Melbourne Football

Clint Bolton re-signs with MHFC

markn

Just read an article reading:

EXCLUSIVE: Melbourne Heart assistant Ante Milicic reveals Clint Bolton will re-sign & leaves door ajar to co-coaching with John Aloisi

Full article available from following link:

http://socceranchor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5358:exclusive-melbourne-heart-assistant-ante-milicic-reveals-clint-bolton-will-re-sign-a-leaves-door-ajar-to-co-coaching-with-john-aloisi&catid=58:latest-news&Itemid=169

What does this mean for Mattei?

There is no way 3 keepers can stay on our books. Victory let go of Covic (probably in the top 3 keepers of last season) because they were unable to carry 3 keepers for next season.

Correct me if i'm wrong but didnt we carry 3 keepers this season? or was Roganovic NYL?

Bolton, Mattei, Roganovic.

After Roganovic played the two fill in games at the start of the season, Mattei sat on the bench as number 2.

I never watched the NYL so i cannot answer that for you, but i would guess Mattei would have started. Especially if he was number 2 on match day.

Roganovic was signed as our no. 2 after Bolton. AFAIK Mattei was signed as a NYL (youth) player, along with Tom Dunn. After an undistinguished start, Roganovic was relegated to the NYL and Mattei sat on the A-League bench. All three of Roganovic, Mattei and Dunn had game time in the NYL. It was very late in the season before I found out that Mattei was on loan from MV.

Next year we definitely have Redmayne, and it looks as though Bolton will play on for another year. I expect both to get A-League starts. I expect Mattei will go back to MV, and it's anyone's guess with the NYL team. Tom Dunn is a good prospect, as is Chris Maynard. But if we don't give players game time they're not going to be overkeen to re-sign.

Unless you are a club 'insider' it's hard to know what is going on. The Heart website is so bad - it still shows us as having players who have already left the club, and it never did list our NYL squad. I've no idea why we can't get these sorts of details fixed up, but it seems Heart HQ just doesn't care.

tl;dr.

But if he's coaching, fine, if he's playing, that sucks. We want Redders, We want Redders, We want Redders! He'll go mental if he ends up 2nd choice at his 3rd club in a row.

FWIW I completely agree. Redmayne should be no. 1 and Bolton no. 2. Bolton's a bloody good bloke to have around the club in all sorts of capacities, but we need to plan for the future in the GK position and surely that must be Redmayne.

Whyj ust hand the bloke 27 starts just like that...?

That's not how MH operate, Redders will earn every minute he plays.

Also I don't know why this thread had to really be made, there are already both a Bolton and Redmayne thread...

Ya sure?

Can see him being fine with not getting starts if Redders is out performing him. But there will be big issues if he's just handed the number 1 shirt.

Yeah of course.

i would like to see Bolton be largely a 'mentor' in pre-season, and Redders given the #1 spot for the first few weeks.

Not doing well - Replace him with Bolton after showing faith in him early on ( IIRC similar to how Man Utd 'rested' De Gea and got Lindegaard to keep for a short while)

Doing well - IMO Bolton would be pleased to still be working in and around the club, and also helping Redders reach his max potential.

If you listen to what Sydney fans have to say, Bolton caused alot of squad problems when he was relagated to 2nd choice keeper up there.

Not sure he would be very happy sevring as a 2nd choice behind Redders at all.

Edited by FB.

If you listen to what Sydney fans have to say, Bolton caused alot of squad problems when he was relagated to 2nd choice keeper up there.

Not sure he would be very happy sevring as a 2nd choice behind Redders at all.

That's just something that the club is going to have to manage if they re-sign Bolton. When you have 23 players vying for 11 starting spots you have to have coaching staff who have the right set of man-management skills to handle these sorts of situations. Let's just hope Didulica has his eyes open.

Roganovic never sat on the bench after his poor spell early in the year.

If mattei was a loan i dont think he will be going back to Victory, as they already released covic due to surplus.

At the end of the day we dont need to carry 3 keepers on the senior list. 2 is fine. we can carry 2 youth keepers and promote one to the bench if need be (injury etc). Or we can get a short term loan from another club.

Would like to see Bolton start the season allowing Redmayne the time to adjust and learn the Heart way of things (though I imagine it wont be overly difficult) and for a transition from Bolton to Redmayne.

Would think that if Bolton is benched for Redmayne he could handle it now given it's coming on the end of his career, but who knows, Redmayne is our future, All I hope is he is given the chance to find his feet instead of us throwing him in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have brought this thread back to the top to allow the Josip Tacic thread to get back to discussing, well, Josip Tadic.

Careful with your spelling there...or you'll be banned.

We signed Redmayne back in January because it was widely expected that Bolton would retire at the end of 2011-12, and we knew that we would not keep either Mattei or Roganovic. It was pretty clear at the time that Redders was intended to be our no. 1 GK for the current season.

Bolton failed to get the media gig he wanted, changed his mind, was offered and signed a one-year extension, and left Redmayne high and dry. We have two good young keepers in the youth squad - Bray and Maynard - but now they face being left on the sidelines because Redmayne needs some game time.

Last year because Mattei and Roganovic played in the NYL, Tom Dunn had almost no game time and he was not re-signed for this current season.

I don't want to see this happen to Bray and Maynard.

We need to get ourselves a succession plan and stick to it.

All those with uninformed opinions should get down to training or an NYL game before trowing him into your 'My best XI'.

Redders was shithouse on Sunday, spilled plenty and conceded 4 - 2 of which should have been saved - and his attempt at defending a penalty was deplorable.

Edited by LR9

All those with uninformed opinions should get down to training or an NYL game before trowing him into your 'My best XI'.

Redders was shithouse on Sunday, spilled plenty and conceded 4 - 2 of which should have been saved - and his attempt at defending a penalty was deplorable.

I was not saying Redders is better than Bolton or other the other way around. What I and others were saying was the fact that our defense doesn't look that amazing and could use some improvement. Many teams including us invest in attack and midfield more than their defense. The mentality of outscoring you're opponent seems to be dominanting

• 2 weeks later...