Melbourne Football

City vs Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Jan 18

Murfy1

It's been all us since the goal. Best chance was for I think Melling who couldnt keep his shot down. And Redders made a save.

Edit apparently it was Mooy whose shot went over. Also apparently it was Gooch's clearance not Redders' save, so just don't listen to me :P

Edited by fidrildid6

I don't know if it's because I've been watching quality teams during this asian cup, but I'm struggling to watch us play at the moment. Very ordinary. We are playing a team that is on a different level in every aspect of the game but still some of the absolute basics of the game we can't get right is giving me the shits. Mooy has been influential as usual with some great vision and passes. The usual suspects are living up to their reputation.

Edited by n i k o

HT 1-0 Dnipro

The team looked a lot better after the goal. Had more of the ball, and created a few chances, and weren't spending a lot of time deep in our own half defending (as the team was in the early part of the game in the lead up to Dnipro's goal).

Dnipro look a better side than Al Jazira. More athletic and fit, and they seem to have a pretty good team of players, whereas only a few players (the few international players like Vucinic) were quality for A Jazira.

Koren, playing as the striker, has had limited service, and consequently hasn't been too influential in this game. Perhaps Koren as the no 9, isn't very effective against stronger teams, whereas against weaker sides (like the Newcastle Jets) Koren can be pretty deadly there.

Interesting to see that Wielaert was taken off immediately after Dnipro scored. The goal did come down Wielaert's side (Wielaert started at RB again), and Wielaert's defending of the cross that assisted the goal for Dnipro looked sloppy. Wielaert might really be falling out of favour. Safuwan's looked better at RB, and he's pushed up field multiple times and has helped the team when in possession. 

Other than that, not too much has been that noteworthy. Mooy's probably been the best City player, influential as usual. And Chapman's looked solid, and is seemingly just about 100% fit.

Hopefully Kennedy gets some minutes in the second half. Kennedy's timeline was to do his own personnel fitness training in the final few weeks of December, and then he was scheduled to train with the team for 2 or so weeks starting about January 5th. So I reckon he should be fit enough to play some minutes, especially as the club has said multiple times that the plan is for Kennedy to debut on February 1st against WSW. That match is approaching quickly, so I reckon Kennedy will play some minutes in the 2nd half of this game. 

• Like 2

Melbourne City have dominated possession this half. Had a real good chance with a Mooy cross finding Williams (who was subbed on for Duff at the start of the 2nd half), but Williams headed at the keeper. A decent chance with a Safuwan cross to Koren. And a few minutes ago Koren had a goal disallowed.

Around the 60 minute Dnipro made 6 subs.

And right now City are continuing to do everything but score.

Edited by Murfy1

FT 1-1

A much better half from City. Dominated possession, created a number of chances and eventually got the reward with Williams scoring a goal.

Retre got a run for the last 20 minutes, and Murdocca and Hoffman made their returns back from injury to also play the final 20 minutes (Koren, Chapman and Mooy were the 3 players they replaced).

FT 1-1

A much better half from City. Dominated possession, created a number of chances and eventually got the reward with Williams scoring a goal.

Retre got a run for the last 20 minutes, and Murdocca and Hoffman made their returns back from injury to also play the final 20 minutes (Koren, Chapman and Mooy were the 3 players they replaced).

Murf, what's your assessment of Safuwan? He'd likely come to us for minimum wages - but is he up to the hurly burly of A-League?

Report: Melbourne City FC 1-1 FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk

19 January 2015

Melbourne City FC completed its tour of Abu Dhabi with a 1-1 draw and an impressive performance against Ukrainian side FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk at New York University’s Abu Dhabi Campus on Sunday night.

A strong FC Dnipro side, who are competing in the Europa League this season, opened the scoring in the 17th minute through a great headed goal from Roman Zozulya.

But second-half substitute David Williams restored parity with a deserved equaliser 15 minutes before the final whistle to secure a positive result.

In the second match of Melbourne City FC’s Abu Dhabi mid-season camp, John van’t Schip’s side held firm against a quality FC Dnipro outfit, while the return of Jason Hoffman and Massimo Murdocca from injury to match action in the second half were further positives.

The loss of Robbie Wielaert to an ankle complaint in the first half was the only concern for van’t Schip, despite his side trailing the Ukrainian Premier League side for the majority of the match and the A-League club registered an impressive display.

In Abu Dhabi on a mid-season break during the Ukrainian winter, it was FC Dnipro who struck first through Zozulya’s firm back-post header with the first meaningful chance of the match.

City enjoyed plenty of freedom down the left with Iain Ramsay and Ben Garuccio keeping their counterparts busy, but Melbourne’s first chance came from a Damien Duff cross from the right.

The former Irish international floated in a great ball for Aaron Mooy, who couldn’t angle an acrobatic volley down and on target in the 25th minute.

