Melbourne Football

Smartphone discussion

perthheart

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB for $569 - Australia's best price, save over $300.

http://www.kogan.com..._term=View Deal

I was going to go on a plan for $60 p/m = $1440 over 24mts

However, TPG have really cheap month to month plans, one of which is $17.99 p/m, which gives $550 + Unlimited calls and 1.5G of data. No lock in contracts, but there is a one off $40 admin fee when you first join up.

$569 + $40 + 17.99 x 24 = 1040 over the same period. Win!

Edit: is it worth the extra $60 for the 32GB when SD cards are so cheap?

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

http://www.kogan.com..._term=View Deal

I was going to go on a plan for $60 p/m = $1440 over 24mts

However, TPG have really cheap month to month plans, one of which is $17.99 p/m, which gives $550 + Unlimited calls and 1.5G of data. No lock in contracts, but there is a one off $40 admin fee when you first join up.

$569 + $40 + 17.99 x 24 = 1040 over the same period. Win!

Edit: is it worth the extra $60 for the 32GB when SD cards are so cheap?

live connected > TPG

They are basically the 2 cheapest. Live connected worked out cheaper for me when I signed up so have a look, they both use the optus network so there isnt any difference there, and havent had any problems with LC's side of things.

live connected > TPG

They are basically the 2 cheapest. Live connected worked out cheaper for me when I signed up so have a look, they both use the optus network so there isnt any difference there, and havent had any problems with LC's side of things.

Cheers man might get that, its a little better. Are you on the $17.99 deal too?

Not sure if you know, but if someone else calls you and they are on Optus does it qualify as 'Optus to Optus'?

P.S. Look at they bright side, I will have $900 a month of 'LC to LC' to call you with. ;)

Cheers man might get that, its a little better. Are you on the $17.99 deal too?

Not sure if you know, but if someone else calls you and they are on Optus does it qualify as 'Optus to Optus'?

P.S. Look at they bright side, I will have $900 a month of 'LC to LC' to call you with. ;)

I'm on an old plan, its like $16 or $16.99 a month

I doubt it counts as Optus to Optus.

Yeah LOL @ 'LC to LC', doubt I have ever used any of that.

Nope. Only Optus proper and Boostâ„¢ count towards it. Woolworths, TPG etc definitely don't. I asked the Dick at the Optus shop yesterday.

How much did you pay BH? Looking to get an S3 myself.

Went on the 59 cap. Would be 65 but Im an existing Optus customer.

Had a look around. Telstra is uncompetitive on price, Vodafone is similar in value etc but customer service and reception are my major issues with them.

Telstra is uncompetitive on price

Telstra is very competitive in price if you are looking for a good quality service, because they are the only provider. They could probably get away with charging even more if they wanted too as they are basically in a monopoly position when it comes to high quality service mobile service. Though it is expensive for personnel use if you arent balling, but for business and those who have and are willing to spend the money its pretty much the only way to go.

Having said that, I am on the most poverty of all providers, so obviously I dont mind sacrificing a decent service for $50/month saving. Just ranting cause I hate that we only have 3 networks in this country, and 1 is for CEOs, while the other I dont understand how they are even still operating given their network over the last few years.

Anyway, anyone have any idea when does the new iphone come out? Need to buy an iphone but its a pretty gay time to do so in terms of getting good value. Once a new one comes out, should be able to get the old one cheaper or at least be getting the new one for the high price.

• 2 weeks later...

Telstra is very competitive in price if you are looking for a good quality service, because they are the only provider. They could probably get away with charging even more if they wanted too as they are basically in a monopoly position when it comes to high quality service mobile service. Though it is expensive for personnel use if you arent balling, but for business and those who have and are willing to spend the money its pretty much the only way to go.

Having said that, I am on the most poverty of all providers, so obviously I dont mind sacrificing a decent service for $50/month saving. Just ranting cause I hate that we only have 3 networks in this country, and 1 is for CEOs, while the other I dont understand how they are even still operating given their network over the last few years.

