Melbourne Football

Premiers Plate vs GF Champion / Finals

Torn Asunder

To bring the A-League more inline with Football worldwide, the team that finishes top should be recognised as the Champions of the A-League (as opposed to the winner of the GF being titled the Champion).

The Finals are still a good thing and they align perfectly with the sporting culture of Australia, so they should be retained. However the finals series should be classed as a different competition, for instance, the A-League Cup.

Finally, there should also be a FA style knockout cup, involving all clubs across Australia (& potentially NZ).

Asian spots could then be decided by allocating a spot for each of the three trophies. If a club doubles or triples up in winning trophies, or is not eligble (NZ club), then that spot would go to the runner up, and if the runner up already has an Asian spot, then second place getter for the league would qualify for the ACL spot.

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1

Final Series is fine. you can't beat a knockout comp imo yes i know its a little different to a fa cup or a champs league knockout

the only time FFA should even THINK about getting rid of the final series is when a cup is introduced where the final is played after the season has finished

which is still probably a few years away and shouldnt be rushed like every other thing the FFA have done

the team that finishes top should be recognised as the Champions of the A-League

I completely agree with this.

I really don't like the finals system to be honest. It's unfair on CCM that no one will remember them this year even though they have been the best and most consistent team and deserve to be champions.

That said the league needs finals at the moment, it would probably die without it. Finals positions was the only thing that 8/10 teams were playing for just about the whole last half of the season.

I would like to see the finals replaced by a cup, so we can still have a big final, but we need to find a way to stop matches involving teams not challenging for the title, lose importance.

but we need to find a way to stop matches involving teams not challenging for the title, lose importance.

we will only be able to replace the finals when we have two tiers. the only way you keep teams at the bottom playing competitive football is when they have to fight for survival....

we will only be able to replace the finals when we have two tiers. the only way you keep teams at the bottom playing competitive football is when they have to fight for survival....

True, I was going to mention relegation but that only really gives the bottom 2-5 teams incentive. I also think relegation would be at least 10+ years away if I'm being very optimistic, probably 20+. I think setting up a second division without promotion for a few years until it was stable would be a good first step to a relegation/promotion system.

You would also need something like Asian qualification for the top half to battle for but we only get 3 spots and I would assume one would go to the FFA cup winners.

In other words, I think we are going to be stuck with finals for a while yet.