FC Dnipro enjoyed a spell of pressure just after the half-hour mark as Garuccio made a timely clearance from a dangerous cross, before a delightful sweeping move through the midfield saw Valeriy Luchkevych beat Andrew Redmayne with a low shot, only for his shot to richochet off the upright.

Zozulya turned the rebound goal-ward, but Redmayne recovered well to save and prevent the Ukrainian side from doubling its advantage.

Despite that chance, Melbourne City FC more than matched its opponent, looked promising going forward and maintained large spells of possession.

The second half saw van’t Schip’s side create a string of chances as Erik Paartalu nodded a corner over the bar, Williams forced ‘keeper Denys Boyko into a good save and had a goal disallowed for offside.

Arguably the move of the match nearly resulted in a sensational goal for Melbourne, with a quick ball from Mooy out to the right wing, where Williams’ first-time cross was volleyed home into the net superbly by Robi Koren in the 63rd minute.

But the goal was scratched out as Koren had strayed slightly into an offside position.

The equaliser finally came in the 75th minute through another nice move, with substitute Paulo Retre slipping Williams through on goal and the striker snuck the ball past Boyko with a neat finish.

Melbourne City FC depart for Australia on Tuesday evening and the Club’s next match is against Western Sydney Wanderers on Sunday 1 February in the Hyundai A-League.

Match Details

Mid-Season Friendly

Sunday 18 January 2015

Melbourne City FC 1 (David Williams 75’)

FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 (Roman Zozulya 17’)

New York University Abu Dhabi Campus, Abu Dhabi

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/report/zfcrbnv8fq841qxnnui7cl0um

FT 1-1

Murf, what's your assessment of Safuwan? He'd likely come to us for minimum wages - but is he up to the hurly burly of A-League?

I was wondering that as well. And after keeping an eye out for that in the Dnipro match, I believe he is. Safuwan won multiple 50-50s, and multiple aerial battles as well. Also he's somewhat tall, at about 6 feet.

I'm starting to think that Safuwan could be a pretty good find. He looks like a rather good central defender, and he can do a job at RB as well. Or to put it another way, going off the past 2 games Safuwan certainly looks no worse than our other defenders, bar Chapman.

Given that right now, assuming that Clisby plays at LB, the team has no real cover if Kisnorbo or Chapman or Hoffman are sidelined (there's only Archibald and Wielaert, who reportedly picked up an 'ankle complaint' in the last match), I think it would be pretty prudent to strengthen the defence a bit more, and Safuwan, who as noted could probably be signed on minimum wage, looks like a pretty good option to me. If he was European there'd probably be no opposition to signing him: he's 23, fit, played a few dozen international matches, can do a job at CB and RB, is good in possession and will probably sign for minimum wage.

So it's my opinion that the club might as well put one of the free squad spots to use, and sign Safuwan for the remaining half season.

On Kennedy, I was hopeful that he'd be good for 45 minutes, or 60 or possibly even 90 on February 1st. But now it looks like he'll only have a late substitution appearance, and maybe only play the last 30 odd minutes (and as Kennedy showed against Iraq in the World Cup qualifier, he can still make a real impact off the bench). I'm sure he's fit, he's been doing fitness training with Melbourne City since mid-December, and he's been training with the team since about January 5th. After Koren, I'm fine with Kennedy being slowly integrated into the team. And there's still 13 days to go before the WSW match, so I'm sure Kennedy will be ready to play some football by then.

FT 1-1

a few dozen international matches

43 international games to be exact. Albeit it's Singapore and in the ASEAN region so it's not exactly the highest standards of international football. Wasn't there a couple of Thais that played for MV years ago and I remembered they did alright?

Besides playing a lot of international matches against Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines and so on Safuwan has actually also played against the likes of Poland and Denmark. So even just with his 43 international matches, and even though most of them are against AFC and SE Asian opponents, those 43 matches (and counting) would give Safuwan a respectable amount of experience, which the majority of A-League players would actually lack (that is, the experience that comes from playing a lot of international football).

Surat Sukha and Sutee Suksomkit both played for victory. The former in particular got a fair bit of praise.

Not sure who that no 22 keeper is. Pretty sure it's not Ahmed Ali Mubarak (who I believe is this guy: http://www.jc.ae/en/players/ahmed-ali-mubarak.html/ ). I'm pretty certain though that he hasn't been in Melbourne City's NYL team before (at least I'm certain that he's not in the NYL this season).

Edited by Murfy1

IMO we should have applied to FFA to make Mooy our Aussie marquee and then we could have perhaps gone after a decent visa striker who would give us better service than Kennedy.

How about you wait until the season starts before you determine his worth? Not based upon him not playing in two practice games

• Like 2

IMO we should have applied to FFA to make Mooy our Aussie marquee and then we could have perhaps gone after a decent visa striker who would give us better service than Kennedy.

How about you wait until the season starts before you determine his worth? Not based upon him not playing in two practice games You do realise we are approximately halfway through the season yeh?