Melbourne Football

Photography

bazzatron

At least I know how much to charge you for all my photos that appear on this website now

Lol.

Fwiw, the guy is in Thailand, that's probably a decent amount of money for him for a photo he never thought he would ever get a cent for.

Would have gone to at least US$15 though, poor negotiating by him.

Not that I don't respect a photographer's time/skill, but because I can get a stock photo for $10, which would be of higher quality, it's just this photo was easier to use because we'd already included it in the design as a placeholder with plans to replace it with a stock image on the actual site.

At least I know how much to charge you for all my photos that appear on this website now

Lol.

Fwiw, the guy is in Thailand, that's probably a decent amount of money for him for a photo he never thought he would ever get a cent for.

Not that I don't respect a photographer's time/skill, but because I can get a stock photo for $10, which would be of higher quality, it's just this photo was easier to use because we'd already included it in the design as a placeholder with plans to replace it with a stock image on the actual site.

Yeah I don't have any issues with that kind of thing, if somebody wants to provide something of theirs for free then thats completely up to them. I realised a long long time ago that theres no money to be made out of the hobby, just heaps of money to be lost on buying gear. 

Supply and demand etc

Edited by hedaik

Lol.

Yeah I don't have any issues with that kind of thing, if somebody wants to provide something of theirs for free then thats completely up to them. I realised a long long time ago that theres no money to be made out of the hobby, just heaps of money to be lost on buying gear. 

Supply and demand etc

Haha. $10?! Bloody hell. Photographers are like hookers. You can either compete on price and battle it out with the sluts giving it away for free or you can learn what the people willing to pay decent money want. 

Or you can keep your dignity and just do it for love. 

I realised a long long time ago that theres no money to be made out of the hobby, just heaps of money to be lost on buying gear. 

Oh and for the record  ;)

This Photographer Just Made $15K In One Day On Instagram

Arnold didn’t have a clue how he was going to make rent for the following month, so, at midnight, he posted this message on Instagram

Hello, I just turned 34 this second. For one day only I am selling 4×6 prints of whatever you want from my Instagram archive for $150 each. I swear I will never sell anything this cheap again. If you’re interested, send a screenshot of the photo(s) of your choice to arnoldaniel@gmail.com (one d) and I will send a paypal invoice, followed by a signed print. Easy peasy. Happy my birthday. I love you

The response overwhelmed him. Orders poured in. A day later, he’d received nearly $15,000 worth of requests, and collected some $5,000. One buyer offered him $1,000 up front for prints of any photo that had received more than 1,000 likes; Arnold still hasn’t tallied how many that is.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2014/03/07/this-photographer-made-15k-in-one-day-on-instagram/

*Strong quoting skills, but you get the point lol

Edited by KSK_47

• 4 weeks later...

Suggest me a camera. Basically the minimum I have to spend to get something that is still worth getting (noticeably better than a high end phone camera)

I can't suggest any cameras, but if youve narrowed down a few I'd suggest looking at dpreview.com for reviews and do a search on flickr by camera type to get an idea on the quality. 

If I was going in blind into a shop I'd probably just buy whatever Canon camera was in my price range. 

Do you want DSLR?

Yes.

Do you want Interchangeable lenses?

I don't understand enough about photography currently to know if I do, but I'm guessing I do. I actually assumed all DSLR had interchangeable lenses.

Do you want wifi capability?

I imagine it will cost more and I won't use it because it will be slow, so I guess not.

EDIT: I assumed this was just for transferring photos to computer, but then it occurred to me wifi could also mean it's a 'smart' camera and it provides extra functions and has apps etc., if that's the case then maybe depending on the advantages.

If you want to save a bit of cash, look at Pentax.

Can get similar specs to Canon/Nikon with a fair saving.

yeah, I saw sort of aware of this from the very little research I had done.

Edited by Tesla

If you're after a dSLR, then invest most of your money into the lens rather than the body itself. You might have a great camera, but its only as good as the glass in front of it and if you're using a kit lens it will be no better than a point and shoot.

I always recommend the Olympus micro 4/3rd system which is what I use and is just as good as any dSLR using comparable priced setups, they are lighter and smaller which makes it easier to use and means you're more likely to use it. They only lack the same range of higher grade professional lenses which 99% of people can't afford anyway.

• Like 1

Really depends on what sort of photography you are interested in.

How serious you going to get.