Anyway, anyone have any idea when does the new iphone come out? Need to buy an iphone but its a pretty gay time to do so in terms of getting good value. Once a new one comes out, should be able to get the old one cheaper or at least be getting the new one for the high price.

where I live, you pretty much got no choice, but to be with telstra...

On my galaxy 3, I'm losing about 30-40% of battery over night, is this normal?

My WiFi and Bluetooth are switched off but my phone is using almost 60% of battery on cell standby.

Put your phone on Aeroplane/Flight mode overnight...

See how much it uses.

If it's still outrageous, check if you have many background apps running, and if you do, kill them, and try it overnight again.

There's really no way of knowing what it is, or why, unless you try to eliminate options one at a time.

Its a Deep Sleep issue with the CPU. Sounds like Samsung have fucked up the automatic CPU governing. The CPU should slow itself down to a really low speed while phone is in sleep mode(screen switched off). After a bit of googling, people are downloading "SetCPU" and adjusting the cpu settings that way to make it more efficient. Should have a got a HTC OneX sits in Standby mode like a charm.

Its a Deep Sleep issue with the CPU. Sounds like Samsung have fucked up the automatic CPU governing. The CPU should slow itself down to a really low speed while phone is in sleep mode(screen switched off). After a bit of googling, people are downloading "SetCPU" and adjusting the cpu settings that way to make it more efficient. Should have a got a HTC OneX sits in Standby mode like a charm.

P.s. my Sony X10 did the same thing. Samsung will most likely push out an update to correct it.

Oooh you got the new one? Show me next time you see me. I was tempted to get one, but promised myself I'd only get a HTC android. I got suckered in by my Sony X10 specs only to be disappointed.

Indeed.

Will do, remind me if I forget.

Was going to go with the GS2 (this was in January, and I was gonna jump on the bandwagon), but had the option of getting the Razr for $0 on a plan that was $10 cheaper...

Very very impressed with the whole thing.

Also, really like Motorola's UI, despite all the criticism it has got.

Aaand, Optus finally releasing ICS on it.

4.04 - Optus Approved - Awaiting Manufacturer

'A survey by research firm IDC showed Samsung shipped 50.2 million smartphones globally in the April-June period, while Apple sold 26 million iPhones. IDC said Samsung held 32.6 per cent of the market to 16.9 per cent for Apple.'

'Samsung is the leading maker of smartphones using Google's Android operating system, which has become the most popular platform despite complaints from Apple that it has infringed on its patents.'

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/apple-samsung-case-heads-to-jury-in-us/story-e6frf7k6-1226455431591

lol who cares, they pay $1bn they will eventually make another $325823592 billion out of this. They are now the top smart phone maker and their brand seems to have increased in reputation across the board. Now Samsung is considered the top brand for everything it seems. People creaming themselves over Samsung TVs etc., and it seems to me to have happened about the time they blew up for phones.

$1bn is pocket change compared to the benefits they have accrued, the only problem is the potential injunction stopping them from selling the products.

Also I bet the jury was full of iPhags, which explains the verdict.

• Like 1

Also I bet the jury was full of iPhags, which explains the verdict.

THIS!

Also, did you chaps see:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/morning_call/2012/08/south-korea-court-weighs-in-on-samsung.html

TLDR: South Korean Court found that Apple has infringed upon 2 of Samsung's Patents and Samsung has infringed on 1 of Apple's.

Outcome:

the court has banned sales in South Korea of Apple’s iPhone 4 and iPad 2, Samsung’s Galaxy SII and Galaxy Nexus smartphones and Galaxy Tab and Galaxy 10.1 tablet computers.

stock up on Motorola Mobility shares chaps...

If samsung does indeed suffer... Motorola Mobility (now owned by Google) will soar! Motorola hardware is rock solid and now that they have the backing by the worlds greatest mobile OS. can only be a win win.

ASUS is a dark horse to look out for too.

Better tip would be to buy Samsung shares, market would have already priced in the results of the law suit, and since its my opinion that most people are overestimating how bad this is for Samsung, it would mean their share price is cheaper than it should be.