Melbourne Football

Photography

bazzatron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
A strongly worded letter has gotten a surprising amount of attention in photography circles recently. It was written by UK musician Whitey (aka. NJ White) in response to a TV producer who requested to use his work for free, and it’s gotten popular because, even though it was written by a musician, photographers really seem to love Whitey’s no BS response to a request many of them are familiar with

http://petapixel.com/2013/11/12/musicians-letter-becomes-template-telling-publishes-want-work-free/

whitey.jpg

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

Guys, what would you recommend as a decent wide-angle.. non-professional but does the job?

I'm assuming you want a kit from scratch. 

I can't really give a subjective answer as I don't really read up on camera gear but the micro four thirds system from Olympus & Panasonic is what I use and might be worth looking at. Cheap enough for people on a budget, but allows you to buy lenses in the future if you really get into it. 

http://www.teds.com.au/olympus-pen-e-pm2

Best just to read up as much as you can on forums until you get a pretty good grasp of what suits you....the fredmiranda forums I found pretty useful with lens reviews. 

Edited by hedaik

I am doing a bit of assisting at the moment and I found this article to be very insightful. Not that I think I am anywhere near this stage yet, but its a good thing to keep in mind.

How to Know When It’s Time to Make the Jump from Assistant to Professional Photographer

Shinn says the reason many assistants are unable to transition is because they get too comfortable. They get to travel on someone else’s dime, meet and work with talented people, and earn rates that provide a measure of security. “You’re seeing assistants who don’t even want to shoot,” he says. But for those with any aspirations to become photographers, his advice is simple: “Get in, learn what you can and get out. Or you start getting bitter.”

http://www.pdnonline.com/features/How-to-Know-When-It-9541.shtml

Edited by KSK_47

In a landmark legal win that promises to reverberate throughout the photo community, Daniel Morel has been awarded $1.2 million in statutory damages - the maximum amount possible under the Copyright Act - in his lawsuit against Getty Images and AFP.

http://petapixel.com/2013/11/23/daniel-morel-awarded-1-2m-damages-law-suit-afp-getty-images/

In my newsfeed of late I have noticed there have been a lot of articles with titles such as "these are not photographs" or "10 images that you wont believe are actually drawings". Yes, it would seem that hyper-realistic drawing/painting is having a bit of an insurgence and with it comes reader comments such as "This is real art! All photographers do is press a button! This actually takes skill!" I have also noticed that photographers- particularly composite photographers (photoshopers) are copping a lot of criticism for being too fake."Nothing is real anymore! This is not photography! This is digital art"

I find this attitude to be pretty funny considering the camera was invented so people didnt have to spend so much of their time making paintings that looked real. If you wanted something that looked real, you took a photo. This meant that painters were free to explore more expressive and experimental styles and create art- something that photographers were apparently incapable of. 

Irony is alive and well.

drawings1.jpg 

Art

1441464_399694716829114_462052712_n.jpg

Photography

• 2 weeks later...

I usually have a blanket $100 rule (although I did sell 2 photos to City of Perth in the past for $800 as I knew they had money to burn), but I knew Yarra Trams wouldn't want to spend anything on an image for public transport to a Heart game so dropped it to $40 to make it a bit more attractive. 

• 2 weeks later...

100 Year old negs found in a block of ice in Antarctica

For the past 100 years, a box of never-before-seen negatives has been preserved in a block of ice in Antarctica. Recently, Conservators of the New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust came across the 22 exposed, but unprocessed, cellulose nitrate negatives during an attempt to restore an old exploration hut.

The negatives are believed to be from Ernest Shackleton's 1914-1917 Ross Sea Party, a group that was stranded in the hut during a blizzard when their ship blew out to sea. They were eventually rescued, but the box remained buried until now.

A Wellington photography conservator carefully processed the negatives in order to reveal the historic mysteries on each frame. Though slightly damaged, the incredible images give us a rare glimpse of adventurers from the past. AHT Executive Director Nigel Watson says, “It’s the first example that I’m aware of, of undeveloped negatives from a century ago from the Antarctic heroic era. There’s a paucity of images from that expedition.”

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/antarctica-conservators-discover-100-year-old-negatives

PreservedPhotosRossSeaParty2.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The Color Run Sues College Photographer After He Asks for Compensation for Image

college-photographer-sued-by-the-color-r

1008764_1392330910.7578_multi-710x400.jp

“The Best, the Biggest…The Happiest 5k on the Planet” is how the Color Run likes to describe itself to its 2.6 million Facebook fans. But don’t let that fool you. The company is suing 21 year old photographer, Maxwell Jackson, because he claims they used his photo illegally. Say what?

