Melbourne Football

The longest off season in the world?

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

You could model something on the German league cup that basically is just a pre-league tournament... You got a stadium somewhere, a bunch of teams invited that play games. Fans buy whole day tickets enable them to watch three games a day or so while they drift between the bars and the food joints in the area

I  thought it was funny during the Sydney v Chelsea game that one of the commentators said the Chelsea players had four weeks before they resumed training. Can our players really justify being "full time" professionals?

It's all relative isn't it.

AFL players complain that they only have a mere 30 weeks (regular season) without matches a year and are continually lobbing via the media to get their season reduced, as they are so hard done by.  

I  thought it was funny during the Sydney v Chelsea game that one of the commentators said the Chelsea players had four weeks before they resumed training. Can our players really justify being "full time" professionals?

AFL players complain that they only have a mere 30 weeks (regular season) without matches a year and are continually lobbing via the media to get their season reduced, as they are so hard done by.  

Possibly another reason I don't follow AFL? :D

Well to be fair their yearly wage is probably what a Chelsea player makes in a week

You're forgetting that pre-season starts about 6 weeks or something after the Grand Final which is longer, more intense and boring than the training that goes on during the season.  I think most of the talk is surrounding shortening the off-season training to keep older stars in the game rather than shortening the actual season itself.