Melbourne Football

RD 23 | Away to Adelaide Friday 11 March 7.30pm

Dylan

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 3:55 AM, belaguttman said:

Yes, and Malik can only do what he does because of the positioning and movement of the 2 CBs behind him and the other DM next to him.If only we could have that structure and movement every game. This allows Malik to be good

The difference is Bela Malik is a proper defensive midfielder, Paartalu wasn't. Of course he helped in scoring goals, but it left us open at the back. It all comes down to what is required for the team. For me a defensive midfielder like Malik is what we needed.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, silva10 said:

The difference is Bela Malik is a proper defensive midfielder, Paartalu wasn't. Of course he helped in scoring goals, but it left us open at the back. It all comes down to what is required for the team. For me a defensive midfielder like Malik is what we needed.

Paartalu is at least the equal of Malik in many regards. Malik is lucky enough to have Wilkinson behind him who is easily the best cd to pull on a city or heart jersey. The team also seems to be setup as a more compact unit in the last few games.

19 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

Paartalu is at least the equal of Malik in many regards. Malik is lucky enough to have Wilkinson behind him who is easily the best cd to pull on a city or heart jersey. The team also seems to be setup as a more compact unit in the last few games.

For me Paartalu was never a defensive midfielder. He wasn't quick enough to stop the counter attacks of the opposition. He was much better going forward and at set pieces.

Malik is more like a Makelele who was the ultimate defensive midfielder.

Edited by silva10

On 12/03/2016 at 7:23 PM, Defibrillator said:

SF, as one of the more "negative" posters on here, I think you need to understand that people look at football in many ways. I myself look at it (at the risk of sounding like a total wanker - let rip!) as a form of advanced problem solving. Fix the obvious issues and mistakes and success will follow. I go to watch games to look at the problems, how we are dealing with them and if we can fix them to get success. I like it as an academic exercise. If the problems are sorted then a group of professionals are doing what they should be doing and I feel I don't need to comment on that. A case in point was last weekend. Our midfield was slaughtered in the first half, but  anyone who said as much on here was often branded a heretic. 

Even when we win, if I feel there are problems I will comment. In my mind I don't feel I'm negative - I just want this team to strive to be the best they can be every week. And I can assure you - I enjoy our success as much as anyone else and revel in our moments. 

Fwiw, last night was one of our best performances I've seen - I loved it!  But until we do that every week and there are problems that are obvious to me, I'll keep posting away. There are many ways, perspectives and philosophies to look at the same game - we don't always have to agree. 

And, as someone that didn't play any soccer past under 9s and didn't regularly attend any games until I joined the Heart as a member in season 3 (but I've always had a soft spot for the EPL etc.), that's actually the analysis that I love and that I come on here to read. A big reason I come on here is to find out things I didn't know about the game, or about our team.

What gets my nose out of joint is that there seems to be a lot of posts in the week before a game against a good opponent (and especially after a bad loss) that are basically "We shouldn't bother turning up, we have absolutely no chance to win and you're an idiot if you think otherwise." That's not analysis; that's just being a dickhead.

27 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

Malik is lucky enough to have Wilkinson behind him who is easily the best cd to pull on a city or heart jersey. The team also seems to be setup as a more compact unit in the last few games.

Interesting. That must be the reason why Malik can go into centre field, intercept passes, gain possession and pressure the opposition into errors. In other words he is playing as a good DM should. Wilkinson has nothing to do with that. Malik is doing a much better job.

As for Partaalu's scoring ability, well I recon it's cancelled out all the goals we conceded because of his lack of ability and discipline.

Malik is a much better player.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Interesting. That must be the reason why Malik can go into centre field, intercept passes, gain possession and pressure the opposition into errors. In other words he is playing as a good DM should. Wilkinson has nothing to do with that. Malik is doing a much better job.

As for Partaalu's scoring ability, well I recon it's cancelled out all the goals we conceded because of his lack of ability and discipline.

10/10 agree with this.

Malik took a few weeks to settle but has been really good in the last two games in particular.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Partly agree. Malik is a better DM but the movement he's allowed is in part determined by the positioning of the 2 CBs and vice versa so I don't think that its helpful to look at Malik's contribution beyond individual skill without also looking at his role within the defensive structure and system

• Like 2

yeah I still have an expectation that a midfielder playing mostly in the middle third ought to make more than 3 out of 4 passes.

Maybe that's my old age showing up from a time when a midfielder was a "link man" linking defense and attack.  Maybe its enough these days to intercept and make a tackle and do it in the middle of the park and then you can call yourself a midfielder.  

Personally I'd never pick such a player to play in the midfield, but I'm not the coach.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Partly agree. Malik is a better DM but the movement he's allowed is in part determined by the positioning of the 2 CBs and vice versa so I don't think that its helpful to look at Malik's contribution beyond individual skill without also looking at his role within the defensive structure and system

Partaalu had the same opportunities but continually failed. He had lesser impact in the middle and he was there for long enough to develop chemistry with his team to be able link up well, but many times his disposal was errant and he didn't have the smarts to fall back to link with the defence.

Malik does all this.

The other thing we see with Malik, which is not measured, is his off the ball positioning to cut supply which is one of the most important thing with DMs. Partaalu was weak at this and didn't have the smarts. Half of the time I don't think he even knew what to do, hence left our CBs exposed.

I would say that Malik is becoming the best DM in the league. His link ups with our central and forward player will improve with game time and will be better come finals together with further strengthening of the defensive triangle.

Very very smart player indeed.

• Like 1