Melbourne Football

Round 23 | 2:30pm Sunday, March 3rd | Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin

Jimmy

With our finances the way they are is it economically rational for us to travel to away games?

Unless an awesome deal comes up on a budget airline I say we stay at home and save some coin.

I've been to away Heart games each season, I even went to the final in Perth. I haven't wasted my money this season, it's more comfortable being frustrated and disappointed in my own home.

Edited by belaguttman

I just watched JA's interview on Fox:

http://www.foxsports...t=1111112039253

@32 seconds he said his half time talk was to stick to the game plan. That game plan would have had us 3-0 down in the first 25 minutes if the goal was two feet wider and a foot higher. And what spare man in midfield is he talking about? We were done.

Oh well, at least he sounds confident.

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

@32 seconds he said his half time talk was to stick to the game plan. That game plan would have had us 3-0 down in the first 25 minutes if the goal was two feet wider and a foot higher. And what spare man in midfield is he talking about? We were done.

no he sounds like an idiot with no idea

I posted up last week that this game and the next few games would give us an insigh into the character and quality of our players...

Todays game was nothing short of disappointing, this was a must win game for us, the pressure was on and the heart players folded.

What happened to Kelma, Babalj, Willo, Germano and even Fred when he came on??? Non of these players stood up today and once again intensity was missing. Add to that, the rubbish that is Thommo... Is it any wonder that we lose away and we keep losing away

JA's biggest mistake was dropping Vrankovic. Resultantly we could not play out from the back which threw our shape out and killed our ability to construct anything worthwhile.

Also, with the pitch rock hard the ball was bouncing around like a basketball, and with the nix were applying a full field press then countering down the flanks, which made it scrappy (it was like watching a game of afl) and with their crapness it suited them perfectly.

During the game JA tried to influence some change with some positive subs and tactical changes, but with our starting CB's, and our inability to beat the conditions and opposition with skilful passes and patience we were doomed to lose ....this was such a bad game to watch, it hurt my eyes and those commentators made me wanna punch a kiwi

Have a look at the first 3 pages of this topic. Massive suggestion (from me) that Colosimo is fighting for his spot with Vrankovic. And there were a few that said, experience is better than distribution. Hmmmm. Disagreed then, and definitely disagree now. Colosimo is a sweeper at best. He does not mark in the box. He stands in between either Jez or Paddy and the opposition player and watches the ball go past him. Against the Nix in Rd 2, he made an effort to swat with his arm, but not move his head or body in the way. Yesterday, he didn't even try. He is on borrowed time in many supporters eyes. Don't get me wrong, he is a great bloke and spoken many times to him at the Fan Sessions this season, but someone like JD has to step in, override JA and tell Simon he is on the pine, or even better, he is able to speak to other clubs about a contract with them for the next season.

Ok, Vrankovic has played 5-6 games. His distribution is better. He puts in. He might make a few mistakes, but have you seen the guy in his 30s making mistakes as well? You know those ones that lead to goals being scored? I don't get the logic of playing the experienced CB who, in reality, either retires at the end of this season, or the next, over blooding the lad you could give a 3 year deal to, and who knows, maybe you can sell him off to a PL club for a handsome transfer fee 2 years in?

Jez Walker is an absolute star. Germano played well, best of a bad bunch. Thompson has the creativity of a fly with one wing.

I still think someone like Miron needs to be appointed as a "Coaches Coach/Technical Director/AWAY COACH".

• Like 2

Well it doesn't get much worse than that!! You could pick immediately within the first minute the lack off attack on the ball. Sitting and waiting so early and so often only to be cut off easily. I coach juniors, and the one thing that is non-negotiable is effort. I don't mind being done on skill, you can't help that. But you can at least fucking try. Given our poor away form, these guys should have come out trying to rip someones head off. That's what killed me watching this. It wasn't until Fred came on and starting giving lip did we look any better. He, Gol Gol and Germano were the only ones who showed anything - the rest were rubbish (although I suspect Garcia was injured in that heavy fall).

Out coached and outpressed. Their forwards covered us playing out and no one was giving options. Colossimo doesn't have the confidence to play out and Gerhardt had an ordinary game. Coyne had a shocker. Outplayed, outmuscled and his passing was really bad. I was yelling at the screen when he pushed forward, easily stripped and then he either didn't have the motor to get back, or couldn't be fucked. An awful look. A defining game for him. You mightn't get the skill from Mitchinson (and today you could question that), but you'd be guaranteed effort. I was giving Coyne time, but today was piss poor. Even Walker had a down day, but I can forgive that in a first year player.

I almost had a stroke watching Thompson. So often sitting on the ball waiting for it to hatch, it was just unbelievable. Any transition was basically stopped dead in its tracks. Really, really poor from an experienced player. Meeuwis has to start next week to avoid a repeat of that rubbish. Willo tried and ran hard with no delivery at all, and Babalj needs to shut the fuck up, stop whinging to the ref and his teammates, and start concentrating on playing the ball. If Tadic is back next week, the kid needs to be taken down a peg and taught that his body language and mouth are bringing the team down.

The worst performer for us today however was JA. It was obvious the new wellington coach over the last week had demanded more pressure from his forwards coming out. The Adelaide game was a good example. JA had nothing to counter this and picks Colossimo to boot. Clearly outnumbered in midfield with a 4-4-2 and a high press from Wellington, he should have been ripping Into his players to present and give more options. Instead it was the usual long ball shit to an outnumbered midfield and, surprise, surprise, we constantly gave the ball up. Amateur coaching not to mention the inability to motivate the players.

I agree, our inability to play out against any sort of press has been evident from the Perth practice game at the start of the season, again created by poor midfield positioning and poor midfield movement off the ball. I agree with your comments about Coyne, we had to sign the best available option but he gives up little going forward and is defensively meh. Thompsons decision making is getting even slower, and this is made worse by him moving the ball into a good position but then totally nullifying the attack as forwards have to check their runs whilst he makes up his mind.

The worst aspect though seemed to be the lack of communication on field amongst the players.

I remember a few away games ago. Might of even been Newcastle. The reporter came back and said Aloisi basically just said, Be better. hahahahahaha. He obviously said more than that, but that kinda sums it up hahaha.