion get raised so often? There's a new coach and a bunch of new players. Can we finally just get over it with our respective opinions accepted? Otherwise the same arguments will keep going around and around in circles.

• Like 3