Jackson went to one of The Color Run events in Miami in 2012 with some friends from his photography club at Florida Atlantic University, where he is still a student. He photographed the event and posted the images online. He was then approached by Scott Winn, who identified himself as the Photo Director of The Color Run. Winn asked Jackson for permission to use his photos on their Facebook page and said that they would even give him “photo credit wherever (his) photos are used.” As a new photographer, Jackson felt this would be a great way to get some exposure. “I was a new photographer and this amazing new company was offering to feature MY photos on THEIR page!” Who would have thought that would take a tun for the worse.

July of 2013 comes around and Jackson is walking around a Sports Authority in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania (no where near Miami) when he was actually handed a flyer featuring HIS photos. On top of the flyer having his images on them without his consent or knowledge, The Color Run did not even give him credit for taking the pictures. Jackson even stated that they are still using his photos on their main websites, such as TheColorRun.co.uk, and even more international sites. Not cool (or legal?).

The photos have also been featured in the U.S. News, Baltimore Sun Times, and by companies such as Coca-Cola. “There are thousands of individual websites all over the WORLD wrongfully using my photos as provided by The Color Run.”

Jackson contacted The Color Run to try and receive compensation for the misuse of HIS photos. He instead received a response from Travis Lyman Snyder, owner and founder of The Color Run, which said he “would rather spend $500,000 on lawyers than be extorted by (Jackson).”

http://fstoppers.com/the-color-run-counter-sues-college-photographer-after-he-asks-for-compensation-for-image

Ive read a few shady things about the color run over the last couple of years. They sound dodgy as fuck.

Yeah. Although, apparently the guy was making ridiculous demands for compensation (something like 100K and a few other things). Still, its pretty fucked that something like this can turn so ugly

Update- sounds like the photographer is a total basket case! Lol.

But even so, they used his image outside the agreed conditions without notifying him.

The Color Run has responded to our request for comment with a formal letter from Color Run Founder Travis Snyder himself. We are reprinting the letter here in its entirety, but you can also read it on the Color Run website if you wish:

Hi, this is Travis Snyder.

I wanted to respond personally to this matter. As the founder of The Color Run, I’ve had the opportunity to work with many successful creative partnerships of all sizes, including amazing photographers. I respect their ability to capture the essence of our event and fully believe that they deserve attribution for their work to showcase their talents. This issue with Max is a single anomaly and quite frankly makes me sad. Max first came to shoot The Color Run because we granted his school class non-commercial access to come shoot the race in Miami where the photos in question were taken. After this, Max actually ended up working our events over the next year as a non-photographer and traveling and setting up with our traveling teams.

About a year later, Max first initiated questions about the use of some of the Miami photos. We sat down and genuinely tried to reach an amicable solution, including offering financial compensation and exposure through our networks. Our offers were declined, and met with the following demands:(language taken from legal filings)

-”$100,000.00 US deposited into my business bank account” (This amount went on to be raised by Max to $300,000).

-”To be named the Official Photography Sponsor of The Color Run (Globally) for the remainder of its existence.”

-”Max Jackson Logo to be added in sponsors section on the bottom of all web pages”

-”My name to read at the bottom of any TCR photo’s used in legible print from the next print run forward as, Photograph by Max Jackson”

-”if no efforts are made within 15 days, to contact me I will be forced to take further action”

Understandably, these demands were quite difficult. They went far outside professional compensation and credit for photography work. We discussed other options, and ultimately when Max said he was planning to sue rather than continue a dialogue, there was little option left but to defend our rights through the legal system. I have been and will continue to be at the table to visit about how to resolve this outstanding issue.

http://petapixel.com/2014/02/14/color-run-sues-photog-demanding-payment-widely-distributed-photo/

Edited by KSK_47

ku-xlarge.jpg

A look inside a pro sport (amongst other things) photographers kit bag

Jeff Cable is a Bay Area photographer who has travelled the globe taking pictures, including coverage of the last three Olympic Games in Beijing, Vancouver, and London. Cable is about to head to Sochi to cover the 2014 Winter Olympics, where he'll be blogging about his experience. To kick things off, Jeff published a rundown of all the gear he brings along to get the job done.

Cameras:

Three Canon 1DX cameras and a 5D Mark III.

Lenses:

Canon 100-400mm
Canon 70-200mm
Canon 24-105mm
Canon 24-70mm
Canon 16-35mm
Canon 8-15mm fish eye
Canon 1.4x teleconverter

http://gizmodo.com/all-the-gear-an-olympic-photographer-is-bringing-to-soc-1513322659

Edited by KSK_47

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...