You going to carry it often then consider something smaller then full body DSLR

Every brand has great bodies. It's the glass that could cost you a lot depending on your requirements

Think it over carefully as you start collecting lenses and accessories, it will be difficult to change systems if you decide you made the wrong choice.

A lot of the micro four thirds cameras like the Olympus OM-D and the Nikon J1 or V1 are non SLR and have interchangeable lenses.

Hedaik uses an Olympus OM-D for most of his @historyofmhfc work.

The benefit is small form factor and the versatility of interchangeable lenses.

Samsung Galaxy Camera is basically a camera with high MP that runs android.

Wifi dongles and wifi SD cards can be used with laptop or smartphone to sync the photos as you take them to the cloud. I have a wifi SD card in my camera

I assume you're going to need it for work and then probably use it for personal stuff(streaming webcam, upskirting, etc). I'd say get a low end Nikon 5200, 5300(or Canon equiv.) in a 1 or 2 lense kit and then get a nice little 35mm lense(~$250) which you will probably use for portraits and products etc.

Whats your budget, $500, $1000, $1500?

If you are wanting to get the feel for a DSLR and dont want to spend a shit load I would recommend a Canon 450D with twin lens kit. Off the top of my head it costs something like $1500.

Not the best quality, has a crop sensor, does not handle low light very well and "serious" photographers won't take you seriously but a good starting out camera IMO.

It's what I used to shoot the first two seasons of History of MHFC.

I assume you're going to need it for work and then probably use it for personal stuff(streaming webcam, upskirting, etc). I'd say get a low end Nikon 5200, 5300(or Canon equiv.) in a 1 or 2 lense kit and then get a nice little 35mm lense(~$250) which you will probably use for portraits and products etc.

Whats your budget, $500, $1000, $1500?

Not really sure on budget, that's what I was trying to figure out with my post, but it's looking like I have to spend $500-1000 to get started? Then I can buy additional lenses etc. as I go.

Don't mind paying more if it's worth it, would probably just delay buying it a bit longer though.

Edited by Tesla

6D is a full frame camera

Fantastic unit but glass for it will be worth lots of $$$$$$

Body + couple of lenses will set you back over 4k

I would only consider this after being very comfortable with DX camera

Each to their own

If you are looking to buy something more long term, hold out and buy a Canon 6D. Body only will set you back roughly $1700 but if you are wanting to get serious (even if it's a little later on down the track) would highly recommend.

I wouldn't mind spending that much if I knew it's something I will use regularly, right now I have no idea if that will be the case.

Maybe I should look at grabbing something second hand to start with, that way if I don't like it I can sell it for not much of a loss, but looking at some of the second hand prices on ebay they're almost as much as brand new

• Like 1

Here is a PERFECT example of why some of the most technically gifted photographers are unheard of. The reason is, because many photographers invest so heavily into making sure their lines are perfect and their highlights are not overcooked that they're are forgetting the most important element of photography. Interest.

Most people dont give a shit about technical skills. Most are more interested in what they feel when viewing a photographers work. This is where being good at psychology far outweighs being good with gear, and if you want to talk about a master in this area you need to look no further than Brandon Stanton, founder of the blog Humans of New York.

His secret. Confidence, basically.

• Like 3

Here is a PERFECT example of why some of the most technically gifted photographers are unheard of. The reason is, because many photographers invest so heavily into making sure their lines are perfect and their highlights are not overcooked that they're are forgetting the most important element of photography. Interest.

Most people dont give a shit about technical skills. Most are more interested in what they feel when viewing a photographers work. This is where being good at psychology far outweighs being good with gear, and if you want to talk about a master in this area you need to look no further than Brandon Stanton, founder of the blog Humans of New York.

His secret. Confidence, basically.

Oh my god how was I unaware of this guy's website.

So much LOLs http://www.humansofnewyork.com/post/74948353135/the-russians-run-an-underground-fighting-league

Hahahaha, fuck, best website on the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

New York City photographed with the Game Boy Camera in 2000

Back in 2000, I was playing around with a Game Boy Camera, trying to use it to take color photos. (I finally got that to work.) When I first got the camera, I took a walk through midtown taking pictures. I just came across the images and thought I’d share them here for posterity (scaled up to 200% for visibility on our fancy modern displays).

http://www.ironicsans.com/2014/05/new_york_city_in_2000_photogra.html

DF_GAMEBOY_BENCH.jpg

DF_GAMEBOY_TAXIS.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...