Melbourne Football

Originality

Joel21

After the first couple of Rounds of free to air viewing on SBS and watching heart away on dodgy streams a couple of things have become fairly evident regarding the supporting culture in the A-league.

Pretty much all clubs bar W.S seem to copy each other and don't really have an original atmosphere relative to A-League that sets them apart from other clubs in the league. 

Nearly every club sings "C'mon you boys in ...", "JCGE", "We love you" and even Melbourne tifosi has been sharked by Victory and Brisbane Roar.

The trumpet that heart brought in last year has now been copied by CCM and Western Sydney, and surely more clubs will begin to latch on soon.

I'm not sure if heart were the trendsetters of the league, but even if we were the first clubs to sing these songs, songs like JCGE and We love you have become as generic as the AFL "clap clap clap". 

I don't know exactly how this will be done but in my opinion we need to push for originality and have an atmosphere that sets us apart with a certain terrace identity, songs like snoop, Melbourne I'm in love are definitely songs in this category and differentiate us from other clubs, we just need more of it.

• Like 2

Can understand where you're coming from mate, but I don't see the reason in dropping certain chants just because they're being copied.

I think they've had their run, Honestly I think it's all about a distinct terrace culture that we can build on, It just seems that the Australian active scene is basically a mesh of borrowed scenes from around the world, It would be nice to have a Melbourne Demographic element added.

As for the copying of course we cannot control it and I don't want to trash Melbourne tifosi or COYBIR, just ditch the songs that don't really add to our home end identity and were good as a beginning but now have had their time.