Melbourne Football

Roar brawl to create Origin rivalry (FoxSports)

Are people actually dissappointed by this?

It's another rivalry, and another way to get people through the turnstiles.

Considering Roar's success and Sydney's profile, it could make for fantastic viewing considering they're two of the biggest teams in the league.

Developing strong supporter strongholds in Brisbane and Adelaide, imo, should be paramount for the FFA, imo.

I haven't read the article...people, please start posting the articles in the thread for the sake of people who access the forums via dodgy Nokia phones.

But if the FFA is trying to fabricate yet another rivalry instead of letting it come along by events on and off the pitch, that's pretty disappointing. These things happen by themselves and most of the time are influenced by state pride, especially in this country where local rivals are practically non existent.

I have no problem with there being a rivalry, by all means state-state rivalries are awesome.

However the sport doesn't need media constantly relating fans/games back to other codes. it's like saying the media saying if FFA allowed all flags in the terraces it would be like flag waving at the AFL - do you see what i'm saying?

As foxsports user 'bob' from the blue mountains says:

"a - why do we need rugby league references in our game. b - who cares about what state a club comes from...it's irrelevant. Do we now need to hear about state of origin everytime a nsw club plays a qld club. A-league clubs are based in cities where the population is. States are political lines on a map."

I have no problem with there being a rivalry, by all means state-state rivalries are awesome.

However the sport doesn't need media constantly relating fans/games back to other codes. it's like saying the media saying if FFA allowed all flags in the terraces it would be like flag waving at the AFL - do you see what i'm saying?

As foxsports user 'bob' from the blue mountains says:

"a - why do we need rugby league references in our game. b - who cares about what state a club comes from...it's irrelevant. Do we now need to hear about state of origin everytime a nsw club plays a qld club. A-league clubs are based in cities where the population is. States are political lines on a map."

Many Football Rivalries IN Europe have spread into to being expressed into different codes or vice versa.

One good example is in Northern England in the Rugby League areas were many people attend the derbies between their local side in both codes with those of rival areas expressing the same rivalry.

This was highlighted by Casual Firms in early the 1980’s having physical encounters at RL Games as well as Football matches.

You can also draw a connecting line between the age old Rugby Union rivalry between Wales and England into the rivalry between the Welsh Football sides (Primarily Cardiff) and the more traditionally nationalistic sides of England such as Chelsea and Leeds.

Not only that there is of course the fact that highest grades of the most popular codes of club sport in Eastern Europe are usually run out the same clubs (Examples being Fener, or AEK Athens). I am sure there have been many incidents at the Basketball for example between rival clubs have that have also heighted the rivalry between the fans at the Football.

The supporter who comments you highlighted are a perfect example IMO of when Australian A League supporters become too precious about their game and try fence out things that are uniquely Australian just for the want to emulate Europe without even knowing the facts first.

People like this have to grow up as such guarding of the game only isolates future supporters who may interested in becoming bigger supporters. The fact is we live in Australia and are League is an Australian and this is never going to change and the reality is that Australians are always going to like other sports as well as Football.

People coming to games because of a Inter-State rivalry from another sport can only be a good thing. As its people coming to the game and even if most don’t keep coming you are certain that at least some will and will learn about the history of game and become proper supporters.

I would like to these many of these 4-4-2 Forum A League purists actually come and stand on the bank of a VPL game one day in Northcote or Heidelberg on day. As every time I have been I hear the people who either are themselves or are the descendents of those who created the original Football infrastructure of game spend the whole game asking each other what the “Footy Score is at the MCG?”

There was a Queensland - New South Wales rivalry before State of Origin - it just became a fantastic vehicle for that rivalry to play out thats all. There had already been a Roar - Sydney FC rivalry established prior to that game- Sydney draw bigger crowds than any other away team- everyone in Queensland wants to see a team in sky blue lose, regardless of the game being played.

In regards to the game itself can I say the one thing better than watching Sydney lose was watching them lose like that! I only wish it was us playing them.

I've always wondered why this wasn't big from the start. Maybe the FFA can get in the ear of a Sydney player to do something controversial to really get this started. lol

With a few finals played between these two this could hopefully nudge out the Victory-Sydney rivalry a bit. Just cause I hate victory.